• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League T20 2014

Howsie

International Captain
Your having a laugh surely?

We have enough batting as it is, Santner at seven and Kuggeleijn is just fine. Especially since Southee, Sodhi and Boult aren't exactly the worst 9-11 ever either. Need the bowling fire power.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah I'd want Harris in there. Santner for Kuggs is fine but it's good to have a genuine batsman there that has a different mode of scoring.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Completely serious. KW is in the form of his life, but Harris is still the better T20 player. Devich is mediocre, as is Flynn im this format and I wouldn't want to place any trust in Styris. I feel that without Harris we are too dependant on the top 3. Lower order slogging isn't dependable against quality bowlers, and neither santner or kugglejuggle are good enough with the blade as of yet.

Southee, Boult, Styris, Sodhi, Devcich, Santner/kuggle is adequate. Having both of the latter two is just more overs of mediocrity

Howsie

International Captain
That bowling attack is adequate until Styris gets rightly pumped, or Sodhi eventually has a bad game. I think we've gotten a little bit lucky by winning four from four with the way Kuggeleijn has bowled and going into games with Styris expected to bowl four overs. Santner is a proper bat, he bats six in first class cricket, he's good enough to bat at seven here IMO.

Edit: Williamson head and shoulders above Harris as a 20/20 bat too. I mean is Harris even a regular in his big bash team? He's not that great, I'd still take Styris (in these conditions) over him and probably even Devcich.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
ND have been cruising along because no one could handle KW, Watling, Southee and Boult. That could change of course.

There isn't really an ideal balance you can achieve with the squad unless Anderson miraculously comes in. KW, Devcich, Flynn, Harris, Watling, Styris, Anderson with Watling able to drop down the order if required would be perfect. Alternatively drop Devcich and play an extra bowler.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Santner isnt the finished product yet though. He's played only the one T20 game to date and his record in the other two forms is as mediocre as it gets. Kugglejuggle more likely to connect with a few so keeps the spot imo.

In other news would be awfully ironic if we get ripped through by Laughlin.

BeeGee

International Captain
Boult getting utterly pulverized. Horrifically bad bowling.

Hilfenhaus showing how it's done. A good old fashioned thrashing.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Back to reality, not sure who else can bowl at the death but I do think Boult should bowl out at the start.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
ND were reliant on Laughin most of the tournament, and have occasionally used Anderson. The cupboard is bare. Its boult or its kuggle or its spin. Probably all equally poor at the death, so I agree that Boult should do four up front.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
No, Boult should bowl at the death, and he needs to get good at it.

Shouldn't take much for a fast skiddy bowler with a good yorker to get get good at this, just some more experience.

For NZs sake. I hope ND don't panic, NZ need death bowlers, not yet another 'open and complete your 10 (or 4) early' merchant.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
My impression is that Mitchell is rubbish v spin, based on this innings, a terrible stumping v SL on last years A tour , and that he has a similar background to Brownlie .....

Tbh, the Brownlie thing probably makes me expect he is rubbish v spin and I'm noticing when things conform to this view.

But in this tournament we can expect more spin as it progresses? Are pitches getting re-used?

Dan Harris is from Adelaide therefore good v spin?

GGG

State Captain
No, Boult should bowl at the death, and he needs to get good at it.

Shouldn't take much for a fast skiddy bowler with a good yorker to get get good at this, just some more experience.

For NZs sake. I hope ND don't panic, NZ need death bowlers, not yet another 'open and complete your 10 (or 4) early' merchant.
It is not just a case of open and complete your overs it is more of a damn you are so much better with a hard swinging ball so lets try and get wickets now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
My impression is that Mitchell is rubbish v spin, based on this innings, a terrible stumping v SL on last years A tour , and that he has a similar background to Brownlie .....

Tbh, the Brownlie thing probably makes me expect he is rubbish v spin and I'm noticing when things conform to this view.

But in this tournament we can expect more spin as it progresses? Are pitches getting re-used?

Dan Harris is from Adelaide therefore good v spin?
Nah Harris looks quite poor. Mitchell's definitely poor. Big front-foot lunges and a cut-across defence, low percentage sweeps to unsuitable deliveries.

Howsie

International Captain
Yep. Mitchell's really strong on the pull (as you would've seen against Malinga) Dean Brownlie is probably a pretty good comparison. Difference being Mitchell's eight years younger, lot of time to work on that part of his game.

Question for Kippax perhaps, but how has Franklin qualified to play for this Windies team?

GGG

State Captain
Yeah I was wondering that myself, he isn't listed in their squad, maybe he was just a late signing and just isn't listed.

Last edited: