• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Right-handed and Left-handed Batsmen

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Average of top 50 (test agg runs) right handed batsman 47.22
Average of top 50 (test agg runs) left handed batsman 42.96

I am not very good with stats guru - someone to calculate it for all batsman. The top 50 will always favour right handers as there are more of them to choose a top 50 from.
O, 4.26 difference is not small. What can be the reason for that?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup, I was wrong about that.

Here is what Rahul Dravid said in a recent speech
For instance, the story of Sunil Gavaskar batting left handed to counter the left-arm spin of Raghuram Bhat and salvaging a draw in the 1981-82 Ranji Trophy semifinals. I remember watching that game as a kid and was amazed at what I saw. On the one hand you had Raghuram Bhat who bowled magically and easily out-bowled the younger Ravi Shastri. On the other hand, you had the genius of Sunil Gavaskar being outrageous and batting left-handed to one bowler and right handed to the others.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
RHB:LHB is like 5:1. So first 50 RHB vs first 10 LHBs would do a better comparison.
This basically - if I could export all the query results to Excel rather than cutting and pasting them I could do a proper analysis.

I am very interested to know the overall difference in averages, personally I think it is an easier gig to be a lefty as you can just clip everything on the stumps through mid wicket.