• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v Australia in UAE 2014

wiff

First Class Debutant
I turned the game off after australia had pakistan 2-5 in the first innings. Was very surprised that we lost it from there.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Think Smith could handle 3 in this series but I agree it doesn't help him or the team in the long run. Not keen on Hughes at 3 where he will start against spin. Wouldn't surprise me if they brought in Maxwell and then also swapped SOK for another bowler.

dermo

warner
rogers
smith
clarke
maxwell
marsh
haddin
johnson
siddle/starc
sok
lyon

not sure if its the right option but i think this is what they'll go with

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think Smith could handle 3 in this series but I agree it doesn't help him or the team in the long run. Not keen on Hughes at 3 where he will start against spin. Wouldn't surprise me if they brought in Maxwell and then also swapped SOK for another bowler.
Agreed re Smith

Don't think the selectors would do it as it would almost certainly consign Doolan to the test scrapheap and I doubt that they are ready to do that yet

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Warner
2. Maxwell
3. Johnson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Starc
9. O'Keefe
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

You know you want to, Replacement Invers.

Tangles

Agreed re Smith

Don't think the selectors would do it as it would almost certainly consign Doolan to the test scrapheap and I doubt that they are ready to do that yet
He's a walking wicket if he stays in this series but Hughes would be the same. I don't like keeping him or a funky Maxwell selection. Vexing.

adub

International Captain
Same XI for me. Maxwell for Doolers the only possible consideration I think, but I agree the selectors will want to give him one more shot to stake a claim before the home series.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh the joy of winning against a side that dominates you! Read this interesting nugget on Twitter:

"Combined experience of Pak XI after Test is 86 wickets, their least experienced side to win a Test since the Oval 1954 vs Eng (71 wickets)."
Was the 1954 one before or after the Test?

uvelocity

International Coach
for this next test

warner
rogers
clarke
smith
maxwell
marsh
haddin
johnson
siddle
lyon
starc

would change for brisbane regardless of the result. watson to bat 3 in brisbane and smith back to 5

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This must have been a decent shout for the time, Gooch may skew it a bit.

Oh beaten by Howe, never mind.
No idea where it stands in this particular list, but this England side wouldn't have had a truck load of test wickets at the time.

3rd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Aug 14-18, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Probably spoiled by Giles' stellar series in Pakistan a couple of years earlier tbf.

EDIT
The other obvious contender would be the first SA side to win a test after readmission.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
ftr you can use the 'career averages' option from the top of the cricinfo card to see all the players' records at the time of the game.

That game doesn't quite fit the bill wp, flintoff and giles had a hundred between them from the previous few years

Edit: on to a winner re: south africans, they only had 47

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ftr you can use the 'career averages' option from the top of the cricinfo card to see all the players' records at the time of the game.

That game doesn't quite fit the bill wp, flintoff and giles had a hundred between them from the previous few years

Yeah, I was swayed too much by how inexperienced Jimmy, Harmy & Kirtley were. It would have helped if Giles had been left out for Kabir Ali in that test,instead of the next one.

The other thing that didn't help was Tres, Vaughan and Butcher having 21 test scalps between them.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Out of curiosity, why is Usman Khawaja's name never brought up in terms of a batting replacement? He seemingly performed well for Queensland in the Matador Cup. Has he completely been written off from National selection based on his last stint with the side?