• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v Australia in UAE 2014

91Jmay

International Coach
Lyon the big disappointment this one, I thought he was becoming one of the worlds best but he needs to do more on tracks that help (although its not a bunsen). Overall though you have to say Pakistan played very, very well. This Aussie side isn't great on slow pitches and it showed again here.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Atleast a bit of a fight from the lower order, but was never going to be enough. Unless the top order stop playing spin like nincompoops, Australia won't win. Doolan's gotta go, imo. Looked completely inept for the conditions.

Last edited:

Daemon

Did O'Keefe and Lyon bowl poorly relative to their potential or did they do alright and Pakistan just negotiated them easily?

Riggins

International Captain
Lyon has bowled really well in that around the wicket, containing/pressure building role. In the last Ashes he really benefitted from the extra bounce and scoreboard pressure. He's always been suspect when he needs to bowl that aggressive over the wicket / through the gate line though.

Burgey

The manner. They're meant to be one of the best sides in the world and they get dicked by 200 runs after having the opposition 2-5 and then rolling over twice.
Yeah you don't often make 300 in your first dig and cop a shellacking as big as that.

It's funny how we seem to lose heavily when we depart from a four bowler, six batsmen strategy (Watson really being more part time than front line bowler to me).

Tough debuts for Marsh and SOK. The clock must be well and truly ticking on Haddin now as well.

morgieb

Did O'Keefe and Lyon bowl poorly relative to their potential or did they do alright and Pakistan just negotiated them easily?
Lyon struggled, but he was played quite well and looked dangerous at times.

O'Keefe just doesn't look Test-class IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lyon bowled poorly by his standards. I'd be tempted to say "none of the above" for O'Keefe and suggest he's perhaps just not enough of a threat to be a Test bowler in a spin-based attack unless it's a real bunsen but adub would eat me so I won't say that. :)

morgieb

Yeah you don't often make 300 in your first dig and cop a shellacking as big as that.

It's funny how we seem to lose heavily when we depart from a four bowler, six batsmen strategy (Watson really being more part time than front line bowler to me).

Tough debuts for Marsh and SOK. The clock must be well and truly ticking on Haddin now as well.
Yeah Hads won't last past the World Cup. Maybe he goes on another Ashes tour as he seems to love playing England, but I think it's time to blood a Nevill or a Whiteman.

Riggins

International Captain
Lyon bowled poorly by his standards. I'd be tempted to say "none of the above" for O'Keefe and suggest he's perhaps just not enough of a threat to be a Test bowler in a spin-based attack unless it's a real bunsen but adub would eat me so I won't say that. :)
Nah SOK isn't up to it. Peter Principle in full effect.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Steve Smith looked very good. A lot of use of footwork. Perhaps other Australian batsmen can take cue from that to try and improve against spin.

Burgey

Who's the next best opener on Australia? Must be a shout to come in at three come Brisbane. I'd like to see Doolander do well, but he seems too one dimensional at the top level, though he could well fill his boots against India here if they persist.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Haddin's poor results in South Africa and this Test have anything to do with age, tbh. He averaged 61 last summer in the Ashes and he's always been a terrible overseas batsman; it's just continuing on the trend he's set for his entire career.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wow. Great fight back from the aussies. Well done. Would have never thought at lunch that it would go to the last session.

And well played Pakistan to do well on a reasonably easy wicket.

morgieb

Who's the next best opener on Australia? Must be a shout to come in at three come Brisbane. I'd like to see Doolander do well, but he seems too one dimensional at the top level, though he could well fill his boots against India here if they persist.
Hughes. Other than him....you'd probably have to roll the dice on Silk or Maddinson.

EDIT: Also Cowan isn't dead yet, but him and Rogers in the same line-up feels way too samey.