• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v Australia in UAE 2014

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm not going get to 300 words, but I think the decision to bring in Hilf is a poor one especially given the conditions that he's likely to be bowling in; if the tour was to New Zealand or England I might be a little more forgiving, but Hilfy in the UAE, please!

Who's currently available out of Patto, Starc, Bird, Behrendorff, Sayers and Hazlewood?
Bit of an odd selection. Old boys club? There has to be better options who are fit.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not going get to 300 words, but I think the decision to bring in Hilf is a poor one especially given the conditions that he's likely to be bowling in; if the tour was to New Zealand or England I might be a little more forgiving, but Hilfy in the UAE, please!

Who's currently available out of Patto, Starc, Bird, Behrendorff, Sayers and Hazlewood?
Starc's in the side already, bird, Patto and hazlewood are all unavailable afaik.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bit of an odd selection. Old boys club? There has to be better options who are fit.
Yeah that's what I think.

Starc's in the side already, bird, Patto and hazlewood are all unavailable afaik.
Oh yeah, of course Starc is there. I had it in my head that Johnson and Siddle were the only 2 quicks (before Hilf joined them).

BTW, Hazlewood is definitely available. He played Sydney Grade Cricket yesterday.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hazlewood being fit for Grade =/= Hazlewood being fit for Tests.

Not to mention I think they might ease him in with a home debut anyway; why run him into the ground on unresponsive UAE tracks and potentially re-injure him when you can potentially debut him on a sporting Brisbane deck against India?

Hilfy, for all his faults, rarely breaks. Given how attritional this series could be, and the likelihood of going in with two seamers only, durability is a very important trait IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's like Younis Khan has overnight realised he plays for Pakistan. All time great wahhh from the man.

Tangles

If we play 2 spinners and he's 4 th in the order then he may not play. So it's an opportunity to take someone for experience. I feel better about it if it's going to take 2 injuries fit him to play.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hazlewood being fit for Grade =/= Hazlewood being fit for Tests.

Not to mention I think they might ease him in with a home debut anyway; why run him into the ground on unresponsive UAE tracks and potentially re-injure him when you can potentially debut him on a sporting Brisbane deck against India?

Hilfy, for all his faults, rarely breaks. Given how attritional this series could be, and the likelihood of going in with two seamers only, durability is a very important trait IMO.
Hmm, not sure durability is that important in a two-Test series.

morgieb

I think with Hilfy he was picked as he's proven at Test level unlike the other options (Bollinger notwithstanding, who may be injured anyway) and therefore would be a better option if a bowler wakes up with a strain or something than the Sayers and the Berendroffs of the world.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
perhaps, still a step backwards though, future bowlers have to make their debuts sometime

Spikey

i mean, the likeliest answer is that they think Hilf's action is sorted

it'll just collapse in a months time anyway ftr

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If we play 2 spinners and he's 4 th in the order then he may not play. So it's an opportunity to take someone for experience. I feel better about it if it's going to take 2 injuries fit him to play.
I guess they want to see some of the young guys playing in the Domestic One day comp starting next week instead of giving them experience watching from the sidelines.

Tangles

Playing is better than watching but 1 day games aren't the same. The team balance for the 1st test will be interesting. I'm expecting 2 spinners at this point.

Spikey

Jesse HoganVerified account ‏@Jesse_Hogan
Aus Test selection plans vs Pak on hold pending outcome. MT @ShirinSadikot: Scorchers lose Mitchell Marsh. He's off the field with a limp.