• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v Australia in UAE 2014

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I'd stick with Lyon for now, but the only way Siddle/Starc survive is if Harris doesn't get up in time and the Hazlewood/NCN types have a shocker in the Shield.
NCN is not an improvement on siddle or starc, though you can lock hazelwood in for the gabba assuming patto is still injured

Spark

Global Moderator
So was the last ashes series for me.

When we lost in UAE that was annoying as we were in most of the games and threw them away. This is a mauling like you did to us but in a very different way.
You can say that about the Ashes to a (small) extent too, mind. Broad and Anderson was superb in that UAE series too

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NCN is not an improvement on siddle or starc, though you can lock hazelwood in for the gabba assuming patto is still injured
Patto won't be back for a while. Strong doubts over his recovery, apparently.

Burgey

Thought you were a big Lyon fan.
I am, as much as anyone can like a finger spinner. They're a blight on the game.

But he's still got to perform to some extent. He's looked toothless in these conditions.

I think we've missed a trick not opening with spinners in some of these digs. The Pakistan tweakers have been more effective with the new rock than the old one.

dermo

Patto won't be back for a while. Strong doubts over his recovery, apparently.
johnson harris and haze for the gabba then

i'd have sayers for harris if he's injured to but i highly doubt the selectors will go that way

dermo

I am, as much as anyone can like a finger spinner. They're a blight on the game.

But he's still got to perform to some extent. He's looked toothless in these conditions.

I think we've missed a trick not opening with spinners in some of these digs. The Pakistan tweakers have been more effective with the new rock than the old one.
lyon relies a lot on bounce to take wickets, that's why he's struggled so much over here

was at his most dangerous when he bowled that spell at i think the end of day 1 of the first test with the second new ball

OverratedSanity

Thought you were a big Lyon fan.
I like Lyon too, but imo he shares as much blame as the Aussie batsmen. The pitches haven't been roads, because no matter how badly Australia have batted, Babar and Yasir have bowled brilliantly, and have certainly got far more out of this pitch than Lyon ever did. He lacked a bit of luck I felt, but he just hasn't even looked threatening for most of this series. Really poor.

Burgey

There's a ****ing epic interview on sbs one atm recorded with Gough Whitlam a few years back.

morgieb

johnson harris and haze for the gabba then

i'd have sayers for harris if he's injured to but i highly doubt the selectors will go that way
Just checked up on Harris, he should be OK for the first Test. Apparently bowled today in grade cricket, and is targeting the second Shield match for his FC comeback.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like Lyon too, but imo he shares as much blame as the Aussie batsmen. The pitches haven't been roads, because no matter how badly Australia have batted, Babar and Yasir have bowled brilliantly, and have certainly got far more out of this pitch than Lyon ever did. He lacked a bit of luck I felt, but he just hasn't even looked threatening for most of this series. Really poor.
He deserves far, far more blame than the Australian batsmen, who frankly have been irrelevant as far as the result is concerned bar a single innings.

Burgey

theres a ****ing dire analysis of the aussie batting lineup on fox two atm live with brendon julian right now
I just caught that. Some good footage of Viv'a 56 ball ton though.

Whoever said AB doesn't rate Craddock seems to be correct. The great man gets it right again.

uvelocity

International Coach
He deserves far, far more blame than the Australian batsmen, who frankly have been irrelevant as far as the result is concerned bar a single innings.
hes still our best option for home conditions. if we were gonna play another two tests id fly over zampa or some other leggy and hope for the best. probs wouldnt work either though

flibbertyjibber

I don't see the need for wholesale changes, you have India coming up who will wave the white flag as soon as they see Johnson's moustache. The one thing you should do is perhaps rotate certain players who you see as key members of the side for the world cup to keep them fresh and fit but other than that you should stick with as many members of the ashes winning side as you can.

uvelocity

International Coach
I just caught that. Some good footage of Viv'a 56 ball ton though.

Whoever said AB doesn't rate Craddock seems to be correct. The great man gets it right again.
yeah that was good. in another league with the bits of plywood they used to bat with imo

Burgey

@Jono.

What's whether I'm a Lyon fan got to do with whether I think he's bowled well this series? I mean, you'd kiss Kohli's sweaty bollocks, but he didn't know which end of the bat to hold in England this year.

OverratedSanity

Wouldn't go that far, because there's no way Australia should be falling over like this, but mostly agree. Australia can shout from the balconies all they want about batting on bouncy pitches being "for men", but this is equally awful.... looked completely out of their depth.

flibbertyjibber

@Jono.

What's whether I'm a Lyon fan got to do with whether I think he's bowled well this series? I mean, you'd kiss Kohli's sweaty bollocks, but he didn't know which end of the bat to hold in England this year.
You're just less of a Lyon fan now you can't troll he is better than Swann. Admit it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wouldn't go that far, because there's no way Australia should be falling over like this, but mostly agree. Australia can shout from the balconies all they want about batting on bouncy pitches being "for men", but this is equally awful.... looked completely out of their depth.
It's scoreboard pressure, though. This sort of thing happens all the time in situations like these.

Don't get me wrong, yesterday was horrendous batting, but I find it difficult to care that much when the match was decided before Warner and Rogers faced a single ball.