• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Religious comments by Ahmed Shehzad to Dilshan

91Jmay

International Coach
Its pretty ordinary isn't it. If he is found guilty I'd imagine a ban of some description is in order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to withhold judgement on this one until Dilshan either makes a statement or files a complaint. It's the sort of thing you'd commonly hear as banter between two mates of different religions I think but if it was meant to be a proper sledge then it's obviously not on. Depends how it was meant and how Dilshan took it really.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dilshan is an apostate.

There's video evidence as well. But apparently Dilshan is not going to press charges. May be higher forces close to being divine is at work. PCB has been a good allie of SLC. most probably will be swept under the carpet.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
"You're gonna burn for eternity unless you become a ........" is the basest and most pathetic way to try and get people to adhere to your religion. No time for that sort of crap.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to withhold judgement on this one until Dilshan either makes a statement or files a complaint. It's the sort of thing you'd commonly hear as banter between two mates of different religions I think but if it was meant to be a proper sledge then it's obviously not on. Depends how it was meant and how Dilshan took it really.
I disagree TBH. Whether Dilshan files a complaint should be immaterial in this case.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
From what I have experienced, these things are not said in banter. People usually mean it when they say it.

brockley

International Captain
Depends if you say it out of concern or arrogance,depends on the situation.
If you genuinely believe in hell you can be worried for the person.
If it said in arrogance well that shows the manner of the person.
Personally i would not say it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hell's not real. It's invented by religions to scare people into compliance/donations/loyalty...

andmark

International Captain
Yeah, I can see what you mean and that bringing up concerns like that could be doing an, at least, well meant thing to do. The problem here though is that it was in a context where the big questions should be miles away i.e: a cricket pitch where it could be seen as a dodgy sledge. (if it was in, say, a relaxed post match conversation and he said something like "mate, I'm worried..." then it would be a different story).

watson

Banned
If they were having Ford Vs Holden debate, an argument about US Foreign Policy, or an altercation about whether Tendulkar is greater than Bradman then in it is very likely that we wouldn't be reading about it in the media.

However, just because the topic of discussion involves someones religious faith we all go "tut-tut" and blubber "well he shouldn't do that!" like a bunch of mamby-pamby school girls getting upset at someone criticising Justin Beeber's hairstyle.

Shezhad may have well told that Dilshan that "Zeus will send you to Hades if you don't believe in Aphrodite" for all it's worth. It really is about as serious as that and not worth anyones time.

The fact that Shazhad's comments might actually mean something significant indicates that a percentage of the planet is still stuck in the Bronze Age, or perhaps more to the point - the Dark Ages.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The whole thing would be completely trivial were it not for the perception we westerners have of Muslims not having much of a sense of humour about their religion.

I'd like to think Dilshan's response was something like "You can keep your 72 virgins, mate, I'll settle for being one with the universe."

brockley

International Captain
I would have said are you looking after your afterlife,much more tactical and less aggressive.
Definitely not as offensive for some as Jesus to said he was God to the Jews.Cultturally thats a lot stronger.
I think tact is a better way.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hell's not real. It's invented by religions to scare people into compliance/donations/loyalty...
If you tried living with my second wife you'd soon realise that hell is very real, and has an RG2 postcode

watson

Banned
If you tried living with my second wife you'd soon realise that hell is very real, and has an RG2 postcode
'Hell has no fury like a women scorned'.

Or as it was first written;

"Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd."

(William Congreve, 'The Mourning Bride' : Act III Scene 2)

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Religious preachers will always start by sounding concerned. Preaching is still repulsive and obnoxious.