• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Religious comments by Ahmed Shehzad to Dilshan

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Basically, wac comments and Shezad takes his religion too seriously, which is worrying given world events

Not much else to add

watson

Banned
Basically, wac comments and Shezad takes his religion too seriously, which is worrying given world events

Not much else to add
But you are supposed to take your religion seriously, otherwise what's the point in being religious?

Islamic law is quite explicit - if a Muslim converts to another religion then he will burn in hellfire for all eternity. If we assume this to be a very painful and protracted process then Shezad should in all conscience remind and warn Dilshan of his horrible predicament in the most convincing way possible.

Why God should have someone's soul tortured in hell for a trillion years or so just because they chose to change teams is another matter. Personally, I find this kind of behaviour overly possessive and something only a psychopath would do.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Many more brilliant male minds than mine have failed to work out what makes women tick so I don't think I'll be embarking on any voyages of discovery - am thinking about creating an alter ego called Julius though
Honestly, it's not worth the trials and tribulations. Well, it is for a while, but then reality will crush you. But once that happens you just create a new alter ego. Live for the moment!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meh. No big deal. It's not like he was personally threatened with anything. I mean clearly if you truly believe that your religion is the true one and everyone else will go to hell, it should be your duty to try to convince other people because you'd be saving them from an eternity of pain.

It's easy to say no thanks. As long as it's left as that and there is no other pressure put on or threats made, I don't really have a problem with what happened. It would be a cause for investigation if there is pressure put on within a team to adhere to a religion or it's implied that a selection will depend on such things.

GGG

State Captain
I mean clearly if you truly believe that your religion is the true one and everyone else will go to hell, it should be your duty to try to convince other people because you'd be saving them from an eternity of pain.
So they should of argued back and forth on the merits of each of their beliefs? I think it is best to keep your religion to yourself and let others make up their own mind .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No. What Dilshan said was fine. He wasn't exactly being badgered. Plus, they talk all the time on the field anyway (granted this was as they were coming off).

'hey please do this if you don't want to burn in hell.' 'Give me a nice half volley and maybe I'll think about it'.

THey ask, you say no. NO big deal. No reason to argue. Unless you want to. In which case, go ahead.

91Jmay

International Coach
No. What Dilshan said was fine. He wasn't exactly being badgered. Plus, they talk all the time on the field anyway (granted this was as they were coming off).

'hey please do this if you don't want to burn in hell.' 'Give me a nice half volley and maybe I'll think about it'.

THey ask, you say no. NO big deal. No reason to argue. Unless you want to. In which case, go ahead.
Given that there are specific laws against what Shehzad said, you are totally wrong.

brockley

International Captain
I see this as lesser,we should be worrying about Indian and England fans booing Moewin Ali this is more a concern.

watson

Banned
I see this as lesser,we should be worrying about Indian and England fans booing Moewin Ali this is more a concern.

Obvious political ammunition for the UKIP and other right-wing parties - and they'd have a valid point for a change.

Moeen abuse shows cricket's dark side
The booing of Moeen Ali at Edgbaston revealed the ugly side of sporting rivalry and suggested intolerance remains in the UK. It should not be ignored

....Because, in the middle of Birmingham on a bright afternoon in 2014, we saw at least one player subjected to abuse from a far from insubstantial section of the crowd on the basis of either his religion or his national or ethnic origin.

Moeen Ali was booed when he came out to bat. He was booed when he came on to bowl. He was booed most times he touched the ball. And he was booed either because he is a player of Asian origin playing for England - Ravi Bopara also attracted some boos, though far fewer - because he is Muslim or, perhaps most pertinently, because he is of Pakistani origin and the vast majority of the crowd were India supporters.

George Dobell on the booing of Moeen Ali | Cricket News | England v India | ESPN Cricinfo

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
At one level I see what Watson and SS are saying. But think about it this way. Would Shehzad's behaviour be acceptable in workplace? I don't think so and I don't think cricket field should be treated any differently. It's a place for professionals to perform in return of being paid money. This was poor from Shehzad IMO. Preaching even out of genuine concern should be kept out of some settings.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh. No big deal. It's not like he was personally threatened with anything. I mean clearly if you truly believe that your religion is the true one and everyone else will go to hell, it should be your duty to try to convince other people because you'd be saving them from an eternity of pain.

It's easy to say no thanks. As long as it's left as that and there is no other pressure put on or threats made, I don't really have a problem with what happened. It would be a cause for investigation if there is pressure put on within a team to adhere to a religion or it's implied that a selection will depend on such things.
I agree with most of this, but the only thing i really had an aissue with was the "be ready for the fire" comment. I mean, wtf is that supposed to mean? I'm not saying he'll become a suicide bomber, but that's such a dumb thing to say.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think we have forgotten how dumb sportspeople can be. I blame Ed Cowan, Dravid and Sangakkara for this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At one level I see what Watson and SS are saying. But think about it this way. Would Shehzad's behaviour be acceptable in workplace? I don't think so and I don't think cricket field should be treated any differently. It's a place for professionals to perform in return of being paid money. This was poor from Shehzad IMO. Preaching even out of genuine concern should be kept out of some settings.
Haha I'm not saying what he said was okay, but that standard most certainly cannot be used for cricket.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha I'm not saying what he said was okay, but that standard most certainly cannot be used for cricket.
Well yes, it cannot. There is sledging that is allowed in cricket. But this was not sledging to unsettle the opponent, this was a religious barb that goes into the zone of things that should not be allowed on a cricket field.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well yes, it cannot. There is sledging that is allowed in cricket. But this was not sledging to unsettle the opponent, this was a religious barb that goes into the zone of things that should not be allowed on a cricket field.
That is not the point I am making in my post.

uvelocity

International Coach

perhaps the pak coach should be getting up shehzad for attempting to aid the opposition