• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Religious comments by Ahmed Shehzad to Dilshan

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Grew up in a pretty fundamentalist Christian environment. Find the idea of "hell" pretty abhorrent. Messed with me for a long time.

viriya

International Captain
video: Ahmed Shahzad - Dilshan incident. Cricket - Pakistan/ SriLanka - Video Dailymotion
aftermath: Pakistan Cricket News: Sri Lanka play down Shehzad-Dilshan incident | ESPN Cricinfo

If Shezad had stopped at his first comment it would be fine.. but to say "then be ready for the fire" is just a little ****ed up. Just imagine what would happen if there was a SL-Pak series in Pakistan and Sanga tried to convert one of the Pakistanis to Buddhism.. I guess that's why you don't have anyone touring Pak..

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, the "be ready for the fire" line was too creepy to ignore. Should be punished regardless of whether Dilshan complained.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If you tried living with my second wife you'd soon realise that hell is very real, and has an RG2 postcode
Grew up in a pretty fundamentalist Christian environment. Find the idea of "hell" pretty abhorrent. Messed with me for a long time.
Hell definitely exists in this world. For example if you disobey the ten commandments with some of the more significant ones such as "don't murder" etc you will find yourself in a real life hell.
As to whether it exists in the afterlife is a matter of beliefs.
Sorry you were tortured with the concept of hell growing up Monk. If I had someone shoving it down my throat I would reject it as well.

watson

Banned
That's quite sad. No kid should be burdened with such heavy duty nonsense.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That's quite sad. No kid should be burdened with such heavy duty nonsense.
It was all good on the whole. Plenty of good aspects. But it does take a while to get over brainwashed ideologies that are ingrained, particularly if they're associated with a deep personal guilt and tied to the fear of hell. Plenty to learn/like in religions still, but all with a grain o' salt for me now.

watson

Banned
It was all good on the whole. Plenty of good aspects. But it does take a while to get over brainwashed ideologies that are ingrained, particularly if they're associated with a deep personal guilt and tied to the fear of hell. Plenty to learn/like in religions still, but all with a grain o' salt for me now.
For your journey I recommend '50 Voices of Disbelief'. It's edited by Russell Blackford and Udo Schuklenk who do an excellent job of selecting the essays.

Anything by AC Grayling is good , but 'The Meaning of Things' is especially good if you need some common sense philosophy to help you through the grind of life or recover from that guilt.

watson

Banned
Thanks, although I'd have to admit that my matrimonial travails over the years have been, and indeed continue to be, largely self-inflicted
Yes I can second guess what 'self-inflicted' means. But that aside, 'self-inflicted' is such an interesting way of putting things because it hints so much of an 'unfulfilled need' that you know very little about. Perhaps it's time that you discover what it is?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I can second guess what 'self-inflicted' means. But that aside, 'self-inflicted' is such an interesting way of putting things because it hints so much of an 'unfulfilled need' that you know very little about. Perhaps it's time that you discover what it is?
Many more brilliant male minds than mine have failed to work out what makes women tick so I don't think I'll be embarking on any voyages of discovery - am thinking about creating an alter ego called Julius though

watson

Banned
Many more brilliant male minds than mine have failed to work out what makes women tick so I don't think I'll be embarking on any voyages of discovery - am thinking about creating an alter ego called Julius though
Sorry for the ambiguity. I was referring to you as we all know that women are impossible to work out.

Women's Instruction Manual, Volume 1

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
video: Ahmed Shahzad - Dilshan incident. Cricket - Pakistan/ SriLanka - Video Dailymotion
aftermath: Pakistan Cricket News: Sri Lanka play down Shehzad-Dilshan incident | ESPN Cricinfo

If Shezad had stopped at his first comment it would be fine.. but to say "then be ready for the fire" is just a little ****ed up. Just imagine what would happen if there was a SL-Pak series in Pakistan and Sanga tried to convert one of the Pakistanis to Buddhism.. I guess that's why you don't have anyone touring Pak..
No

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah he's right. The reason no-one is touring Pakistan has absolutely nothing to do with the security threat and everything to do with the fact that they wouldn't be able to get away with converting players to Buddhism on the field. It's a well-known fact.

watson

Banned
If a Buddhist cricketer tried to convert a Muslim player while in Pakistan then there could be a 'security threat' against the Buddhist cricketer if the media blew the incident out of proportion. After all, there appears to be no shortage of excitable zealots willing to go crazy at the thought of apostasy, or an infidel stomping on their sacred turf.

Viriya probably isn't right, but he could be.

smash84

The Tiger King
Nah he's right. The reason no-one is touring Pakistan has absolutely nothing to do with the security threat and everything to do with the fact that they wouldn't be able to get away with converting players to Buddhism on the field. It's a well-known fact.
:laugh:

WAC