• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scrap the IPL...............

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes a pretty valid point about the corruption aspect.
Yeah, but it can't be an IPL thing only. It must happen in all the leagues which exist in poor(er) countries - Pakistan, Bangladesh, SL, Windies (?), Zimbabwe (do they have one?).

Yes, the nature of the T20 leagues lend themselves to corruption more easily than the other formats played internationally, but that can't be a reason to ban something. It's only a reason to increase policing on it.

IPL is doing a service in India by giving a decent standard of living to whichever domestic players get a chance to play in the teams (admittedly the spots are few).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No have it. Let them realize what that fat bastard call arjuna said was correct.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Who's gained the most from the IPL? We're not talking of boards or franchises, but countries' cricketing scenes. I feel it is Australia. The IPL virtually created David Warner's international career and he's now a leading Test opener. The flagging career of Shane Watson got new life in the IPL and so did Dirk Nannes', albeit to a limited extent in T20Is. Then Dave Hussey as a limited overs player, and also Cameron White. Plenty of fringe Aussie players have come up quickly this way.

It's also helped South Africa find and rediscover a few of their players. Some Lankans and West Indians have had a great time too, although none have used the IPL as a supply line or priming booth quite like Australia and South Africa. If the IPL ceased to exist, we'd know who'd get hit the most.

As an India supporter, I'm on the fence. IPL has brought home higher standards of cricket missing in the Indian domestic scene, but the way franchises operate, most young Indian players and domestic performers miss out on a lot, so not much of a positive here.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Who's gained the most from the IPL? We're not talking of boards or franchises, but countries' cricketing scenes. I feel it is Australia. The IPL virtually created David Warner's international career and he's now a leading Test opener. The flagging career of Shane Watson got new life in the IPL and so did Dirk Nannes', albeit to a limited extent in T20Is. Then Dave Hussey as a limited overs player, and also Cameron White. Plenty of fringe Aussie players have come up quickly this way.

It's also helped South Africa find and rediscover a few of their players. Some Lankans and West Indians have had a great time too, although none have used the IPL as a supply line or priming booth quite like Australia and South Africa. If the IPL ceased to exist, we'd know who'd get hit the most.

As an India supporter, I'm on the fence. IPL has brought home higher standards of cricket missing in the Indian domestic scene, but the way franchises operate, most young Indian players and domestic performers miss out on a lot, so not much of a positive here.
good post.

It seems like the only Indian players who any sort of a decent position in the batting order are the Star Indian players or players on the fringe of national selection. Your average joe opening batsman is probably batting number 6 or 7 in the IPL.

I wouldn't hate the IPL if the following didn't ocurr
1) The IPL getting a million teams in the champions league
2) Domestic teams getting denied their IPL players in the champions league
3) International test players choosing the IPL over playing in tests
4) And most importantly each IPL match is basically as good as an international fixture between two teams ranked about 5-7 in the world. Each IPL team has four simply awesome international players and 1-2 awesome Indian players. That makes about 6 incredible players on a team and then 5 fillins. A mid ranked International team basically has about 3-4 star players and then 5-6 decent players and 1-2 rank players. My view is that by having a product of such high quality you are diminishing the edge International cricket has and pushing us towards a franchise model of cricket that someone on here was advocating at one point..
5) So there is so flipping much of it and then turn around and the new season is starting again. You are going to make people sick of cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And most importantly each IPL match is basically as good as an international fixture between two teams ranked about 5-7 in the world. Each IPL team has four simply awesome international players and 1-2 awesome Indian players. That makes about 6 incredible players on a team and then 5 fillins. A mid ranked International team basically has about 3-4 star players and then 5-6 decent players and 1-2 rank players. My view is that by having a product of such high quality you are diminishing the edge International cricket has and pushing us towards a franchise model of cricket that someone on here was advocating at one point..
Couldn't disagree more about this. It's about the only cricket on FTA in the UK so I've watched a fair bit of it in spite of the standard being pretty ****ing dreadful the majority of the time.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't hate the IPL if the following didn't ocurr
1) The IPL getting a million teams in the champions league
2) Domestic teams getting denied their IPL players in the champions league
3) International test players choosing the IPL over playing in tests
4) And most importantly each IPL match is basically as good as an international fixture between two teams ranked about 5-7 in the world. Each IPL team has four simply awesome international players and 1-2 awesome Indian players. That makes about 6 incredible players on a team and then 5 fillins. A mid ranked International team basically has about 3-4 star players and then 5-6 decent players and 1-2 rank players. My view is that by having a product of such high quality you are diminishing the edge International cricket has and pushing us towards a franchise model of cricket that someone on here was advocating at one point..
5) So there is so flipping much of it and then turn around and the new season is starting again. You are going to make people sick of cricket.
Of these, I only think #3 is a problem, and that happens maybe for 1-2 players a year.

The IPL's corruption problems come, to an extent, from betting being illegal in India. And for all the talk of test arena erosion, I think it might even act as a good control mechanism to filter out those who do not care to work hard enough to become a good test player. But I realize things might not be as simple as that.

In some cases, IPL helps players get into test team, as Arjun pointed out.

On the whole, I think it's okay. Every country deserves to have a domestic league version of their favorite sport. And whether we like it or not, in India, that title belongs to LO cricket. Where the problem has come up is that our current captain is one of those people :laugh: :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Couldn't disagree more about this. It's about the only cricket on FTA in the UK so I've watched a fair bit of it in spite of the standard being pretty ****ing dreadful the majority of the time.
Yeah, there's flashes of quality amongst something that really only resembles County T20.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Couldn't give a **** if they're corrupt because I couldn't give a **** about the results.

uvelocity

International Coach

thats the worst post ive ever seen written about australian cricket, and ive read gimp posts on the subject