• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

N.D v Canterbury

Mingster

State Regular
Man have I said this many times:

TWINS MEAN NOTHING. I bet you, if James and Hamish weren't identical, you two (Anzac and Tim) won't be voting for James to be selected for Hamish' success. It's bloody bollocks if the selectors do that.

Bruce Martin has bowled extremely well under the shadow of Vettori, and has a excellent RPO of under 3.6 if I remember correctly. It will be interesting to see if the selectors pick two left-arm spinners to England or opt for another style in Wiseman.

So far as Nevin goes I totally agree, it's just that he's really the only choice for 'keeper in Limited Overs for the Nth.........
Not really. You could always give Vincent the gloves to allow for another up and comer to show their worth.

Oh great Harry and his form has been so much better than Goldies hasnt it.
Harry has easily taken more wickets than Goldie (injury, so there's goes your argument that Goldie has more bowling form), and has a higher batting average for this season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey Mingster mate, i never said I agreed with picking James just because Hamish had worked. It's just the way I see the selectors doing it.

Mingster

State Regular
southern man said:
What about the fact he has scored 100 run less.
What about the fact that Harris has a better average because he's played one least innings and that he has one not out of 70*.

OK Tim, sorry mate. I'm just real ****ed off, because my cousins are indentical twins and act nothing like each other at all...

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Matthew Sinclair plays for Picton...does he qualify for North or South Island?
EDIT: As CD spreads both Islands

anzac

International Debutant
southern man said:
Walmsley is North.
yes but born in your patch in SI..........

now I'm getting really confused - is it a state of origin type process or birth first then state?????????

and how does Sinclair playing for Picton qualify him for SI if he was born in OZ & plays for CD???????

:ticking:

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
Man have I said this many times:

TWINS MEAN NOTHING. I bet you, if James and Hamish weren't identical, you two (Anzac and Tim) won't be voting for James to be selected for Hamish' success. It's bloody bollocks if the selectors do that.

Bruce Martin has bowled extremely well under the shadow of Vettori, and has a excellent RPO of under 3.6 if I remember correctly. It will be interesting to see if the selectors pick two left-arm spinners to England or opt for another style in Wiseman.

Not really. You could always give Vincent the gloves to allow for another up and comer to show their worth.

Harry has easily taken more wickets than Goldie (injury, so there's goes your argument that Goldie has more bowling form), and has a higher batting average for this season.

here we go again.........

I'd acknowledged that being twins (even identical) means nothing & I'm well aware they can be chalk & cheese - however I did qualify that by saying from what I had heard that they were pretty similar in styles, temperament & abilities........hence the logic that if one can belie his domestic stats & be a success at the higher level, then perhaps the 2nd could as well............this would be providing that they have the same basic attributes in their batting..........

I think Ian Smith said that the only way he can tell them apart in the field is by the names on the jerseys, and even then he wasn't so sure ........

if you can tell me you have watched them play & studied their techniques and they are nothing like each other then fine, but don't dismiss the idea just because members of your family behave differently...........I'd hope that the selectors have more cdf than that even if I do give them loads of stick & often.....

furthermore if you look at my Nth squad I don't have him in there - someone else picked him!!!!!

I think I brought up the same point re Martin V Wiseman..........

giving Vincent the gloves would be an absolute waste of time IMO - either pick him as a batsman & let him try to rebuild his career or don't, but stop jerking the poor bugger around by trying to make him a jack of all trades because he's become the master of none...........

so far as up & comers are concerned if they rest the established ODI players there should be plenty of room for those selections.....

I understand that Harry is Chris Harris - but who the hell is Goldie??????

Wilson!!!

**** a brick Mingster it was you who picked James Marshall in your Nth selection - and I said I didn't think he'd done anything to warrant it this season!!!!!!!

so enough already - get off your high horse re this twins business!!!!

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
Yup, I knew I missed someone....

Brad Scott is a promising left-arm swingbowler from Otago who's had a brilliant season in SC and SS to date.

so what's the go with Scott - I'd asked earlier but no one gave me any info on him????

what's he like in comparison to Franklin so far as being a leftie is concerned?

what's he like compared to Mills so far as swing is concerned?

what pace does he bowl at?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
yes but born in your patch in SI..........

now I'm getting really confused - is it a state of origin type process or birth first then state?????????

and how does Sinclair playing for Picton qualify him for SI if he was born in OZ & plays for CD???????

:ticking:
Here is his debut
http://www-nz.cricket.org/link_to_d...LOCAL/SHLTR/CANT_AUCK_SHLTR_07-10DEC1994.html

Sinclair has plays for CD but from my knowledge plays his club cricket in Malbrough and with the CD team it is where you play club cricket.

Scott Styris was also born is Australia.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
When Sinclair first played for C.D, I think he was living in New Plymouth.

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
I agree that the squads look pretty entertaining, but I thought they were going to use this match as a trial for ODI spots.......

in which case IMO it is a waste of time to be playing the established ODI players unless they are struggling for form or coming back thru injury.........
Sorry Anzac, I can't agree with this at all. The whole idea of a Nth v. Sth match should be about creating a step up; a genuine contest with better players, a great pitch and more public glare.

A guy like Papps' only difficulty against guys like Canning, Schwass and co. at the moment is pretty much staying awake! The problem for him is these bowlers simply aren't very relevant to international level, no matter how many runs he scores. There were good signs from him against Butler on Wednesday I thought, but you could argue when he's half-tracking it on slow decks he's not very relevant either.

What we want is guys facing an attack with fewer weak links than they're used to. Papps looked increasingly scratchy after some tighter bowling from ND, before going for a heave and getting himself out. Against an attack of Tuffey, Mills, Oram, Vettori etc., we may see flaws that his excellent results don't suggest.

The same goes for fringe bowlers against Fleming, etc. You can also guarantee guys like McMillan, Styris and Cairns will bring a macho approach to the crease, sending a few flutters through the spinners and mediums that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Last edited:

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
When Sinclair first played for C.D, I think he was living in New Plymouth.
Just to clear up the qualification issue, this old news item that google found suggests Tim is right.

"The State of Origin will feature the best players from the State Shield competition, with selection determined by the Major Association for which a player first played either first-class or senior representative one-day cricket. In the case of players who first played for Central Districts, selection will be determined by the location of the district from which the player was first selected to play"

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/JAN/122763_NZC_16JAN2003.html

Here's the teams I'd like to see. All are players I've yet to put a line through regarding future NZ sides.

North

Ryder
How
H. Marshall
Taylor
Styris
Vincent +
Oram (c)
M. Walker
Mills
B. Martin (we know what Vettori can do)
Tuffey
Butler

South

Papps
Cumming (thinking about it, Flem needn't play. Sorry Anzac!)
Fulton
McMillan (c)
Astle
Cairns
Wilson
McCullum +
Wiseman
Scott
Martin

Mingster

State Regular
Wouldn't a Possible's vs Probables be a better test for the up and comers?

So if the NZ squad is:

1 Fleming
2 Astle
3 H Marshall
4 Styris
5 McMillan
6 Cairns
7 Oram
8 McCullum +
9 Vettori
10 Mills
11 Tuffey
12 Butler
13 Cumming

And say the 'form' team is:

1 Papps
2 Ryder
3 Fulton
4 Taylor
5 Vincent +
6 Harris
7 Wilson
8 M Walker
9 Scott
10 B Martin
11 Walmsley/ C Martin

Mingster

State Regular
anzac said:
here we go again.........
Yup, thats for me too. :D

I'd acknowledged that being twins (even identical) means nothing & I'm well aware they can be chalk & cheese - however I did qualify that by saying from what I had heard that they were pretty similar in styles, temperament & abilities........hence the logic that if one can belie his domestic stats & be a success at the higher level, then perhaps the 2nd could as well............this would be providing that they have the same basic attributes in their batting..........
Nope, their techniques are different. For one, is an opener and the other is not.

I think Ian Smith said that the only way he can tell them apart in the field is by the names on the jerseys, and even then he wasn't so sure ........
He was joking. There is clearly a difference in their facial features. Their fielding skillsare different. Hamish is the better in ring fielder.

if you can tell me you have watched them play & studied their techniques and they are nothing like each other then fine, but don't dismiss the idea just because members of your family behave differently...........I'd hope that the selectors have more cdf than that even if I do give them loads of stick & often.....
No. Not just my family. It's proven that twins don't all have the same characteristics. Even if their technique is the same, it doesnt' mean they have the same temperant etc.

furthermore if you look at my Nth squad I don't have him in there - someone else picked him!!!!!

I think I brought up the same point re Martin V Wiseman..........
Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned you then.

giving Vincent the gloves would be an absolute waste of time IMO - either pick him as a batsman & let him try to rebuild his career or don't, but stop jerking the poor bugger around by trying to make him a jack of all trades because he's become the master of none...........
Eh...why not? Who else would you hand the gloves to? Nevin? Hell no.

Giving Vincent the gloves allows for another player in the team, like a Taylor or Scott. It's not a bad idea.

Him being a keeper won't make him a jack of all trades. He's a part time keeper and kept for Auckland before he got injured.

so far as up & comers are concerned if they rest the established ODI players there should be plenty of room for those selections.....
The whole point of this OD trail is to put the young players up against the best in NZ.

I understand that Harry is Chris Harris - but who the hell is Goldie??????

Wilson!!!
Far out, he's the Golden One.

**** a brick Mingster it was you who picked James Marshall in your Nth selection - and I said I didn't think he'd done anything to warrant it this season!!!!!!!

so enough already - get off your high horse re this twins business!!!!
No. Marshall has played some good innings this season. I never said if he scored runs he wouldn't be included. I was saying if James wasn't scoringany runs and still picked for the NZ team based on Hamish. That would be unfair.

Last edited:

Kent

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
Wouldn't a Possible's vs Probables be a better test for the up and comers?

Yes, I like it Mingster. The only problems would be if

a) The Black Caps felt they had too much to lose and nothing to gain.
b) the 'possibles' side got smashed and felt dispirited.

Mingster

State Regular
The Black Caps would have lots to gain.

There are pressue for spots for that 4th seamer (Cairns), opening bowler (Mills), and batting opener (Cumming).

This match would tell us that they are the best in NZ.