• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Fined for Ball Tampering

Slow Love™

International Captain
Rahul Dravid's Cough Lolly Guide
By el spanko
Wednesday, 21 January 2004

Earlier on in my career, i would chew sandpaper, boot polish and tiger balm on the field, as all are quite usefull in ball enhancing. The taste and texture affected my fielding however, and quite by chance I started on cough lollies. For the young player looking for techniques to enhance the ball's performance I have prepared the following guide to cough lollies.

Soothers have a mild affect, helping spinners searching for drift.

Butter Menthols, when applied evenly to one side of the ball, produce late reverse swing .

Vics Vapour Rub causes more movement off the seam.

Sudafed should only be used sparingly, as it causes the ball to spin square, and sometimes backwards, which may cause suspicion.

Other lollies and lozenges may be considered, however chewing gum should be avoided as it causes the ball to stick to the pitch.

http://www.thebladder.com.au/content/contribution/default.asp?ContributionType=1&fullreport=2701

:lol:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Ponting's remarks were to the press, not to the opposition. On a controversial issue like this, I think that Ponting should have left it to the authorities of the game to make a public comment. And no, I haven't seen Waugh make an insinuation of this nature towards another team (or individual).

In any case, maybe I missed something. Do you have relevant, similar examples of Waugh exercising such poor discretion?
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1118168,00.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/SEP/246736_CI_03SEP2003.html

Waugh is known for his snide remarks. If Ponting did it once, Waugh did it several times. How do you think Waugh sledged? Directly to the players and his 'mental disintegration' through comments to the media as well. It is no secret.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1118168,00.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/SEP/246736_CI_03SEP2003.html

Waugh is known for his snide remarks. If Ponting did it once, Waugh did it several times. How do you think Waugh sledged? Directly to the players and his 'mental disintegration' through comments to the media as well. It is no secret.
I was pretty sure you wouldn't have examples, and unsurprisingly, you don't. This is not about sledging and/or competitive cricket. For heaven's sake, your second article is only about Ganguly commenting that when Waugh said to him "you just dropped the test, mate," in Kolkata, it galvanized the Indian team, and the comment "backfired" on Waugh when he was out soon after.

You honestly can't see the difference between a comment like that and a comment like Ponting made? You can't be serious. Ponting is insinuating an institutional tendency towards cheating of the Indian side:

"It's a different one, a strange one. I don't know what (applying a lolly to a ball) does . . . they might not have known what it does either; they might have been just trying that... I don't think you'll see us doing anything like that."

What Steve Waugh did to intimidate his opponents doesn't even approach this area. Allegations of cheating, particularly when you're making a general allegation of a team like he did, should be taken VERY seriously, and no, I don't think Waugh would have gone there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
I was pretty sure you wouldn't have examples, and unsurprisingly, you don't. This is not about sledging and/or competitive cricket. For heaven's sake, your second article is only about Ganguly commenting that when Waugh said to him "you just dropped the test, mate," in Kolkata, it galvanized the Indian team, and the comment "backfired" on Waugh when he was out soon after.

You honestly can't see the difference between a comment like that and a comment like Ponting made? You can't be serious. Ponting is insinuating an institutional tendency towards cheating of the Indian side:

"It's a different one, a strange one. I don't know what (applying a lolly to a ball) does . . . they might not have known what it does either; they might have been just trying that... I don't think you'll see us doing anything like that."

What Steve Waugh did to intimidate his opponents doesn't even approach this area. Allegations of cheating, particularly when you're making a general allegation of a team like he did, should be taken VERY seriously, and no, I don't think Waugh would have gone there.
And I was pretty sure I would have examples. I checked cricinfo where they list most articles from 1999 onwards in the past articles section. Not much prior to that. Else I am pretty sure I could show stuff where Waugh has made humiliated statements of his opposition. Other places dont have as much archived articles. The way Waugh targetted his opponents and opponent captains is no hidden fact. It went personal and was dregoatory to the team as well and not just the player as happens during sledging. What Ponting did is no different from some thing Waugh would do.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
And I was pretty sure I would have examples. I checked cricinfo where they list most articles from 1999 onwards in the past articles section. Not much prior to that. Else I am pretty sure I could show stuff where Waugh has made humiliated statements of his opposition. Other places dont have as much archived articles. The way Waugh targetted his opponents and opponent captains is no hidden fact. It went personal and was dregoatory to the team as well and not just the player as happens during sledging. What Ponting did is no different from some thing Waugh would do.
Your examples weren't relevant. If the best you can bring up is Waugh intimidating the opposition, no, I don't think you have a point.

Just to be clear on this: Insinuating that a team are cheats is VERY, VERY different from insinuating that your bowlers are on top of theirs, or that they're under pressure, or that they're chokers, or that Warne will run through them like a knife through butter.

And no, you don't have any examples, because none of what you cited is remotely similar to what Ponting did. If you equate "you just dropped the test, mate" to "maybe they thought cheating was a good idea, but you won't see our boys do that kind of thing", I don't know what to say. You've completely missed the point.

The weirdest aspect of your argument is that you seem to think that "you just dropped the test, mate" is actually offensive in some way.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well I know what you mean when you differentiate accusing of cheating from sledging and your trying to explain in detail how my point about Waugh wouldnt do any thing like that wasnt required coz I said in the last comment that I didnt find the instances simply coz cricinfo hasnt kept archives in detail pre 1999.

Your point is Waugh wouldnt do such a thing. Well I have nothing to prove right now that he would or hasnt in the past. But he has made several remarks over the years, which even if is not telling that the opponents cheat, is close to saying 'you suck mate'.

I know you will never agree with me on Waugh on any account. I know I am biost against the man and dont have any intention to fight over him with Aussie fans who will respect him no ends, not to mention people of other countries sharing the same respect.

padmapriya_dvl

Cricket Spectator
dravid ball tampering

halsey said:
Codswallop, if you ask me.
LISTEN BALL TAMPERING IS ONE OF THOSE CHEAP TRICKS TRIED BY TEAMS WHICH HAVE NO CONFIDENCE ON THEMSELVES.. AND I DIN'T HTINK INDIA COMES UNDER THAT CATEGORY.. NOT THE 2ND BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD.. IF DRAVID SAYS HE HASN'T DONE IT WITH THE INTENTION THEN I BELIEVE HIM AND SO DO ALL THE SENSIBLE PEOPLE OF THE CRICKETING WORLD.. AND WHY MAKE SUCH A BIG ISSUE OUT OF IT ANYWAYS WHEN PEOPLE DON'T CARE A DAMN ABOUT THE AUSTRALIANS SLEDGING.. BELIEVE ME DRAVID HASN'T TAMPERED THE BALL AND WHAT WAS THE NECESSITY ANYWAYS...
SO STOP BLABBERING GUYS... IAM NOT A BLIND FAN BUT A FAN WHO THINKS REALISTICALLY....

Deja moo

International Captain
Thelwell that is a fair point but the reason we are saying it was deliberate was due to the fact he was rubbing the cough sweet all over the shiny side of the ball for a good 20 secs, now if you can't feel that under your fingers then he has problems with his finger tips
Sarcasm wont help you if you dont get the facts right...

the rubbing did not last for a good 20 seconds....the slow mo replay made it seem so...

and any oaf with good vision would have seen that his fingers were rubbing saliva over the ball....the green thing at no point of time came to lie under his fingertips, except at the end when he notices it and removes it.....

And as for Ponting, the lesser said the better,...a good player, but an hypocritical oaf..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: dravid ball tampering

padmapriya_dvl said:
BELIEVE ME DRAVID HASN'T TAMPERED THE BALL AND WHAT WAS THE NECESSITY ANYWAYS...
Which is why the cameras showed him tampering with it, the ball was changed and he was fined.