• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Fined for Ball Tampering

PY

International Coach
You really have got to wonder why Ricky Ponting stuck his oar in don't you? Completely unrequired.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
PY said:
You really have got to wonder why Ricky Ponting stuck his oar in don't you? Completely unrequired.
Ponting is just trying to get something over Ganguly after a highly unsatisfactory summer for the Aussies.

It amuses me that he said "you won't see any of us doing anything like that".
Now, my dear Ricky, weren't u captain when Lehmann picked the seam last year ? Lucky for you the ICC is on Australia's side.

masterblaster

International Captain
Wright defends Dravid in ball-tampering case

Wisden Cricinfo staff

January 21, 2004

John Wright, India's coach, has come to the defence of Rahul Dravid, who was fined 50% of his match fee for tampering with the ball during India's victory against Zimbabwe in the VB Series match at Brisbane on Tuesday. Wright insisted that the transgression happened as a result of a careless error of Dravid's part, and wasn't a deliberate attempt to cheat.

Explaining the incident, Wright said that Dravid had been applying saliva to the ball when fragments of an energy lozenge he had been chewing stuck to his fingers. "It was an innocent mistake. He was applying saliva to the ball and what happened was the saliva was coloured with that sweet and he wiped it off because he knew immediately that it was only supposed to be saliva or perspiration. Rahul knew it straight away and that's why you could see he tried to wipe it clean - it's a silly thing but that's exactly how it happened."

Wright stressed that a stray incident should not take away from Dravid's reputation as one of the most honest players in the game. "He's one of those characters you want playing cricket. He's everything that the game needs. If anything with this day and age everyone knows what Rahul Dravid is all about and what he stands for. It was one of those things that happens, it's not as though he applied anything consciously to the cricket ball."

Dravid did not comment on the incident due to ICC regulations, but Sourav Ganguly stated that Dravid's act was "just an accident".

Meanwhile, Ricky Ponting had his own take on the incident: "I don't think you'll see us doing anything like that," he said pithily.

Craig

World Traveller
Eyes_Only said:
Actually the Match Referee would deal with it after reading the Umps report
Didnt you read my post?

I said if there is a problem with the ball let the umpires deal with it (ie ball).

Slow Love™

International Captain
jamesryfler said:
Ponting is just trying to get something over Ganguly after a highly unsatisfactory summer for the Aussies.

It amuses me that he said "you won't see any of us doing anything like that".
Now, my dear Ricky, weren't u captain when Lehmann picked the seam last year ? Lucky for you the ICC is on Australia's side.
Ponting should have known better, and his targeted insinuation couldn't be any clearer - that the Australians are somehow more fair and less "tainted" than the Indians, in general. I'm a fan of his as a player, but he hasn't got half the discretion or sense of Steve Waugh. Mention of that Lehmann incident reminds me of another incident involving Lehmann, when he racially vilified the Sri Lankans. When commenting on the issue, Ponting couldn't stop talking about the entire squad's sympathy for Lehmann during his "difficult time". You would have thought that Lehmann was the victim of racial slurs, not the perpetrator.

My opinion on this matter is that their should be a mandatory one match ban (with the option for more severe penalties if the offence is more serious). The ICC should spend less time defining confusing "offence categories" and work on some consistency on this issue.

For those talking about a double standard, I don't really believe there is one (at least along racial lines, if that's what's being alleged), although I think that South Africa, Australia and Sri Lanka particularly have often gotten away with murder regarding how they've behaved on the field. Either way, Dravid was inadequately punished in this instance.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
jamesryfler said:
Mcgrath does just as bad against Sarwan (and not the first time either) and what happens -- a ban ? Noooooo.....just a little smack over the wrist.
I agree with your point but with regards to McGrath from what you couold see, he was just making a few innocent comments about sarwan's technique as he was playing and missing alot. Sarwan (if what the stories say are true?) replied with some vicious comments about mcgraths wife who was serious ill at the time. I'd of done the same as mcgrath if that is actually what happened out on the crease.

That could just be media hype, but thats what i heard happened during that incident. Sledging is fine, long as its about the game, but we dont need comments about people's families being brought into it. Its like someone sledging adam hollioake about the death of his brother ben. No need for it in the great game.

I hope all you Australians do now realise that the irony of the dravid situation is that he'll score a load of runs against you in the rest of the series. Maybe even win the tournament for india, he should of been banned.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Thelwell said:
I agree with your point but with regards to McGrath from what you couold see, he was just making a few innocent comments about sarwan's technique as he was playing and missing alot. Sarwan (if what the stories say are true?) replied with some vicious comments about mcgraths wife who was serious ill at the time. I'd of done the same as mcgrath if that is actually what happened out on the crease.
That's not what happened.

McGrath was making crude comments about Sarwan and Lara being butt buddies, and asked him what they did together. Sarwan said something along the lines of "ask your wife", the implication being that she and Sarwan had slept together.

Yes, it sounds terrible knowing that McGrath's wife was indeed seriously ill, and I can understand how it got McGrath frothing at the mouth (which is why he probably got away without punishment). But he misunderstood - it was just a general "f*** you" retort. McGrath acknowledged that he overreacted after the incident. It was like a "yo mama" throwaway line, and wasn't intended to be as personal as it was interpreted.

PY

International Coach
Well, this is all speculation but from what articles I read at the time. It started with McGrath saying stuff about Lara and Sarwan being engaged in off-the-field activities because Lara had defended his colleague in a previous match.

If it wasn't for other circumstances, I found the whole conversation as rather witty. However, it has no place on a cricket field.

Slow Love: an excellent postabout Ponting , agree with all of it. Couldn't believe the Australians standing by their colleague. There's being supportive team-mates but that's just too far.

Last edited:
Slow Love™ said:
When commenting on the issue, Ponting couldn't stop talking about the entire squad's sympathy for Lehmann during his "difficult time". You would have thought that Lehmann was the victim of racial slurs, not the perpetrator.
If you knew Ponting's reasons and his angle on the situation you may think differently. Ponting has written that he does 'not condone what he did, because noone can'. But Lehmann almost packed in the game after what happened and Ponting is adamant that Boof isn't a racist. Now that's not my view at all (I think that if you make comments like that you're a racist full stop), but what Ponting and the rest of the squad were doing is nothing more than looking after a mate who was going through a tough time. Lehmann himself acknowledged afterwards how stupid a thing it was to do.

V Reddy

International Debutant
After having followed his career since 1995 i can't see Dravid doing this purposefully as mentioned by Wright in that article. He deserved a ban but i think Lloyd reduced this by looking at his past reputation. These hiccups happen once in a while:P

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From smh.com.au -

Though Dravid, India coach John Wright and captain Sourav Ganguly claimed the action was accidental - arguing that the lozenge fell from Dravid's mouth - Lloyd felt otherwise.

"It couldn't have been accidental because he's been fined," Lloyd said. "It was shown he was applying a substance to it. I looked at the film and it was conclusive. The rules are there - you can only apply saliva and sweat to the ball.

"[India] can say it's accidental but the point is the footage shows that something has been applied to the ball and the rules state you are not allowed to do it.

"Once the charge is brought you have to show the evidence. Something was being applied to the ball quite obviously and he must have known it. It's quite conclusive on film."

On arrival at Sydney Airport yesterday, Dravid was asked if the incident was accidental. He replied: "It was . . . [but] I can't make a comment."

So lokos like Lloyd felt it was delibirate and yet fined him just 50%!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
what Dravid did was silly but why punish the side for the actions of a particular individual ?
Because his actions benefitted the whole team, not just himself.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eyes_Only said:
As far as what constiutes an "artifical substance", Simon Taufel told us at Umpire's Training last year that anything more than saliva will have the Umps watching for possible tampering
Out of interest Eyes - say he had the sweet in his mouth and applied the saliva - would that be artificial or not?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Ponting should have known better, and his targeted insinuation couldn't be any clearer - that the Australians are somehow more fair and less "tainted" than the Indians, in general. I'm a fan of his as a player, but he hasn't got half the discretion or sense of Steve Waugh.
Waugh would have butted in just like Ponting did! I dont know how Waugh has more 'discretion' the way you put. Waugh has been more than known to make such remarks to the opposition.

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Out of interest Eyes - say he had the sweet in his mouth and applied the saliva - would that be artificial or not?
And also, if a player had loads of suncream on, sweat and this sunblock becomes solvent again and then uses that to rub on the ball? Bit contrived but a possibility.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
PY said:
And also, if a player had loads of suncream on, sweat and this sunblock becomes solvent again and then uses that to rub on the ball? Bit contrived but a possibility.
Agreed but I'm going on what Simon said...and I kinda think he'd know...

And Marc...Yes it would!!