• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Top post OS........kudos for making the effort to elaborate on your point, and as I've already conceded I didn't watch the J'Burg test so I'm more than happy to bow to those that did on the quality of the bowling V's the batting.

But, I would still like someone to answer straight up if the bowling Kohli faced in SA was of a higher standard to that Joe Root faced in Aus. Considering that series makes up over half the away tests Root has played the only point I'm trying to make here is that his away record shouldn't be judged too harshly..........as it stands now.

I'm in no way dismissing Kohlis records in SA or Aus and tbh I do think he'll have the better career out of the two.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top post OS........kudos for making the effort to elaborate on your point, and as I've already conceded I didn't watch the J'Burg test so I'm more than happy to bow to those that did on the quality of the bowling V's the batting.

But, I would still like someone to answer straight up if the bowling Kohli faced in SA was of a higher standard to that Joe Root faced in Aus. Considering that series makes up over half the away tests Root has played the only point I'm trying to make here is that his away record shouldn't be judged too harshly..........as it stands now.

I'm in no way dismissing Kohlis records in SA or Aus and tbh I do think he'll have the better career out of the two.
I think I can say pretty confidently that SA's attack that series wasn't quite as brilliant as Aus in the Ashes. Definitely no one at Mitch's level either. That doesn't really change my point though.

Steyn wasn't at his best partly because Pujara, Vijay and Kohli were leaving his stock ball absolutely perfectly, and Steyn for some reason after a barren spell got frustrated and started bowling bouncers instead of doing what he does best.
Point remains though, that the frustration was borne out of quality defensive batting.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I can say pretty confidently that SA's attack that series wasn't quite as brilliant as Aus in the Ashes. Definitely no one at Mitch's level either.
OK, so was my original point then that seems to have created this debate wrong.......

None of the others have played more than half their away tests against God Johnson and Harris. Johnson in "that" series was way better than anything the others have encountered.

DingDong

State Captain
None of the others have played more than half their away tests against God Johnson and Harris. Johnson in "that" series was way better than anything the others have encountered.
i don't know how u said this if u didnt actually watch the joburg test then. another homer i suppose

shocking post

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
i don't know how u said this if u didnt actually watch the joburg test then. another homer i suppose

shocking post
You've had plenty of opportunity to tell me which was the better bowling..

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
yeah bashing ur head against a wall after being caught fibbing isnt gonna do u much good. i think it's best if u leave this thread

DingDong

State Captain
You've had plenty of opportunity to tell me which was the better bowling..
i never said i had an opinion either way, i only asked u a question when u said root faced better bowling during the test because i really didn't know. obviously at that point i didn't know that u were talking out of ur arse.

DingDong

State Captain
why don't u just leave bro. nobody is gonna take u seriously in this thread after that.

ok i'm done with u as well

DingDong

State Captain
Look this is just going to end up in the classic circular logic conversation. Steyn went for 1/165 yes. That's because Kohli and Pujara left his outswingers magnificently. Seems strange now, I know talking about Kohli leaving well, but it's true. If you'd watched the series, you'd have marveled like the rest of us at how sure Kohli was where his off stump was. There's also Philander who bowled spells at Jo'Burg which were often unplayable. Day 1 at Jo'Burg you just had to watch to know it wasn't an easy pitch to bat on. None of the other Indian batsmen apart from Kohli were able to match how he constructed that innings. Saw of Steyn, Philander and then completely tore into Tahir. Was a brilliant knock.

Mitch was ridiculous in the Ashes and who knows, Kohli would've been made to look like a mug there. But fact remains that Kohli was awesome against some superb bowling in SA and played a couple of superb knocks in our 4-0 in Australia last time as well. It wasn't Mitchell Johnson, but the others bowled brilliantly and Kohli handled them fine. Yet to see Root do that.

I'm not saying Root isn't promising, quite the opposite, I think he'll be very good. But so far, I haven't watched him deliver a top innings against a quality attack, like Kohli, Williamson, Bravo, Rahane have done. So far, most of Root's big runs have come against SL and India at home, which to put it lightly isn't the biggest test, is it? Needs to do it overseas before bring put up there with the others. I think he can get runs overseas against those attacks, but he just needs to you know, do it.

Edit : And please no strawman comments trying to make it sound like I'm not giving Root credit for his home runs.
what a great post by a guy who seems to have an idea of what he's talking about.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Was a great post, by a great poster.

FTR he also said this......

I think I can say pretty confidently that SA's attack that series wasn't quite as brilliant as Aus in the Ashes. Definitely no one at Mitch's level either.
So I really don't know WTF point you are trying to prove fella.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tbf it's not like Root really made any real runs in Aus but that said Steyn and Co didn't make the Indians play enough.

However it's to Kohli's credit that was able to leave as well as he did especially when you consider that he's not known for his defensive abilities.

DingDong

State Captain
Was a great post, by a great poster.

FTR he also said this......

So I really don't know WTF point you are trying to prove fella.
yeah he had actually seen both innings when he made that comment. he definitely was not talking out of his arse

i really think u should take a time out to think about ur behavior today.

Tbf it's not like Root really made any real runs in Aus but that said Steyn and Co didn't make the Indians play enough.

However it's to Kohli's credit that was able to leave as well as he did especially when you consider that he's not known for his defensive abilities.
again a great post by somebody who had seemingly watched both innings. thanks.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
BTW Williamson is the best of the 4.

Probably has drank a pint of bitter.
Plays for Yorkshire.
Bats quite well too.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root will probably score more test runs than the rest but that is mainly because he will play more tests. Does that make him the best, of course not. I rate Williamson as the best of this group and think he will be one of the best players NZ have ever had but he won't play anywhere near as many games as Root so he will score thousands fewer runs.