• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL. What I said was and can't see how there can much debate on it..........in that series Root faced better bowling than any of the others have ever encountered.

I am not saying Mitchell Johnson is better than Dale Steyn but Mitchell Johnson for those 5 tests was ****ing ridiculously great. In fact as good as Steyn is a I doubt he has ever put 5 test together in a row of that class.

Edit:

37 wickets @ 13.97. 7.4 wickets per test. That's what Root had to contend with

Steyn is an all time great but Kohli got him on an occasion he returned 1/165.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LOL. What I said was and can't see how there can much debate on it..........in that series Root faced better bowling than any of the others have ever encountered.

I am not saying Mitchell Johnson is better than Dale Steyn but Mitchell Johnson for those 5 tests was ****ing ridiculously great. In fact as good as Steyn is a I doubt he has ever put 5 test together in a row of that class.

Edit:

I agree with the rest, but not the last part. Kohli and Pujara were critical in him returning 1/165.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Johnson was ****ing great that series, but a lot of it was exaggerated by just how pathetic England were.

Howsie

International Captain

Edit:

If I'm reading this right this may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on CW. Generally when a couple of batsman stand up to a certain bowler and score hundreds he doesn't take many wickets and goes for a few runs. Sure the same thing would've happened had Root scored some runs in Australia.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rahane scored 51* and 97 in the next test in SA where Steyn took 9 as well. What a ****ing guy.

Howsie

International Captain
Well you might want to read it again......and the discussion from the start while your there.
So if Kohli were to score a hundred against Australia at the end of the year, and Johnson returned figures of 1-100 (or two or three for example) it wouldn't count for squat because Kohli got him on a 'bad' day?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So if Kohli were to score a hundred against Australia at the end of the year, and Johnson returned figures of 1-100 (or two or three for example) it wouldn't count for squat because Kohli got him on a 'bad' day?
Look, instead of trying to be smart about it, you tell me........was the Dale Steyn Kohli faced in that series better than the Mitchell Johnson Joe Root faced in the Ashes?

And really, if you want to talk about dumb comments, speculating on Kohli V's Johnson at the end of the year to prove your point is right up there mate........Johnson has had 2 unbelievably good comeback series, who would know if the pieman is going to turn up next time??

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
Look, instead of trying to be smart about it, you tell me........was the Dale Steyn Kohli faced in that series better than the Mitchell Johnson Joe Root faced in the Ashes?

And really, if you want to talk about dumb comments, speculating on Kohli V's Johnson at the end of the year is right up there mate........Johnson has had 2 unbelievably good comeback series, who would know if the pieman is going to turn up next time??

maybe steyn was made to look bad by good batting by the indians? the english definitely made johnson look better than he was.

DingDong

State Captain
the correct answer is kane obviously.

who was that poster who used to say kane would never be able to hit a cover drive or average over 30 or something? tum tum i think? :wacko:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
maybe steyn was made to look bad by good batting by the indians? the english definitely made johnson look better than he was.
:laugh: You're quite welcome to answer the question I asked Howsie.....

And as I've already pointed out.....yes the England bats were ****ing terrible, but MItch then went and did the same to Smith, Amla, Kallis, ABD and Co.

Howsie

International Captain

And really, if you want to talk about dumb comments, speculating on Kohli V's Johnson at the end of the year to prove your point is right up there mate........Johnson has had 2 unbelievably good comeback series, who would know if the pieman is going to turn up next time??
Heh. My point exactly. So unless the Indians play Johnson just as badly as England did it doesn't matter what Kohli does. Chances are he'll never repeat that series, and if Kohli and the rest of Indian line up make any score of note you'll just roll out the 'Wel he bowled better against us obvs, so these runs don't count'

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Look this is just going to end up in the classic circular logic conversation. Steyn went for 1/165 yes. That's because Kohli and Pujara left his outswingers magnificently. Seems strange now, I know talking about Kohli leaving well, but it's true. If you'd watched the series, you'd have marveled like the rest of us at how sure Kohli was where his off stump was. There's also Philander who bowled spells at Jo'Burg which were often unplayable. Day 1 at Jo'Burg you just had to watch to know it wasn't an easy pitch to bat on. None of the other Indian batsmen apart from Kohli were able to match how he constructed that innings. Saw of Steyn, Philander and then completely tore into Tahir. Was a brilliant knock.

Mitch was ridiculous in the Ashes and who knows, Kohli would've been made to look like a mug there. But fact remains that Kohli was awesome against some superb bowling in SA and played a couple of superb knocks in our 4-0 in Australia last time as well. It wasn't Mitchell Johnson, but the others bowled brilliantly and Kohli handled them fine. Yet to see Root do that.

I'm not saying Root isn't promising, quite the opposite, I think he'll be very good. But so far, I haven't watched him deliver a top innings against a quality attack, like Kohli, Williamson, Bravo, Rahane have done. So far, most of Root's big runs have come against SL and India at home, which to put it lightly isn't the biggest test, is it? Needs to do it overseas before bring put up there with the others. I think he can get runs overseas against those attacks, but he just needs to you know, do it.

Edit : And please no strawman comments trying to make it sound like I'm not giving Root credit for his home runs.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying Root isn't promising, quite the opposite, I think he'll be very good. But so far, I haven't watched him deliver a top innings against a quality attack, like Kohli, Williamson, Bravo, Rahane have done. .
and TPC

Last edited: