• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Root has all the hallmarks of the classic english batsmen of recent time averaging mid fourties in a 100+ test career with a captaincy tenure. Can't see his game really dominating but mentally seems able to tick over scores without being great technically.
Williamson mid to high fourties but whilst his game is solid enough I can't see him completely dominating.
Kohli I still think is the guy to back. Has the attacking game and even if he struggles outside asia a little still likely to end with a test average over 50 imo.
Smith would be the person I'm most unsure of. Had a tremendous improvement in his game but is a bit free and loose in his style which doesn't always equate to remorseless runscoring and consistency. Probably likely to average mid fourties

So Kohli then Williamson then Root/Smith.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't get the Root thing. Last year he was a really promising player who was yet to be tested playing against good attacks away from home. This year he plays really well at home against some, er, mixed bowling perfomances and suddenly he's that much better?

Him having more votes than Kohli thanks to a bad tour from the latter seems like nonsense to me. Root has had some mighty **** tours to NZ and Australia and unlike Kohli hasn't made tons away from home.

I rate both players but the last-week criteria showing through here is decidedly dodgy.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Honestly don't think any of these players will go down as a great in test cricket but reckon the first three will definitely have successful and long test careers.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
It doesn't matter even if they average 60 because of the quality of bowling these days which seems to be regressing all the time plus the flatness of pitches. These 4 players Crowe mentioned if they were to have played during the 90s and early 00s then all 4 of them would be averaging 25-39 to be honest. Nothing special about any of those batsman. Maybe Kohli is the closest in terms of specialness but even he cannot match Sachin.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't matter even if they average 60 because of the quality of bowling these days which seems to be regressing all the time plus the flatness of pitches. These 4 players Crowe mentioned if they were to have played during the 90s and early 00s then all 4 of them would be averaging 25-39 to be honest. Nothing special about any of those batsman. Maybe Kohli is the closest in terms of specialness but even he cannot match Sachin.
This is a joke right

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
I voted for Williamson as a vote of hope, not prediction (I don't know enough to predict). However, I would definitely have voted for Bravo had that been an option.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any suggestion that any of them might one day bear comparison with Lara, Sachin, Dravid, Punter or Kallis is ludicrous

Flem274*

123/5
Rahane the dark horse to outdo them all. He only flies under the radar because of who is in the team with him and he's been seriously impressive.

I'd laugh so much if Kohli does a Kambli but it's only a matter of time before he gets his **** together and becomes something akin to KP imo.

What all four players have is courage, work ethic and determination. Smith will do better than most people in here think. He's ugly so it makes people think he's lesser than someone like a Kohli or KW but he's effective.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews has 6 years of test cricket behind him, has played 44 tests and is captain of the side FFS.
The point was more that his best is hopefully yet to come, he has plenty of years ahead and he's about to accept more batting responsibility, given he too is well in contention for sharing that no 1 batting spot as the years go on which was what Crowe seemed to be going on about I thought despite being a little older and more experienced he'd be included.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Similar comments in the actual cricinfo article, and Crowe actually answered in the comments stream that article was restricted to those under 25. Hence no Mathews, Bravi, Pujara.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Similar comments in the actual cricinfo article, and Crowe actually answered in the comments stream that article was restricted to those under 25. Hence no Mathews, Bravi, Pujara.
Isn't Kohli older than Bravo?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, yes he is. Kohli and Root were requisite inclusions (for clickbait purposes), much more than Bravo was.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not voting. I'm both a Big Daddy Kane and TPC fanboi so you're not getting me voting against one of them.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why does Joe Root have votes? He is a good player but better than the others in the list?

He has more technical issues than Kane and Virat.

As for TPC - I wouldn't mention the word technique and him in the same sentence :ph34r: