• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Subhash Gupte

indiaholic

International Captain
Sobers in this article and Prasanna here, seem to rate Gupte above Warne. Is this just a case of, "my era was better than yours" or is there something to it? How does Cricketweb rate Gupte and are there any articles that would help explain where he is placed amongst the greats?

indiaholic

International Captain
That is pretty high. I doubt there is any old footage of him. Are there any particular articles that helped shaped your opinion?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
From memory, SJS rates Gupte quite highly (perhaps fourth after Grimmett, O'Reilly, Warne - in that order). And Swaranjit has seen him play live.

Gupte possesed a very good legspinner and a very good googly - not many possess that combination. Sobers too mentions that (Warne's googly was below par and inconsistent). Although Warne had a fantastic flipper in his repertoire.

The lack of a good bowling partner hurt Gupte (except Mankad, for some time).

indiaholic

International Captain
From memory, SJS rates Gupte quite highly (perhaps fourth after Grimmett, O'Reilly, Warne - in that order). And Swaranjit has seen him play live.

Gupte possesed a very good legspinner and a very good googly - not many possess that combination. Sobers too mentions that (Warne's googly was below par and inconsistent). Although Warne had a fantastic flipper in his repertoire.

The lack of a good bowling partner hurt Gupte (except Mankad, for some time).
Also, was the fielding, especially the close catching as bad as Prasanna makes it out to be?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, was the fielding, especially the close catching as bad as Prasanna makes it out to be?
I can't remember who but I do recall one of big names from the 50s writing/saying that if Venkat and Ekky Solkar had been born 20 years earlier Gupte would have taken a lot more wickets and paid around 20 runs each for them