• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting position roles

hourn

U19 Cricketer
one day cricket has changed a lot about the way batsmen play, even in test cricket. it's got them in a much more aggressive frame of mind.

anzac

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What about Haynes and Greenidge, Hayden and Langer, Gibbs and Smith?
I'd say Langer starts his innings more as a 'moderate' than Hayden at least until the innings is underway.........

in reality it could be decided by whom ever gets off to the flier by getting the first lot of loose deliveries as both are prepared to go after them & punish the bowling.........much like in formula 1 when team mates are on the front row - whom ever get the first corner gets the lead spot so far as team tactics are concerned.......

I'd presume that the others operate much the same way........as I said the main difference is that both openers will look to punish loose deliveries, while one will attack the bowling & the other conserves the innings & rotates during the opening spell with the new ball.......

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand would be the only team in the world I can thing off that can geniunly bat down to number 10, even with Bond in there, they all can hold a bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
New Zealand would be the only team in the world I can thing off that can geniunly bat down to number 10, even with Bond in there, they all can hold a bat.
Define "genuinely bat" - I would argue that full strength Australia can.

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:

maybe - but then they say that every dog has it's day............

yes Vettori has got his ton and the top scores by most of the lineup are good, but when was the last time that the batting order worked as a whole - probably India, but b4 that???????????

look at their averages - only Richardson & McMillan average above 40 in Tests!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a rats' that they can hold a bat - how consistant are they at using it is more to the point IMO...............

:(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Batting position roles

marc71178 said:
"attractive shot making" although I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Some (very strange to my eyes) people believe shotmaking, and scoring at a fastish rate, is attractive.:rolleyes: In itself.:rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Personally I would have Inness instead of Bichel or Lee or anyone else.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO South Africa has more depth in batting than any other team. When you have Shaun Pollock coming in at 8...

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
You need two openers who are attacking because the only way I think to put the oppostion on the back foot is by attacking. If this tatic is sucessfully used, then the opposition bowlers would end up being down on confidence which can only help the batting side.

Attack is the best form of defence.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO South Africa has more depth in batting than any other team. When you have Shaun Pollock coming in at 8...
Agreed, I cant wait till Nicky Boje comes back..

Not only can we lose Peterson/Adams, but our number 9.10 will have ODI hundreds!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ford_GTHO351 said:
You need two openers who are attacking because the only way I think to put the oppostion on the back foot is by attacking. If this tatic is sucessfully used, then the opposition bowlers would end up being down on confidence which can only help the batting side.

Attack is the best form of defence.
Agreed to an extent, but im sure doing that against Bangladesh is easier than against SA or Aus with the ball nipping everywhere.. You dont really want to be playing your shots then lol :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Well they all can hold a cricket non the less.

Maybe not Robbie hart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Agreed to an extent, but im sure doing that against Bangladesh is easier than against SA or Aus with the ball nipping everywhere.. You dont really want to be playing your shots then lol :lol:
If you ask me anyone trying to play their shots when a decent bowler is nipping it around will pay the price.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
If you ask me anyone trying to play their shots when a decent bowler is nipping it around will pay the price.
Well I still think you should have an attacking mind.

Say in Tests, leave the good balls. But the moment a bad ball is bowled, it should be punished & not let through to the keeper.

In ODI's its a little hard considering you have to mantain a decent scoring rate so perhaps batsmen need to take a few more risks, even with good balls bowled.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The crucial thing is, "bad ball" has different meanings to different batsmen. For Geoff Boycott and Sunil Gavaskar, a bad ball was a wide Long-Hop and a leg-stump Half-Volley and not much else. For someone like Slater, there are times when anything not hitting the top of off is a bad ball.
When the ball is moving, whether through the air or off the pitch, the definition of bad ball must change, because if you try to drive on-the-up all the time, the chances are you'll pay for it sooner rather than later.