• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's in a Name?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's in a Name?

Having a famous father is one of the greatest handicaps that a budding international sportsman can have. In this feature Martin tells the story of a man who, briefly, looked like he might throw off the shackles

JBMAC

State Captain
Glenn Trimble faced a fairly similar outlook having to live up to his fathers name. Also Trevor Chappell for his brothers and grandfather.John Benaud for his brother. And Brett Lees brother whose name escapes me at present

cpr

International Coach
Guessing Arnie Sidebottom wasn't a big enough name to suggest Ryan bucked the trend?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Fred, I love to read your articles but I have to question this part
Of those 49 none produced offspring who went on to even begin to match their fathers achievements
a) Did all 49 have children?
b) Did they all have boys?
c) I think it should have included the words "on the cricket field" re: matching fathers achievements.

watson

Banned
I like the sentence as it is. Add a clarification and it loses some of it's emotional impact because the reader is meant to think - "49 greats and no legacy, SHAME!".

The fact that the reader doesn't put 2 and 2 together and conclude that some of the offspring must have been girls is neither here nor there. And certainly not the writers fault who is duty bound to squeeze as much 'poetic licence' into his work at possible.