Cricket Player Manager

Thread: What's in a Name?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

What's in a Name?

What's in a Name?

Having a famous father is one of the greatest handicaps that a budding international sportsman can have. In this feature Martin tells the story of a man who, briefly, looked like he might throw off the shackles

Mahjong Champion!
    Glenn Trimble faced a fairly similar outlook having to live up to his fathers name. Also Trevor Chappell for his brothers and grandfather.John Benaud for his brother. And Brett Lees brother whose name escapes me at present
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

cpr
    Guessing Arnie Sidebottom wasn't a big enough name to suggest Ryan bucked the trend?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Guessing Arnie Sidebottom wasn't a big enough name to suggest Ryan bucked the trend?
    Mohinder Amarnath bucked the trend really
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Fred, I love to read your articles but I have to question this part
    Of those 49 none produced offspring who went on to even begin to match their fathers achievements
    a) Did all 49 have children?
    b) Did they all have boys?
    c) I think it should have included the words "on the cricket field" re: matching fathers achievements.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

c) I think it should have included the words "on the cricket field" re: matching fathers achievements.
    fixed

Cheers mate, I can now sleep soundly tonight.

I like the sentence as it is. Add a clarification and it loses some of it's emotional impact because the reader is meant to think - "49 greats and no legacy, SHAME!".

The fact that the reader doesn't put 2 and 2 together and conclude that some of the offspring must have been girls is neither here nor there. And certainly not the writers fault who is duty bound to squeeze as much 'poetic licence' into his work at possible.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Thread Information