• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Graeme Hick have been better off playing for Zimbabwe?

Dazinho

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have been reading a couple of old Hick threads recently and thought this was a decent question.

Hick's international career has of course been the subject of much head-scratching, both at the time and in the years that have followed.

His ODI record, it should not be forgotten, was pretty good.

It was in the more intense arena of the five-day game that, aside from a period of strong performance from 1993-95, he was, at best, mightily inconsistent.

In that brief period he really was one of the best batsmen in the world and at least came very close to living up to the hype around his entry into the international game in 1991.

I think Hick was unlucky on five counts:-

1. Like Ramps, he got a baptism of fire against the West Indies in 1991. Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson isn't your ideal choice of bowling attack when starting out. Hick bombed spectacularly in that series, to the extent that he was out of the side by the end of it. What he would have given for a Sri Lanka (with only Ratnayake to worry about) or New Zealand (with only Cairns and Morrison to worry about) instead of the fireball he was thrown into.
2. He spent seven years qualifying in the county game against vastly inferior attacks to what he would later face, Make no mistake, the gap between a decent county attack and a decent international one is huge. There just aren't the third-rate bowlers to pick off or the plethora of bad balls to put away. On a strictly personal level, Hick would have benefited from first playing for England in (say) the 1989 Ashes. That Australian attack, while good, was nothing like what he would face in '91 and the margin of that 4-0 victory owed more to shambolic organisation from England, players discussing rebel tours during the lunch break etc. Australia were better than England, but not 4-0 better if England had their house in order. Those seven years stifled his development in many ways.
3. Then fanfare around the test debut of a guy who was shy and a tad on the sensitive side to start with cannot have helped him. You have to protect people from situations that are dangerous and unhealthy for them and it's clear the England mangement did nothing to quell that and let the guy deal with what was already a stressful and nerve-racking experience.
4. England team culture at the time was one where players played for their own places and not the team. Such was the shotgun nature of team selection back then that you were permanently operating with the sword of damocles above your head. I have no doubt that Ramps' own nervy performances, completely contrary to his free-scoring domestic play, owed much to this. I feel sorry for both of them on this score and think both would have benefited from being told "you guys are the future and we back you for ten to fifteen games minimum unless it's an absolute disaster". Nobody can be an automatic pick but you have to invest in people sometimes. With Hick and Ramps, England never did this.
5. Hick was not 'actually' English, which seemed to count against him more than it ever did for the likes of Robin Smith or Andy Caddick. Absolutely no idea why this is and remains a bit of a mystery to this day. The bar always seemed to be that bit higher for Hick than it was for others and he was the one facing the axe the moment something went wrong.

Which feeds nicely into my question.

Did Hick know how close Zimbabwe were to getting test status? If so, then the possibility of being one of their star attractions alongside Houghton and Streak must have crossed his mind? Graeme Hick would have been an automatic pick for Zimbabwe and even his actual test average of 31 would have been more than enough to bank a place in the side, especially as they would almost certainly have used his under-rated bowling on a more frequent basis. As it is, I think he and Houghton would have formed the basis of their batting during the early years and Hick would no doubt have gone on to be a 100+ cap legend in his home country with an average much, much higher than 31.

Of course, Worcestershire would have a difficult call in terms of whether or not to employ Hick as an overseas player in that instance. Even if they hadn't, another county would have bitten his hand off.

So - I think Hick should have played internationally for Zimbabwe and not England. Thoughts appreciated...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What he would have given for a Sri Lanka (with only Ratnayake to worry about) or New Zealand (with only Cairns and Morrison to worry about) instead of the fireball he was thrown into.
You mean against Warnaweera who was making every Englidh batsman to look like a fool, and **** in their pants at the same time? Nah, don't think it was a good idea at all.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You mean against Warnaweera who was making every Englidh batsman to look like a fool, and **** in their pants at the same time? Nah, don't think it was a good idea at all.
Not sure if this is a serious post.

For those that have never heard of him, Warnaweera played a solitary Test against England at the SSC in 1993, and did ok - match figures of 8/188. Hick got a half century.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In answer to the OP, I can't imagine that Hick wouldn't have had a long and successful career had he played for Zimbabwe instead of England. You've nailed it with the 5 factors you've listed. All (or most) of which wouldn't have applied had he played for Zimbabwe. He would have been guaranteed his place in the team for as long as he wanted it, and I've no doubt he would have taken a lot of confidence from that, which I think was really all he needed. The England team ethos at the time sounds as though it was pretty toxic and he was the prime victim of that. The failure to allow a talent like his to flourish was an utter indictment on the team and its management.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's very rare that you come upon a cricketer like Graeme Hick. Who can run, who can field, who can defend, who can hit and who can hit with power. Those five tools, you don't see that very often. A true five tool cricketer.

cpr

International Coach
Not sure if this is a serious post.

For those that have never heard of him, Warnaweera played a solitary Test against England at the SSC in 1993, and did ok - match figures of 8/188. Hick got a half century.

Before being drummed out due to suspect action I believe?

91Jmay

International Coach
It's very rare that you come upon a cricketer like Graeme Hick. Who can run, who can field, who can defend, who can hit and who can hit with power. Those five tools, you don't see that very often. A true five tool cricketer.
You saying England should hire him as GM then?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand made an attempt to get him as well however I think that would have been the worst choice of the 3 options. He would have played lots of games for NZ but I imagine he would have been less homesick in England with more distractions to keep him occupied.

When he played for Northern Districts he was basically too good. I was always fascinated with his back lift and to this day he is the only player I have seen that held his bat face pointing to point instead of angled down. I always suspected this gave him a bit more power.

Steve waugh tells a good story about the Aussie under 19s losing to Zimbo under 19s when they had Hick in their team.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agree with OP, Hick could've succeeded at Zimbabwe. Still remember him spacnking around Donald and co with disdain in 1995. Looked a real intimidating presence. Which is why it came as a bit of a surprise when it became apparent that he wasn't mentally as strong as needed. Better management would've helped out a lot.

I always felt as though Zimbabwe were one quality player away from being a very good team as well. A lineup of Goodwin, Hick, the Flowers, etc would've been excellent for them.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Would be interested to read it - is there a link to it online somewhere?
It is in his autobiography. The gist of it is that they got a touch up from a very strong Zimbos team and Hick was only one of a number of strong players they had in their team. I will have a look for the book at home. TBF it is only a paragraph.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1 paragraph in about a trillion pages of that book. Talk about a needle in a haystack, Hurricane.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just at the opening post, I think its a strech to say Hick would play 100+ tests, even given his county cricket durability. Grant Flower leads the way with 67 Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He played 65 tests for England and 120 ODIs. Not sure I'd give that up to play for Zimbabwe.

Marius

International Debutant
The thing is, Hick was always a shoo-in to play for England. For guys who were decent cricketers but were not sure of playing for their adoptive countries, going to Zim makes sense. Look at guys like Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson, Adam Huckle etc. Goodwin would never have played for Aus, Johnson may have got a couple of ODI games for SA, but unlikely to have played Tests, and Huckle may have got a look in with SA, but also relatively unlikely.

If Hick had only ever been on the fringes of playing for Eng then maybe, but he was always going to play for them.

Also, he probably far wealthier and has made many more contacts than if he had thrown in his lot with Zimbabwe.