• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swinging action leg spinner

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Hi all,

I have been playing with this idea for a while now, I think as we get older we all think deeper about the game. I say this with very little experience in the art of spin bowling.

There are many variations of leg spin bowling, batsmen usually rely on reading the grip or even the angle of the arm to determine the type of delivery whether it is conventional leg spin or a googly etc.

How effective would a "Malingla type" variation be where the bowler has a low arc slinging action?

If a leg spinner bowls 4 or so conventional leg spinners, while then bowling the "slinging ball", how difficult would a batsman read it? Would anyone want to try this?

I understand this would take a lot of practice, but suddenly having a ball at +-115kph full at the stumps could be a nightmare, especially if there could be any reverse swing and it comes barely out of the corner of your eye.

ETA: Could mods kindly change the heading to "Slinging Action Leg Spinner"?

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I get the feeling you wouldn't be able to get the pace unless you started the bowl in a particularly quick action. You could however maybe after completing the delivery stride (about to do the arm actions to deliver the ball) do the arm (and wrist/finger) actions as fast as you could. Whilst this would lose the effect of a batsman having a hard time picking it, it'd surely shock the batter making them panick guessing what the pace will be.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
High harm faster ball is motre difficult to read. especially if you get some in swing with it.

andmark

International Captain
It actually happens that if you bowl a flipper very fast, it generates in swing for a right handed batsman. Useless bit of trivia, but it'd be interesting to see the results if an international player tried it.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know of Shakib once bowling an arm ball against a lefty than landed on its seam and moved away from the batsman like an outswinger

*I think Shakib was bowling over the wicket