• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Start of a new set of questions

bagapath

International Captain
both silly mid off and short mid off exist. silly is usually too close; perhaps because standing that close to the batsman and risking injury is "silly"?

deep backward point is a conventional fielding position. your guess is bang on.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Also Ike, the correct response to that video is "lol Jonny Bairstow". This is important :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. Also go back to the 2 minute mark (or so) for the greatest cricketing moment of all time -- a TPC home ton.

I remember I was at the pub with mates while it was happening, dragged 2 or 3 of my friends who don't follow cricket at all in front of the TV to witness it. They're all now Steve Smith fans.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thanks again for the responses. Alas, they present more stuff that I don't understand the references to than they answer!

Based just on diagrams I've looked at, the position of the fielder who makes the catch I would have called silly mid on. Now I've learned more.

The rest of the responses, I pretty much can't understand. I'm familiar with the Ashes, although the last was before I started watching cricket, so I haven't experienced it live. Apparently, although it's traditionally held biennially, last year it was held twice. I won't get to see one until 2015. :(

As for Bairstow, I have no clue, lol.

I didn't watch the whole video to see what the bad leave by Stokes was, but I'm guessing a 'leave' is a shell?

As for the ton, I went back and watched that, but can't figure out what TPC means. I thought it might be the grounds, but I checked, and the fifth Test was played at Sydney Cricket Grounds, right?

What I can figure out is that Dan is an Aussie. :)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't watch the whole video to see what the bad leave by Stokes was, but I'm guessing a 'leave' is a shell?

As for the ton, I went back and watched that, but can't figure out what TPC means. I thought it might be the grounds, but I checked, and the fifth Test was played at Sydney Cricket Grounds, right?

The 'leave' Riggins is referring to is Stokes opting to not play at the ball, only for it to cannon into the stumps and dismiss him. Basically a batsman's worst possible error of judgement.

TPC is a CW-ism/nickname for Steven Smith -- The People's Champ.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
GIMH to claim the footage is doctored and none of that ever actually occurred. Like 2006/07.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for the diagram, harsh.
You should know about this about the field placements. It is not allowed to have more than 2 fielders placed behind square on the leg side during a match. That means you have to choose 2 positions out of Leg Slip, Short Fine Leg, Short Backward Square Leg, Long Leg, Fine Leg, and Deep Backward Square Leg (Not sure about Long Stop)

both silly mid off and short mid off exist. silly is usually too close; perhaps because standing that close to the batsman and risking injury is "silly"?

deep backward point is a conventional fielding position. your guess is bang on.
Weird than short mid on doesn't show on the cricinfo diagram. I have heard it being referred to during games, of course.

The 'leave' Riggins is referring to is Stokes opting to not play at the ball, only for it to cannon into the stumps and dismiss him. Basically a batsman's worst possible error of judgement.
And Ike, this is the most famous "leave" of all time

:)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Dan is indeed an Aussie.....though we mostly try not to hold that against him.

As for TPC, as Dan the Man has clarified it stands for The Peoples Champ.....aka know as Steve Smith. And you should know that by "The People" we are talking about 1/2 dozen or so CW members who share a rather strange (and to be honest worrying) obsession with him. See this thread http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/testing-forum/60500-pictures-steve-smith.html and make up your own mind :ph34r:

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Yeah. I don't why I had Gatting pegged as leaving the ball. Probably my memory of Andrew Strauss doing so.

harsh.ag

Sorry, Ike. Wrong info. But this is another delivery by Shane Warne, where the batsman leaves the ball. And this is a leave.

andmark

International Captain
Sorry, Ike. Wrong info. But this is another delivery by Shane Warne, where the batsman leaves the ball. And this is a leave.
That one was just astonishing, probably one of the best bowls ever. How Warne ended up on the losing side of that series is incredible. Here's a similar bowl: