Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Start of a new set of questions

Ike
    Thanks again guys for the explanations.

State Vice-Captain
    About Deep Midwicket - I felt it called that due to the path the ball follows once it passes midwicket off the bat.

I figured Cover is called Cover because the fielders on the offside were providing cover - olden day cricket used to be an off-side game till Ranji and a few others started flicking balls onto the legside. Otherwise bowlers just kinda plugged away outside off and apologised if they strayed down leg, no real effort was made by the batsmen to hit them into the legside. So I guess the bowler would just tell the fielders to field in the Covers and that was just the general area outside off, within the circle, that wasn't the slips, point (idk why it's called point tho) or straight down the ground (mid off/long off).

About the Pink Ball - the leather used is the same, but the dye used and the finishing will be different. Here's an interesting article about the red and white balls:
    newyorkcricket

It seems the problem with the pink ball is that the dye and finishing used to make it last and avoid discolouration leads to the ball becoming soft very quickly, and thus leading to attritional slow cricket. Hard to hit it away, hard to get it to swing/seam/spin/bounce. Wasn't enjoyable for the players or spectators
    Ike likes this.

this forum has the most dignified posters on the net. the sincere answers from the boys to Ike's sincere questions prove this once again.

It is quite refreshing to look at such long accepted cricketing jargon from the fresh perspective of an intelligent sport enthusiast getting introduced to the game and analyze the intended meaning of these specific terms.
    Ike, Adders and Monk like this.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Posting the entire spectrum of the field, just 'cause it looks sexy

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ike, Samuel_Vimes and weldone like this.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Ike
    wow.. lots more great information. The responses about fielding positions are great--not because I question anything, but because it helps to understand what the various terms, their true origins probably often lost in the mists of history, seem to mean to life-long cricket fans. Learning what established fans think of when they say or hear 'cover', 'short leg', etc., gives me a sense of this part of the game I couldn't get otherwise since I didn't grow up with cricket.

The article on red and white balls (and different manufactures) was great! The balls are one of four or five major "mysteries" to me (also the pitch, bowling, and batting, lol), and that article taught me a lot.

As for dignified posters compared to other cricket forums, I can't say.. I haven't been to any others. But I do know this forum is great, folks are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable, and the forum compares favorably to many others I know in other areas.

Thanks for the diagram, harsh. I've looked at quite a few of them, online and in books, and have become rather adapt at spotting differences, because none are ever the same, and none seem complete. I've seen a cricinfo diagrams before, but I don't remember this one. It is quite complete, although it does leave out deep point (some diagrams, like Eastaway's, in his book Cricket Explained--and it's a great introductory book!--show both sweeper and deep point; however, the range he gives for deep point indicates it probably should be labeled backward deep point, if that term is ever used). One other thing it leaves out, that I think a 'complete' diagram would include, are arrows labeled for backward and forward, fine and wide (backward), and straight and wide (forward). The diagram also shows a position I've neither seen nor heard (as best I can remember) elsewhere: short mid off. Is there really such a position? I'd think a commentator, etc., would just say silly mid off, since silly mids don't play as close to the striker as silly point or under the helmet--by my understanding anyway. Again, I'd be happy to be corrected. Interesting that no corresponding short mid on position is given.

Once more, thanks to all for taking the time to help a newbie.

both silly mid off and short mid off exist. silly is usually too close; perhaps because standing that close to the batsman and risking injury is "silly"?

deep backward point is a conventional fielding position. your guess is bang on.
    Ike likes this.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Here's a video of a batsman being caught at what you would call 'short mid on'. Silly mid on would be closer to half the pitch length away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A13s2uESNc#t=270
    Ike likes this.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Dan
    Also Ike, the correct response to that video is "lol Jonny Bairstow". This is important
    Ike likes this.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Jeez that's a bad leave by Stokes.
    Ike likes this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Dan
    Yeah. Also go back to the 2 minute mark (or so) for the greatest cricketing moment of all time -- a TPC home ton.

I remember I was at the pub with mates while it was happening, dragged 2 or 3 of my friends who don't follow cricket at all in front of the TV to witness it. They're all now Steve Smith fans.
    Ike likes this.

Ike
    Thanks again for the responses. Alas, they present more stuff that I don't understand the references to than they answer!

Based just on diagrams I've looked at, the position of the fielder who makes the catch I would have called silly mid on. Now I've learned more.

The rest of the responses, I pretty much can't understand. I'm familiar with the Ashes, although the last was before I started watching cricket, so I haven't experienced it live. Apparently, although it's traditionally held biennially, last year it was held twice. I won't get to see one until 2015.

As for Bairstow, I have no clue, lol.

I didn't watch the whole video to see what the bad leave by Stokes was, but I'm guessing a 'leave' is a shell?

As for the ton, I went back and watched that, but can't figure out what TPC means. I thought it might be the grounds, but I checked, and the fifth Test was played at Sydney Cricket Grounds, right?

What I can figure out is that Dan is an Aussie.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post

I didn't watch the whole video to see what the bad leave by Stokes was, but I'm guessing a 'leave' is a shell?

As for the ton, I went back and watched that, but can't figure out what TPC means. I thought it might be the grounds, but I checked, and the fifth Test was played at Sydney Cricket Grounds, right?

What I can figure out is that Dan is an Aussie.

The 'leave' Riggins is referring to is Stokes opting to not play at the ball, only for it to cannon into the stumps and dismiss him. Basically a batsman's worst possible error of judgement.

TPC is a CW-ism/nickname for Steven Smith -- The People's Champ.
    Ike likes this.

No

Stop this you bastards
    Ike likes this.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Dan
    GIMH to claim the footage is doctored and none of that ever actually occurred. Like 2006/07.
    Ike likes this.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Thanks for the diagram, harsh.
    You should know about this about the field placements. It is not allowed to have more than 2 fielders placed behind square on the leg side during a match. That means you have to choose 2 positions out of Leg Slip, Short Fine Leg, Short Backward Square Leg, Long Leg, Fine Leg, and Deep Backward Square Leg (Not sure about Long Stop)

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    both silly mid off and short mid off exist. silly is usually too close; perhaps because standing that close to the batsman and risking injury is "silly"?

deep backward point is a conventional fielding position. your guess is bang on.
    Weird than short mid on doesn't show on the cricinfo diagram. I have heard it being referred to during games, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The 'leave' Riggins is referring to is Stokes opting to not play at the ball, only for it to cannon into the stumps and dismiss him. Basically a batsman's worst possible error of judgement.
    And Ike, this is the most famous "leave" of all time

Ike likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information