• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in the West Indies

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So two players chose t20 over the test series. Don't punish them, simply don't consider them for future tests and if one of those players happens to be a certain spinner, then it's time to invest in other up and coming spinners
Yeah, you can't blame them for going off and playing T20, but you don't want to be building a Test team around a guy who's going to **** off to play random T20 tournaments the second they clash with Test cricket.

Not to mention he just isn't very good at Test cricket :ph34r:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So two players chose t20 over the test series. Don't punish them, simply don't consider them for future tests and if one of those players happens to be a certain spinner, then it's time to invest in other up and coming spinners
Guess that it answers the questions as to how much he wants to play Tests.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Clock ticks quicker for Mominul

After a disappointing tour of the West Indies under the Bangladesh A banner earlier this year, the player has suddenly become dispensable in both ODIs and Tests.

He was dropped after one ODI against India in the last series, he was given a chance in the insignificant third ODI against the West Indies in this series and now there is a threat to his position in the first Test starting September 5.

He was out for 10 in the first innings of the three-day practice match against St Kitts and was not given a chance to bat in the second, which may be an indicator of the team management's plans.

Apart from his dull form, selectors have pointed to his weakness against the short ball as the reason behind overlooking him in the first two ODIs.

While these are logical reasons, one cannot help but wonder about the apparent double standards in the selection process.

The player in contention to take his place at number four is the uncapped Shuvagata Hom, who has been among the runs in the practice match.

However, the question is whether Mominul has been given enough opportunities. A cursory comparison with the rest of the players in the side makes it seem like he has not.

Tamim Iqbal for instance managed to recover from his bad patch right before the West Indies series after numerous chances.

Mahmudullah Riyad, who batted at four in the second innings of the practice match, scored just 62 runs in his last six Test innings.

Is replacing Mominul without giving him at least half the number of chances that some of the other players in the side have had the right way to go? Is he not worth it?

Whatever strategy the Tigers adopt from this Friday, one hopes that it pans out; however, by not giving an unconfident Mominul the chance to regain form in the second innings of the three-day game, they may have already made their first mistake.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Might have to research this pitch, find out if JT is primed to deliver again for me tonight.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladesh won the toss and decided to bowl first in this 1st test match. 2 debutants making their debuts for Bangladesh - Hom and Taijul. Anamul Haque has been left out.

Slifer

International Captain
Im curious, but is there a logical reason y Jason Holder was dropped for Shannon Gabriel?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
To pepper Bangladesh a bit more, I guess. And to build up Gabriel's confidence, so that he becomes more like that guy in the video above.

Slifer

International Captain
Umm no, Gabriel had his chance already. We have two tough tough tours ahead of us not to mention that Holder is also a decrnt batsman......smh

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really Bangladesh.. Bowling first on this pitch, FMD.

Beside the near run out, a wicket just doesn't look like happening unless Gayle wholes out from a lazy shot against one of the ordinary spinners.

Stapel

International Regular
Pitch looks good to bat on, will offer turn later on.....

Beside the near run out, a wicket just doesn't look like happening unless Gayle wholes out from a lazy shot against one of the ordinary spinners.
Maybe Chris will fancy the record number of career Test Sixes. He's just two away from Gilchrist's (no surprise there) 100. I am quite surprised to learn Kallis is at three on that list.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Rahim is one of the most pathetic co****** captains I have ever seen. You win the toss then you bat first so team would not have to field for first 2 days and will get too tired to bat later on. This is probably the worst test bowling attack ever - Al Amin, Rubel, Hom, Mahmudullah and Taijul lol

BeeGee

International Captain

Yep, a big fat WTF to that decision.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Presumably the Bangladeshis looked at the forecast and expected some rain, so figured it would be easier to get a draw batting second.

And the dropped catch count is up to two. I think their fielding is the thing that annoys me most - it's understandable that they might not be great bowlers or batsmen given their limited domestic structure, but there is no excuse not to have a team that fields well. After ten years of test cricket Zimbabwe were probably in the top two or three fielding sides.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I only say the first drop and Gayle definitely didn't hit the ball back as hard as the bowler was expecting, but those caught and bowled chances aren't easy and judging from cricinfo
Shuvagata Hom to Brathwaite, no run, dropped, but maybe it was a tough chance. That went with the arm, and opened him up and took a thick outside edge that ricocheted off Mushfiqur's gloves.
sounds like another one which either sticks or doesn't (but I'm happy for someone to call BS on cricinfo as I didn't see it).