• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Otis Gibson sacked and Micky Athur set to take over as Windies coach?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
And yet despite such a record WI still hold the record for the longest streak without defeat in a test series and have won more trophies than certain other "top sides"...but i digress :D .
Yep, because form from the 1970s and 80s is completely relevant now.

"Despite Australia's top order collectively averaging about three over the past five years, we still hold the record for highest Test batting average (20+ innings)"

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes he's back!

The day came when you thought yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy was turned to ashes in your mouth, and you knew your debt was paid. How did it taste WW?

Howsie

International Captain
He did want to play..but the admin were stupid and banned him for turning up one day late to the "camp". Anyway like they say "everything happens for a reason" and us losing has ushered in a new dawn for our cricket. I hope we meet NZ again soon be it home or away and we'll see if the result is different with Narine in the fold :D .
He certainly didn't make much of a difference the last test he played. 6-91 in the first innings and New Zealand still won by eight wickets inside four days.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And yet despite such a record WI still hold the record for the longest streak without defeat in a test series and have won more trophies than certain other "top sides"...but i digress :D .
Not so much digress as go to something that is totally and utterly irrelevant because you have no leg to stand on regarding the current side and their lack of ability.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He certainly didn't make much of a difference the last test he played. 6-91 in the first innings and New Zealand still won by eight wickets inside four days.
To be fair the selection decisions in the final test were some of the worst I have ever seen. Not even taking into account Narine

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that means nothing in the context of what team was selected there compared to the home series

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If we want to get into hypotheticals:

1. It should've been 3-0 in NZ. (Shillinford chucking, Bravo gloving a ball).

2. It would've been 3-0 in Windies too had NZ picked Wagner and Jeets made himself available. The Windies mightn't have played their best team but neither did we.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we want to get into hypotheticals:

1. It should've been 3-0 in NZ. (Shillinford chucking, Bravo gloving a ball).

2. It would've been 3-0 in Windies too had NZ picked Wagner and Jeets made himself available. The Windies mightn't have played their best team but neither did we.
This is a stretch. We lost the 2nd test because our batting imploded on a road. Imo opinion Wagner and Jeets would only have reduced the margin of defeat.

BTW: isn't it about time that we rename this thread "WindieWeathers vs New Zealand"

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Seriously, two series, home and away. New Zealand take it 4-1 (would've been 5-1 had it not pissed down on the last afternoon) and their is still debate over who the better team is?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Classic hendrix, Jeets plays and they win 3-0 :laugh:

But seriously I'm not sure Wagner or Jeets would've made as much as a difference compared to Sodhi/Craig as Narine would have made compared to Shillingford, just my opinion.

And the debate isn't about who the better team is but over how significant selection was, you don't have to go around flexing your muscles all the time howsie

Flem274*

123/5
Screw Jeets, I name Vettori. He would have made all the differences ever. His ton and 5/50 would have comprehensively destroyed the West Indies and I know this because of his record from years and years back against them (maybe, I haven't checked). Plus Ryder being in the squad would have magically made Rudds and Fults lift their game and smash tons.

Unavailabilities through injuries or whatever happen and good teams either have a replacement or the rest can make up for the poor player who comes in. New Zealand had two droppable players in Fulton and Rutherford and four very new players in Latham, Neesham, Sodhi and Craig and still won. While the rest of the players range from good to world class, if a team with world class and good players of their own in the side are reliant on a very new spinner to win a series against the above then well...

The West Indies have one of if not the most spin friendly domestic competition in the world so if spin bowling let them down then Narine or no Narine they can only look at themselves.

GGG

State Captain
Lets not forget that Ryder averages 100 against the West Indies :ph34r: by using the same logic as what Narine fans use against us then he would of devastated the WI bowling lineup as his average is ridiculously good.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Those who live in the glass house of Tharanga and Lakmal...
Was purely in jest re: Hendrux/jeets but my support of Lakmal/Tharanga should only be viewed in the context of the ferocious attacks you and others launch on them :p

Howsie

International Captain
But seriously I'm not sure Wagner or Jeets would've made as much as a difference compared to Sodhi/Craig as Narine would have made compared to Shillingford, just my opinion.

And the debate isn't about who the better team is but over how significant selection was, you don't have to go around flexing your muscles all the time howsie
So you're overrating Narine.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Classic hendrix, Jeets plays and they win 3-0 :laugh:

Ok, sub in Ryder for Fulton/Rutherford.

I honestly think Jeets>Craig is equal to Narine>Shillingford though. Jeets has a pretty good record vs the Windies IIRC.

Last edited: