Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Otis Gibson sacked and Micky Athur set to take over as Windies coach?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    And yet despite such a record WI still hold the record for the longest streak without defeat in a test series and have won more trophies than certain other "top sides"...but i digress .
    Yep, because form from the 1970s and 80s is completely relevant now.

"Despite Australia's top order collectively averaging about three over the past five years, we still hold the record for highest Test batting average (20+ innings)"
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    WI would have had an in-form test quality spinner playing in helpful conditions
    I was talking about Sunil Narine. Who does the bolded refer to?

Sunil Narine as it happens
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yes he's back!

The day came when you thought yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy was turned to ashes in your mouth, and you knew your debt was paid. How did it taste WW?
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    He did want to play..but the admin were stupid and banned him for turning up one day late to the "camp". Anyway like they say "everything happens for a reason" and us losing has ushered in a new dawn for our cricket. I hope we meet NZ again soon be it home or away and we'll see if the result is different with Narine in the fold .
    He certainly didn't make much of a difference the last test he played. 6-91 in the first innings and New Zealand still won by eight wickets inside four days.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    And yet despite such a record WI still hold the record for the longest streak without defeat in a test series and have won more trophies than certain other "top sides"...but i digress .
    Not so much digress as go to something that is totally and utterly irrelevant because you have no leg to stand on regarding the current side and their lack of ability.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    He certainly didn't make much of a difference the last test he played. 6-91 in the first innings and New Zealand still won by eight wickets inside four days.
    To be fair the selection decisions in the final test were some of the worst I have ever seen. Not even taking into account Narine
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Yeah that means nothing in the context of what team was selected there compared to the home series

If we want to get into hypotheticals:

1. It should've been 3-0 in NZ. (Shillinford chucking, Bravo gloving a ball).

2. It would've been 3-0 in Windies too had NZ picked Wagner and Jeets made himself available. The Windies mightn't have played their best team but neither did we.
    Last edited by hendrix; 26-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    If we want to get into hypotheticals:

1. It should've been 3-0 in NZ. (Shillinford chucking, Bravo gloving a ball).

2. It would've been 3-0 in Windies too had NZ picked Wagner and Jeets made himself available. The Windies mightn't have played their best team but neither did we.
    This is a stretch. We lost the 2nd test because our batting imploded on a road. Imo opinion Wagner and Jeets would only have reduced the margin of defeat.

BTW: isn't it about time that we rename this thread "WindieWeathers vs New Zealand"
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-08-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Seriously, two series, home and away. New Zealand take it 4-1 (would've been 5-1 had it not pissed down on the last afternoon) and their is still debate over who the better team is?

Classic hendrix, Jeets plays and they win 3-0

But seriously I'm not sure Wagner or Jeets would've made as much as a difference compared to Sodhi/Craig as Narine would have made compared to Shillingford, just my opinion.

And the debate isn't about who the better team is but over how significant selection was, you don't have to go around flexing your muscles all the time howsie

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Screw Jeets, I name Vettori. He would have made all the differences ever. His ton and 5/50 would have comprehensively destroyed the West Indies and I know this because of his record from years and years back against them (maybe, I haven't checked). Plus Ryder being in the squad would have magically made Rudds and Fults lift their game and smash tons.

Unavailabilities through injuries or whatever happen and good teams either have a replacement or the rest can make up for the poor player who comes in. New Zealand had two droppable players in Fulton and Rutherford and four very new players in Latham, Neesham, Sodhi and Craig and still won. While the rest of the players range from good to world class, if a team with world class and good players of their own in the side are reliant on a very new spinner to win a series against the above then well...

The West Indies have one of if not the most spin friendly domestic competition in the world so if spin bowling let them down then Narine or no Narine they can only look at themselves.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Classic hendrix, Jeets plays and they win 3-0
    Those who live in the glass house of Tharanga and Lakmal...

GGG
    Lets not forget that Ryder averages 100 against the West Indies by using the same logic as what Narine fans use against us then he would of devastated the WI bowling lineup as his average is ridiculously good.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information