• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Otis Gibson sacked and Micky Athur set to take over as Windies coach?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Welcome back Windie.

But you do owe us a series review post. After we won the 3rd test we kept waiting for you to come online and post your thoughts. Even if it was blaming the selectors for excluding Narine.
Cheers Hurricane...mate i was too bitter to do that...and like i said i didn't want to get banned so i left you guys to enjoy your win. In the end i think i made the right move.

Congratulations on the win..and i say that to all the kiwis here. It's over now and i'm glad to say my team is moving forward in the right direction now. Honestly mate if before that series you would have told me we'll lose 2-1 but the selectors and Gibson would be gone as a result i 100% would have taken it because longterm this is great for us. No doubt i was in a dark place after that 3rd test..but in the end it's all been worth it :cool: .

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'd have been so cut if I was a WI fan and had to deal with that scoreline having watched the selectors make a complete mockery of themselves. Narine would have made a huge difference IMO

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're going to beat your chest then run away with your tail between your legs after a loss instead of owning the egg on your face then you deserve everything you get if you turn up months later and continue chest beating.
GWB managed to do the above everyday, instead of on a monthly basis.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Fixed it for you.
How about I fix it for you too?

"WI would have had an unproven test spinner, with a ridiculously good record against New Zealand, playing in helpful conditions."

I don't think Narine would have equalled a definite series win but he definitely would have been an upgrade on post-rehab Shilly and he caused pretty much the same group of batsmen a lot of problems previously. I think it's time to give Narine a run as our premier test match spinner as I think he will cause havoc in spin friendly conditions.

GGG

State Captain
"with a ridiculously good record against New Zealand", avarages about the same as Trent Boult vs WI, 22 is very good but ridiculously good?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The thing is we all know that if Narine had been picked and performed to his overall record then WW would've straight away come out with the excuse that he couldn't be expected to perform without any red ball practice.

Still, yet again after a series defeat we hear that WI are moving forwards, so that's good news - got to improve that 10 years or so run of 6 wins in the last 84 Tests against meaningful opposition somehow...

GGG

State Captain
Actually I stand corrected, he averages 24 against us and not 22, both Boult and Southee average less vs The Windies. But he cant be judged on anything as he has only played a handful of games. He is as yet unproven.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because he is unproven doesn't mean I shouldn't be of the opinion that I think he would have made a difference, as Beamer pointed out.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The thing is we all know that if Narine had been picked and performed to his overall record then WW would've straight away come out with the excuse that he couldn't be expected to perform without any red ball practice.

Still, yet again after a series defeat we hear that WI are moving forwards, so that's good news - got to improve that 10 years or so run of 6 wins in the last 84 Tests against meaningful opposition somehow...
And yet despite such a record WI still hold the record for the longest streak without defeat in a test series and have won more trophies than certain other "top sides"...but i digress :D .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Actually I stand corrected, he averages 24 against us and not 22, both Boult and Southee average less vs The Windies. But he cant be judged on anything as he has only played a handful of games. He is as yet unproven.
He's not only devastated NZ in the tests though he's also ran through them in the one dayers...whether home or away he has a hold over that top order imo.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't want to play in the tests basically - so he is not much of a test cricketer in my eyes regardless of whether his record is the real deal or not.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He didn't want to play in the tests basically - so he is not much of a test cricketer in my eyes regardless of whether his record is the real deal or not.
He did want to play..but the admin were stupid and banned him for turning up one day late to the "camp". Anyway like they say "everything happens for a reason" and us losing has ushered in a new dawn for our cricket. I hope we meet NZ again soon be it home or away and we'll see if the result is different with Narine in the fold :D .