• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Otis Gibson sacked and Micky Athur set to take over as Windies coach?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Alright fellas!! :D

Big news coming out of the Caribbean today of major changes to our coaching set-up, it all started YESTERDAY when rumours started circulating that Gibson hadn't travelled with the squad to Grenada for the first ODI game against Bangledash on Wednesday...but there was a lot of claim and counter claim going on. But today this news has emerged in the press...

WICB favours Arthur as new coach

By Vinode Mamchan

Tuesday, August 19, 2014.

Ottis Gibson no longer in charge of the West Indies cricket team.

Just days after the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) changed the regional selection panel, they continued their house cleaning yesterday by removing Ottis Gibson as coach of the regional side.

The former all-rounder, who played two Tests and 15 One-Day internationals for the Windies, served England as bowling coach from late 2007 until he came back home to take charge of the regional unit in February 2010.

Information reaching the T&T Guardian is that he was likely to be replaced by for the former South Africa and Australia coach Mickey Arthur. The South African, Arthur recently finished his duties with the Jamaica Tallawahs in the Limacol Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament.

WICB Cricket operations director Richard Pybus met with Gibson after a string of poor performances from the regional side. The two did not see eye to eye on many matters and in the end the WICB directors were made aware of the feelings of both Pybus and Gibson.

The directors held a teleconference over the weekend and a decision was made to terminate the services of Gibson and the hunt was then on for a new coach. With the West Indies due to play Bangladesh from tomorrow in Grenada in a three-match, two-Test and lone T20 series, a coach was needed immediately and Pybus met with Arthur at the Hyatt Regency in St Kitts.

It is understood that although all terms have not been worked out, Arthur will take charge for the Bangladesh series. Gibson’s contract was not up for renewal, since he renewed his contract last year. It was for a period of three years and due to end in February 2016.

At the time of renewing the contract, WICB chief executive officer Michael Muirhead said: “Ottis has added significant value to the development of the West Indies team during his tenure and we are delighted to have secured his services for another three years.” “Most notably is that he led the implementation of a system of professionalism within the team unit and curbed the negative results, which we were experiencing with some frequency. There have also been clear successes under his stewardship from 2010to date. These include, most notably, having coached the team to the World Twenty20 title, the team showing consistent improvements in the other formats, the reintegration of players into the team unit and the achievement of the set goals as outlined in the WICB Strategic Plan 2011-2016,” Muirhead said.

The West Indies continue to struggle in the Test and ODI formats and this has prompted many changes under new president Dave Cameron.

Darren Sammy was removed as ODI captain and replaced by Dwayne Bravo, while the St Lucian was also replaced as Test captain by Denesh Ramdin. Sammy has held on to his post as T20 captain. Recently the changes continued with former Test captain Clive Lloyd replacing Clyde Butts as chief selector, while Eldine Baptiste and Courtney Walsh were also made selectors. Making way for them was Robert Haynes, while Courtney Browne was been sent to deal with youth selection and women’s cricket.
Link

Firstly let me say i haven't been posting lately because to be honest i was totally disillusioned with my team after they contrived to mess up so badly during the recent NZ series. Leaving Narine on the sidelines and then changing a winning team for the 3rd and vital test was just too much to stomach.

Well..since that shambles it looks like us WI fans dreams are coming true bit by bit as they've cleared out the worthless piece of crap that was our "selection panel" and replaced them with Lloyd, Walsh and Baptiste. And now they've seemingly gotten rid of that absolute pretender that is Otis Gibson too!!..this new administration under President Dave Cameron and Richard Pybus aren't taking any prisoners my friends :laugh:.

As for Arthur..nothing is on the dotted line yet but i'm shocked they appear to have picked him tbh (Pybus a major influence apparently). His stint with South Africa wasn't bad i guess but of course the Australia spell left a lot to be desired, although one could argue that they were getting better and better during the England away series which was pretty much still his team. Never the less he's come back in the CPL with the Jamaican side and done very well...he's a proper "coach" with tons of experience which is probably what we need right now so i'm prepard to give the guy a chance if he is indeed the chosen one.

In closing what we'll need is a little stability now after all the madness that's occured..we face a very tough run coming up after the Bang series when we travel to India and SA and then take on England at home..if we manage to win one of those series it would be a major step forward...the last time we did beat one of those (England in 2009) we had a foreign coach so i guess the omens are good :p.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Let's face it, irrespective of who you pick, it's a step up from Gibson.

Arthur in charge of South Africa was extremely good indeed, and given the West Indies don't feature Shane Watson, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to succeed if he gets the nod here. The guy is a quality coach.

Flem274*

123/5
Alright fellas!! :D

Big news coming out of the Caribbean today of major changes to our coaching set-up, it all started YESTERDAY when rumours started circulating that Gibson hadn't travelled with the squad to Grenada for the first ODI game against Bangledash on Wednesday...but there was a lot of claim and counter claim going on. But today this news has emerged in the press...

Link

Firstly let me say i haven't been posting lately because to be honest i was totally disillusioned with my team after they contrived to mess up so badly during the recent NZ series. Leaving Narine on the sidelines and then changing a winning team for the 3rd and vital test was just too much to stomach.

Well..since that shambles it looks like us WI fans dreams are coming true bit by bit as they've cleared out the worthless piece of crap that was our "selection panel" and replaced them with Lloyd, Walsh and Baptiste. And now they've seemingly gotten rid of that absolute pretender that is Otis Gibson too!!..this new administration under President Dave Cameron and Richard Pybus aren't taking any prisoners my friends :laugh:.

As for Arthur..nothing is on the dotted line yet but i'm shocked they appear to have picked him tbh (Pybus a major influence apparently). His stint with South Africa wasn't bad i guess but of course the Australia spell left a lot to be desired, although one could argue that they were getting better and better during the England away series. Never the less he's come back in the CPL with the Jamaican side and done very well...he's a proper "coach" with tons of experience which is probably what we need right now so i'm prepard to give the guy a chance if he is indeed the chosen one.

In closing what we'll need is a little stability now after all the madness that's occured..we face a very tough run coming up after the Bang series when we travel to India and SA and then take on England at home..if we manage to win one of those series it would be a major step forward...the last time we did beat one of those (England in 2009) we had a foreign coach so i guess the omens are good :p.
You're the Tom to the world's Jerry.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Let's face it, irrespective of who you pick, it's a step up from Gibson.

Arthur in charge of South Africa was extremely good indeed, and given the West Indies don't feature Shane Watson, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to succeed if he gets the nod here. The guy is a quality coach.
Cheers Dan. What kind of coach would he say he is? one who works on players games and looks to improve them? or one who is purely tactical? right now we're lucky enough to be having a lot of good youngsters coming through..so my only hope is he can help to mold them into proper cricketers and build a decent team moving forward.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Haha, as if this will make any difference whatsoever.
Well actually...

1. we've changed our domestic structure which will see our competition look more like county cricket

2. we're improving the youth system and have given them more games at all levels this year

3. they are looking at funding club cricket across the caribbean in an effort to improve that level too

4. they've changed the captain

5. they've changed the selectors

6. and now they've changed the coach

So clearly...Micky would be just the iceing on a very big cake that has been baked here :D .

Flem274*

123/5
gibson was on borrowed time. a shakib-less bangladesh shouldn't have enough to beat the windies but it could be a tricky tour. i hope the windies beat those indian and english bastards though.
Eh? i take it that means you missed me then? :laugh:
just when i thought your running away was permanent you're back for more.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cheers Dan. What kind of coach would he say he is? one who works on players games and looks to improve them? or one who is purely tactical? right now we're lucky enough to be having a lot of good youngsters coming through..so my only hope is he can help to mold them into proper cricketers and build a decent team moving forward.
No clue whatsoever. My knowledge of coaches is limited at best.

Howsie

International Captain
Yay. Let's hope the Windies can at least beat Bangladesh now ay? Haven't won in a little while.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yay. Let's hope the Windies can at least beat Bangladesh now ay? Haven't won in a little while.
LOL the kiwis still ****y after we contrived to lose the series aye? no worries...revenge will taste sweet the next time the two sides meet :D .

Flem274*

123/5
Deonarine played test cricket before the Aussie tests so no he's not a "youngster in the grand scheme of things", he's a man who's got plenty experience, was the best batter in the last domestic season and is taking his chance now, like i said before just how long do you expect Chanders to go on for? until he's 40? 8-)
oh windie

Howsie

International Captain
LOL the kiwis still ****y after we contrived to lose the series aye? no worries...revenge will taste sweet the next time the two sides meet :D .
You had your pants pulled down at home. Ain't no coming back from that. Stick to series against Bangladesh.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You had your pants pulled down at home. Ain't no coming back from that. Stick to series against Bangladesh.
I'm actually thankful we had a "pants pulled down"..now we've got a new selection panel and a new coach coming in...so thank you kiwis..we owe you!! :laugh: .

And i'm sure your team will enjoy sitting on the sidelines while we play India, Sa and Eng over the next nine months too :D .

Howsie

International Captain
Better make sure you take that series against Bangladesh then. It'll be a long year otherwise.