• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Otis Gibson sacked and Micky Athur set to take over as Windies coach?

91Jmay

International Coach
This job will sink or swim Micky Arthur IMO. We'd have beaten the brakes off them with him as coach, at least 4-0, his Aus team was a total debacle. That said his S.A team where good, so will see who should take most blame for the issues. Normally I'd blame the coach mostly but Shane Watson is Shane Watson so who knows.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This job will sink or swim Micky Arthur IMO. We'd have beaten the brakes off them with him as coach, at least 4-0, his Aus team was a total debacle. That said his S.A team where good, so will see who should take most blame for the issues. Normally I'd blame the coach mostly but Shane Watson is Shane Watson so who knows.
Sport can be a funny old game..take for example Tony Pulis who was pretty much driven out of Stoke City because they felt his football was "boring" and his tactics were "old fashion". He leaves them and ends up taking over a club who were doomed for relegation in Crystal Palace..he not only keeps them up with ease but then tops it off by being named the manager of the year in the process. The moral of the story is a fresh start can do wonders for a coach...it's a different environment in the caribbean and he'll have time to pretty much mold his own side without being under too much pressure.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
It has been a fantastic week for West Indies cricket IMHO (ignoring the farcical ending to the CPL). As WW said, we've finally gotten rid of the worst selectors in our history and replaced them with people who understand our cricket and watch all the domestic cricket week in and out. It has been a terribly frustrating time under Clyde Butthead and co so here's hoping that from now on if we lose, which we probably will for a while, we'll at least lose with our best players who can learn and improve as a result of the experience.

As for Otis, as I said a few times in the NZ tour thread, it was time for him to go. A home loss to NZ in our own conditions, strange selection decisions in series deciding matches and awful man management skills (falling out with every senior player at some point in his tenure). It is time for fresh ideas to help implement Pybus's vision. I've always quite liked Micky Arthur so wouldn't mind his appointment at all if that is indeed what they're planning.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've always thought Gibson was a good chap; certainly did well as our bowling coach. Could see him getting a county coaching gig.

Arthur tho; not convinced. Think the bloke's a bit of a ****, tbh. Can't see him and Gayle getting on at all. From the outside looking in, Arthur comes across as a JFDI who rules by dictat.

Flem274*

123/5
*sigh*

Howsie, Flem, WW; you're all better than this.
If you're going to beat your chest then run away with your tail between your legs after a loss instead of owning the egg on your face then you deserve everything you get if you turn up months later and continue chest beating.

DriveClub

International Regular
I quite like WW, he's a passionate and sensitive fan who always has high hopes for his team, it's unfortunate that the reality is different but you can't fault his spirit however volatile it may be !!

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If you're going to beat your chest then run away with your tail between your legs after a loss instead of owning the egg on your face then you deserve everything you get if you turn up months later and continue chest beating.
What "egg"? i made my position clear after it was confirmed Narine was being left out!!.. 8-) .

Anyways that's in the past now. Gibson's departure has now been CONFIRMED by the wicb. Now it's a matter of getting in the replacement in due course whether it's Arthur or somebody else.

Gibson gone

By EZRA STUART

August 20, 2014

IT’S NOW OFFICIAL! Barbadian Ottis Gibson is no longer the West Indies’ cricket coach after serving four years in the job.

Official confirmation came late last night that the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and Gibson had mutually agreed to terminate their association.

In a Press release, the WICB expressed its gratitude to Gibson “for his unwavering commitment and professionalism during his tenure as the coach of the West Indies team”.

WICB chief executive officer Michael Muirhead thanked Gibson for his services but did not give any reason for the coach’s sudden departure.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I quite like WW, he's a passionate and sensitive fan who always has high hopes for his team, it's unfortunate that the reality is different but you can't fault his spirit however volatile it may be !!
There's nothing wrong with being passionate. The problem is with posters who continually shift goalposts to avoid ever admitting they were wrong and lost fair and square.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Why sink to his level in response though?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
There's nothing wrong with being passionate. The problem is with posters who continually shift goalposts to avoid ever admitting they were wrong and lost fair and square.
Saying our best weapon was left out and blasting the coaches for changing a side that won by ten wickets isn't "moving the goalposts"..it's stating a fact...any fair minded person would admit that those two things played a huge role in WI losing the series.

But anyway guys lets just move on aye? Gibson is GONE and i'm too happy right now to be arguing over silly stuff :D .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome back Windie.

But you do owe us a series review post. After we won the 3rd test we kept waiting for you to come online and post your thoughts. Even if it was blaming the selectors for excluding Narine.