• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why don't fifties remain fifties?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This has always bothered me. Whn a batsman gets to ffity it's a nice little milestone and he raises the bat to the crowd. But if he manages to get to a hundred, it's erased from the 50s column. I mean, it's still a 50+ score, so why should it be erased from existence? It doesn't happen with 100s... (ie) when a guy gets to 200, it isn't erased from the 100s column and put into a separate one for doubles. Why the discrimination against 50s?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I like 50s
How the **** can you like 50's?? They're just wannabe hundreds FFS.

50's are for No 10's and 11's to celebrate not for batsmen. What the hell is a good top order batsmen doing raising his bat for achieving his average?? Yay.....lets have a celebration for achieving my mean.

All 50's should be stricken from the record unless you bat 9, 10 or 11 IMO.

OverratedSanity

How the **** can you like 50's?? They're just wannabe hundreds FFS.

50's are for No 10's and 11's to celebrate not for batsmen. What the hell is a good top order batsmen doing raising his bat for achieving his average?? Yay.....lets have a celebration for achieving my mean.

All 50's should be stricken from the record unless you bat 9, 10 or 11 IMO.
All I'm asking for is some consistency. If it's being recognized as a milestone, why is it erased once a batsman doubles it. Makes no sense. Might as well say hundreds are wannabe doubles. Who gives a **** if you got a century... get on with your job and make it a big daddy. #RecognizeFifties

Howe_zat

Audio File
It is a bit silly when a bloke raises his fifty and the commentator says 'that's his 30th test fifty' or something, but if he kept tonning up he would get infinite repeats of his 30th test fifty

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, I think it's a case of three figures vs two figures. If someone got a 1000 someday, then I am sure it wouldn't be counted as a hundred :p

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
To make the stats more distinct from each other I guess, not such a bad system for looking at things like conversion rates I suppose

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I got to 25 once but no ****er treated that as a milestone even though it was worth more than most 50s, 100s or whatever other currency you use to measure batting quality

OverratedSanity

To make the stats more distinct from each other I guess, not such a bad system for looking at things like conversion rates I suppose
You could still see the conversion rate anyway. Under the current system, Bradman has 29 hundreds and 13 fifties, which means his conversion rate was 29/(29+13)= 29/42= 69%

If it used the proper system, his record would show 29 hundreds and 42 fifties, so his conversion rate = 29/42 = 69%

So, If fifties counted as they should, even calculating the conversion rate actually becomes easier. We're doing an extra addition operation!!! This needs to ****ing stop. There's no reason why it should be like this. NONE.

cnerd123

likes this
You could still see the conversion rate anyway. Under the current system, Bradman has 29 hundreds and 13 fifties, which means his conversion rate was 29/(29+13)= 29/42= 69%

If it used the proper system, his record would show 29 hundreds and 42 fifties, so his conversion rate = 29/42 = 69%

So, If fifties counted as they should, even calculating the conversion rate actually becomes easier. We're doing an extra addition operation!!! This needs to ****ing stop. There's no reason why it should be like this. NONE.
Maybe it's just done this way to piss you off, ****.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno, seeing the 50s as distinct from the hundreds makes it easier for me to quickly see how they stack up relative to each other, not a huge issue for me though haha

cpr

International Coach
Why don't 100's count in the 50 column twice? I mean it is just 2 50's back to back.

Lack of 200+ column does irk me slightly though.