• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why don't fifties remain fifties?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I don't find the dropped catches stat of much value. At elite level, guys hardly ever "drop" a catch. Apart from the complete nuffie fielders. And everyone already knows who they are. Anytime a "catch" goes to ground, it's usually an incredibly difficult chance involving diving and/or running backwards.
Guess Pakistan just isn't at the elite level then.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great thread. We then wouldn't have ridiculous situations like the celebration of de Kock's maiden ODI 50 when he already had 5 100s to his name.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Guess Pakistan just isn't at the elite level then.
TBF I rarely watch cricket that doesn't involve Australia. Can hardly recall an Australian dropping a catch that looked easily catchable in recent memory. No doubt I'm wrong, but it'd be pretty rare. Maybe Hayden and Warne dropped a couple at 1st.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is this the good old days of CW posters talk about? Glad I wasn't here because that thread is bat**** insane.
It's one poster versus the rest, as was often the case when Richard was around. Same has happened with a few other posters over time too. Hardly indicative of the overall quality of CW at that point

Spark

Global Moderator
TBF I rarely watch cricket that doesn't involve Australia. Can hardly recall an Australian dropping a catch that looked easily catchable in recent memory. No doubt I'm wrong, but it'd be pretty rare. Maybe Hayden and Warne dropped a couple at 1st.
There was a period from 2008-2011 when we dropped heaps. Basically until Clarke got settled in the slips and Watson stopped being incompetent.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lyth got his debut fifty today.

Only lasted a couple of hours though because he unfortunately got to 100. Should get his first fifty soon and hope he isn't getting too down on himself that he hasn't got one yet.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shouldn't chanceless innings be rated higher? I would think so.
Because being chanceless or not doesnt change the actual runs produced and innings should be judged within the context of a game rather than what might have been.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and 50s measure completed innings from 50 to 99 rather than 50+ scores. Therefore no issue.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If that's the case, OverratedSanity's point still stands in that its awkward that commentators will state that it is Lynch's maiden 50, and yet he won't have one on the record books.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If that's the case, OverratedSanity's point still stands in that its awkward that commentators will state that it is Lynch's maiden 50, and yet he won't have one on the record books.
Who gives a ****