Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is the criticism of the Indian batting line up justified?

While Pujara, Dawan, Kohli and Lolbhir genuinely looked like they didn't have too much of a clue. Rahane and Vijay certainly started the series well, and in fairness Vijay got some ****ing good balls. Rahane's batting seemed to fall off a cliff after a magnificent innings at Lords.

I don't know who is going around trying to motivate them either. Dhoni doesn't give anything away in the few press conferences but they way he batted and attempted to get around his obvious shortcomings should have been a lesson to them all. It must have been hurting like hell.

I think that the main point is that they didn't just fail, they did a Pakistan and were COMPELTELY non competent. I do agree that its a bit harsh to criticise the likes of Kohli, Pujara etc because we know they are class batsmen but how can they be completely clueless just because the ball was moving? It wasn't like they just struggled, they failed completely, and thats what I don't understand. A 3-1 series defeat is fair enough if you put up a fight, but there was no desire or hunger to stay at the crease and thats why they are getting so heavily grilled. If Buvnaresh Kumar can stay at the crease and score runs, so can Kohli. It was almost like watching Pakistan a few years ago, and I suppose thats the problem with techniques of the subcontinent.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
    Only if one side is completely outgunned. A 5 tester between India and England shouldn't be that. India have been fairly disgraceful, loose impatient shots, no application shown at all. Many of them need some serious attention to their techniques, otherwise they're never going to live up to the reputation of the batsmen they've succeeded.
    Majority of five test match series I've seen have had completely dead 5th matches. Same applies with a lot of four test series as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Majority of five test match series I've seen have had completely dead 5th matches. Same applies with a lot of four test series as well.
    By dead do you mean one side failing to turn up? Or in a dead rubber sense?

Theoretically the visiting side should be at their best in the final game.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    By dead do you mean one side failing to turn up? Or in a dead rubber sense?

Theoretically the visiting side should be at their best in the final game.
    Dead rubbers because the visiting side never turned up.

NAH PISS OFF I AIN'T RELAXING.

s
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    So it was greentops 3 years ago and banana swing this time.

Can't wait till they tour again for the next excuse.
    Get it right flibberty, the excuse in 2011 was injuries not pitches

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    The same bowlers who were big contributors to almost drawing both series? Ok.

Current India crumble as soon as you show any resistance, with the bat or with the ball. McCullum and Watling batted for a day and then had India by the balls mentally. You see the same with the current West Indian side, which is a talented line up that loses faith if you can win a session.
    Yes. the issue is they cbf fighting when the other team comes back hard at them. Auckland the only exception probably when they fought back.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Can't remember when you said you started watching cricket. Last year's Ashes (both) obviously did, but this series just passed didn't, neither did the 10-11 Ashes, or the 09 Ashes.

Nor the '05 Ashes.

Considering these are the only 5 test series that have been played in this time it is 3 5 test series that were dead for the last test and 4 that weren't........that's hardly a bad stat for 5 test series is it?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Get it right flibberty, the excuse in 2011 was injuries not pitches
    Not according to your lover before the series in India.

U19 Cricketer
    "Don't be so jealous of IPL". Dhoni's words speak volumes. IPL money has totally corrupted the game in India. Its very existence means it is likely that we have seen in Dravid and Tendulkar the last Indian batting greats. When you combine the continuing fall-off in batting standards with India's traditionally iffy and non-penetrative bowling, I can see the country sliding to de facto minnow status alongside Bangladesh and Zimbabwe within a decade. The nouveaux riches would-be nabobs of IPL and BCCI will respond to this new humiliation with Dhoni-like nonchalance: "you're only criticizing our performances in the longer format [i.e. the game itself] because you're jealous of the billions we rake in from its exciting and innovative [i.e. meaningless and evanescent] spinoff".
    Last edited by CWB304; 19-08-2014 at 02:35 AM.
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Just saw the Dhoni press conference where he made that IPL comment. So, so disappointing. For someone who is known for remaining cool nommatter what, him getting so defensive at the mere mention of the IPL says a lot about his priorities.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Just saw the Dhoni press conference where he made that IPL comment. So, so disappointing. For someone who is known for remaining cool nommatter what, him getting so defensive at the mere mention of the IPL says a lot about his priorities.
    and those of his bosses too as if it wasn't their priority he wouldn't have reacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Not to sound overly schmaltzy here but the fact that they put in this performance over an independence day weekend against their former colonial rulers says all that needs to be said. I'm not saying they played badly on purpose but there has been more than a fair dollop of spinelessness over the last three games, and never so pronounced as today.
    On this day, let us remember all the Indians who struggled against the British:

Kohli, Dhawan, Gambhir, Pujara, Jadeja, Ashwin, Shami, Pankaj

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information