• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the criticism of the Indian batting line up justified?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Time to sack Fletcher? I really don't see the point of him. Beaten by his former team home and away.
It's funny. Whenever India have done well under Fletcher there's been absolutely no praise of him but whenever they lose it's all his fault?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think 2011 had Dravid, which made an awful lot of difference, testicular fortitude wise.

India were obviously on the end of a shellacking, but the great man never once gave it away.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think 2011 had Dravid, which made an awful lot of difference, testicular fortitude wise.

India were obviously on the end of a shellacking, but the great man never once gave it away.
Yeah, this really puts into perspective again how immense he was. The rest of the batting was just as useless, and Broad actually bowled far better that series than this time.

OverratedSanity

On purely batting, this series is the worst I've seen from India. Worst overall still Australia 2011/12, though

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not to sound overly schmaltzy here but the fact that they put in this performance over an independence day weekend against their former colonial rulers says all that needs to be said. I'm not saying they played badly on purpose but there has been more than a fair dollop of spinelessness over the last three games, and never so pronounced as today.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The batting over the last 3 tests has been on minnow level. Would expect slightly more from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That's why 2 and 3 Test series are thhe pits. 4 and particularly 5 Test series are exponentially more challenging for players.
Controversial opinion; I think the series are poorer for it. No one cares once one side has gone to the pits.

Flem274*

123/5
India's batsman did well in SA and NZ in two tests
Hmm not so sure myself. They did ok. In SA it went 280 then 421 in the draw, 334 then 223 with Rahane scoring half of the second innings runs in the loss. Then in NZ Rohit Sharma bailed them out to post 202 in reply to 503 before they fell 40 runs short in the chase with a good try of 366. I the second test Dhawan, Rahane in at 7 and Dhoni bailed them out to post a good total of 438 before Kohli scored his game is already dead century to have them 166/3 at the end.

It was very up and down and a lot of times when there was scoreboard pressure or something vaguely important happening the top four folded in a heap and it was left to poor old Rahane and the lower order to bail them out. Dhawan and the two glory boys had their moments but the batsman who emerges with the most credit from the past few months (England included) is Rahane.

OverratedSanity

Hmm not so sure myself. They did ok. In SA it went 280 then 421 in the draw, 334 then 223 with Rahane scoring half of the second innings runs in the loss. Then in NZ Rohit Sharma bailed them out to post 202 in reply to 503 before they fell 40 runs short in the chase with a good try of 366. I the second test Dhawan, Rahane in at 7 and Dhoni bailed them out to post a good total of 438 before Kohli scored his game is already dead century to have them 166/3 at the end.

It was very up and down and a lot of times when there was scoreboard pressure or something vaguely important happening the top four folded in a heap and it was left to poor old Rahane and the lower order to bail them out. Dhawan and the two glory boys had their moments but the batsman who emerges with the most credit from the past few months (England included) is Rahane.
Really weird analysis. Each of the top 5 has bailed us out at some stage in those two series, just as you said. That's really what a good lineup does. Someone always delivers. They've been awful this series, let's not make it seem they weren't really that good in NZ and sa. They were extremely good. We'd have drawn both series if we'd had half decent bowlers.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah too early to criticise Indian batsmen. Wait till next IPL. I am sure they will regain form.

Flem274*

123/5
Really weird analysis. Each of the top 5 has bailed us out at some stage in those two series, just as you said. That's really what a good lineup does. Someone always delivers. They've been awful this series, let's not make it seem they weren't really that good in NZ and sa. They were extremely good. We'd have drawn both series if we'd had half decent bowlers.
The same bowlers who were big contributors to almost drawing both series? Ok.

Current India crumble as soon as you show any resistance, with the bat or with the ball. McCullum and Watling batted for a day and then had India by the balls mentally. You see the same with the current West Indian side, which is a talented line up that loses faith if you can win a session.

Daemon

People are forgetting how badly India bowled and fielded through the majority of that 2011 series. They only actually dismissed us once, in the first innings of the second test. The rest of the time was waiting around for batsmen to get double tons and declare. Half the England batting lineup was just queing up to score as much as they felt like while RP got flown in for no reason, Sreesanth leaped over balls in the field that went for 4, Sehwag went for a sit down or two in the pavillion and Ravi Bopara got a fifty.

And there were days like today like the 4th day at TB where Broad was smashing sixes off Yuvraj and Raina before the Indians got all out for 120. Dravid was the only batsman to put up aything like resistance, there was plenty of talk of inevitable capitulation then, usually centred around Gambhir and Raina (Sehwag getting king pairs was considered at least eventful).

Oh and as mentioned - they did not ****ing win a game.
Maybe because we're comparing the batting :p

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Controversial opinion; I think the series are poorer for it. No one cares once one side has gone to the pits.
Only if one side is completely outgunned. A 5 tester between India and England shouldn't be that. India have been fairly disgraceful, loose impatient shots, no application shown at all. Many of them need some serious attention to their techniques, otherwise they're never going to live up to the reputation of the batsmen they've succeeded.