• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Cricket - Mike Hussey or Michael Bevan?

ODIs only - Hussey or Bevan?

• Mike Hussey

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Michael Bevan

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just wondered who people prefer or think is better out of these 2 ODI "finishers." I basically started watching cricket from about 2003 onwards so didn't really see much of Bevan but saw Hussey's entire international career. Both have incredible averages. Hussey has a much better SR but I guess that's down to the fact he played later when run rates and strike rates increased.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan was a clinical mofo during chases, he was. Never gave you a chance if it was a run-a-ball chase.

Was weaker than Hussey when it came to first innings finishing though. Hussey much better there. Symonds the best Aussies have had on that note.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've said this before but Hussey is the perfect One Day batsman IMO. Has absolutely everything you'd want from a middle order player.

viriya

International Captain
Hard to compare due to different eras.. I chose Bevan because he was the original finisher but not much between them..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Verrrrry close and whilst I go for Bev, Hussey a very strong contender with probably just as many significant knocks and sense of the big occasion.

Post-dismissal dummy spits, though, Bev's my man by streets. Until the redevelopment, there were still some dents from Bev attacks in the AO locker rooms from when he was playing for SA. Should have found a way to preserve them, tbh.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Urghh. I hated watching him bat.

Fine, he was pretty effective.

But look, nearly 30% of his innings were NOs. In contrast to say, Ponting, who had about 10%.

I know, different roles etc. And I know, Bevan was there at the end and "finished" the game and all that stuff. But I think his average is overblown bc of his NOs, and his "finisher" role is a bit overstated. I just don't think he's the best ODI batsman or whatever. And if I had the choice between him and Hussey batting at 6 or 7, I'd take Hussey without a 2nd thought.

And, I hated watching him bat.

Burgey

Yeah but you said he wasn't that good. Not that you hated watching him bat, ffs. Plainly he was very good at his role, even if you thought his batting style was as ugly as a hat full of arse holes.

OverratedSanity

Hussey was amazing, and definitely better in the slog overs, but I'll go for Bevan. Played some monumental knocks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah but you said he wasn't that good. Not that you hated watching him bat, ffs. Plainly he was very good at his role, even if you thought his batting style was as ugly as a hat full of arse holes.
I actually don't think he was as good at his role as everyone makes out. He did "finish" a couple of matches or whatever, but I thought the whole "finisher" and "calculating brain" **** and all that the Aust commentators went on about was full ****.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I actually don't think he was as good at his role as everyone makes out. He did "finish" a couple of matches or whatever, but I thought the whole "finisher" and "calculating brain" **** and all that the Aust commentators went on about was full ****.
Nah, it was real. The guy has several WC knocks alone where he saved our asses.

Loved watching Bevan bat. A big Bevan knock often meant an incredibly tense chase.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Chasing Bevan has it by a significant margin. However Hussey as has been mentioned is better at setting a total. As for overall I'd give Bevan the edge for their actual careers, but his weakness in setting is a big enough of a problem that many sides would have been better off with Hussey.

MSD is clearly better than both however.

edit2: Does anyone have a stat on how many chases aus lost with Bevan at the crease?

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
People seem to have a huge misconception about Bevan setting totals. Averages 52 @ 80 SR (which in those days was quite high).

ajdude

International Coach
Hussey's World Cup record ruins him for me;

Matches = 15
Runs = 156
HS = 54 (against Kenya in 2011)
Average = 19.50

Bevan's World Cup record is better;

Matches = 26
Runs = 537
HS 74*
Average = 44.75

That 74 not out came in typical Bevan fashion against ENG in 2003:- AUS 135/8 chasing 2008 before Bevan and Bichel cruised it home to win the game in the last over.

37th Match: Australia v England at Port Elizabeth, Mar 2, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
tbf in 07 hussey barely got a hit and in 11 he was coming back from hamstring surgery with no preparation at all

Burgey

Haha yeah, I remember Australia having to change the batting order to get him a hit in 07. They were smashing everyone, and Hayden went utterly beserk that tourney.

Riggins

International Captain
That 74 not out came in typical Bevan fashion against ENG in 2003:- AUS 135/8 chasing 2008 before Bevan and Bichel cruised it home to win the game in the last over.
I dont care what anyone says, how is this not the greatest win ever?