• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Cricket - Mike Hussey or Michael Bevan?

ODIs only - Hussey or Bevan?

• Mike Hussey

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Michael Bevan

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
For the thousandth time, Not Outs do not inflate a batsman's average. (Quite the reverse: it's harder to get 30* and 30 than a single score of 60, because when you get 60 you only have to play yourself in once.) Oh and I fail to see why the fact that a batsman ends an innings undefeated is somehow held against them in assessing how good they are.
Haha this so, so much.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree about the not out-not inflating the average scenario, but making 54* (56) and being in at the end of 50 overs isn't THAT much better than 53 (55) and getting out after 49.5 overs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I agree about the not out-not inflating the average scenario, but making 54* (56) and being in at the end of 50 overs isn't THAT much better than 53 (55) and getting out after 49.5 overs.
But if you have the ability to stay not out you will make 53/54 more often than if you did not have that ability.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But if you have the ability to stay not out you will get to make 53/54 more often than if you did not have that ability.
Not really my point. I was more replying to this.
Quite the reverse: it's harder to get 30* and 30 than a single score of 60, because when you get 60 you only have to play yourself in once.
My point is in ODIs, particularly when setting a target, getting out close to the end isn't as bad for the player and teams cause as it is made out to be statistically.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My point is in ODIs, particularly when setting a target, getting out close to the end isn't as bad for the player and teams cause as it is made out to be statistically.
This part of your post is still what I countered. You can't plan to get dismissed on the last ball of the innings every time. You simply can't have a batsman who had exactly same scores as Bevan but always got dismissed at the end. The fact that Bevan stayed not out so often means that he often had the ability of playing a longer innings if he had more time - something he demonstrated in other games where he entered early. So his batting average is accurate representation of his ability, if not per match contribution. But you can't take anything away from him for having a different 'ability' and per match contribution. That's simply a function of what role he played.

There absolutely can not be any consideration of not outs when talking about a batsman's average, no matter how qualified.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
People seem to have a huge misconception about Bevan setting totals. Averages 52 @ 80 SR (which in those days was quite high).
Yeah this is a point I often make. Bevan's overall strike rate seems lower because, when chasing, he batted in a very calculated fashion and Australia were often not chasing very big scores due to their good bowling attack. When setting a target he scored much more quickly.

watson

Banned

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This part of your post is still what I countered. You can't plan to get dismissed on the last ball of the innings every time. You simply can't have a batsman who had exactly same scores as Bevan but always got dismissed at the end. The fact that Bevan stayed not out so often means that he often had the ability of playing a longer innings if he had more time - something he demonstrated in other games where he entered early. So his batting average is accurate representation of his ability, if not per match contribution. But you can't take anything away from him for having a different 'ability' and per match contribution. That's simply a function of what role he played.

There absolutely can not be any consideration of not outs when talking about a batsman's average, no matter how qualified.
Most of what you have written is extremely obvious and not my point at all and your last point is completely false. Of course there can be a consideration of not outs when talking about a batsmans average, weird to think not.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well I have to see a good argument why a batsman's average needs to be qualified by mentioning number of not outs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah this is a point I often make. Bevan's overall strike rate seems lower because, when chasing, he batted in a very calculated fashion and Australia were often not chasing very big scores due to their good bowling attack. When setting a target he scored much more quickly.
There is similar difference between 1st and 2nd innings SR of Dhoni and Hussey. So Bevan is not doing anything unique here. Not my point to bag him for his SR but it's not a Bevan specialty to score quicker in 1st innings and slower in 2nd.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, Dhoni gets criticised for running a chase all too close (in comparison to how he finishes the first innings), but he always manages to pace it perfectly. He's had 38 second innings not-outs and only one of them has resulted in a loss. Pakistan won that match by 85 runs, and he'd have needed to score 139 at a SR of 156 to pull that one off.

Bevan has had 5 not out failures out of 30 in chases. The ones you could criticise him for are his 45* (59) where Australia fell short by 7 runs and Bevan failed to hit a single boundary, his 56* (76) with 2 boundaries where Australia fell short by 7 runs, and his 24* (21) with one boundary with Australia falling short by 1 run. He also had this 31* (76) with just a single boundary, but in his defence it was against an ATG attack of Wasim-Waqar-Akhtar-Saqlain-Razzaq. This one seems excusable given the steep target.

Basically Bevan had the one single shortcoming of an over-reliance on singles which backfired in 4/30 chases. Whether it was an inability to pull off the boundaries at will or a miscalculation in the case of the failures, one can't say. He did have that mammoth second innings against an excellent Asia XI attack (perhaps the best chasing innings of all time, with all due respect to Herschelle) that almost won his team the game, so I'm inclined to believe the latter.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is similar difference between 1st and 2nd innings SR of Dhoni and Hussey. So Bevan is not doing anything unique here. Not my point to bag him for his SR but it's not a Bevan specialty to score quicker in 1st innings and slower in 2nd.
He's just pointing out that Bevan not being fast enough when it comes to setting up big totals in the first innings is a bit of a myth

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He's just pointing out that Bevan not being fast enough when it comes to setting up big totals in the first innings is a bit of a myth
Yeah I know. Just pointing out others in similar roles did same too. So the question of whether Bevan was as good as say Dhoni in first innings comes down to whether SR of 95 in Dhoni's times is same as 80 in Bevan's.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I know. Just pointing out others in similar roles did same too..
No they didn't. Not in Bevan's time. Bevan's style of play was absolutely his own, everyone else was focused on bashing the bowling before the field went out, knocking it around until the last ten then throwing the bat. Bevan's ability to knock the ball around and change gears even in the last 10 was unique and paved the way for your Husseys and Dhonis to refine it further.

The big difference was Bevan's ability to pick a bowler or a moment to swing the bat for, like, an over. He'd get to, say, over 44 then sense a key moment and smack someone around for a couple of boundaries to bring the required run-rate down or arrest it's rise then go back to chipping it around. Everyone else, once they decided to tee-off, would just keeping swinging. Bevan assessed things over-by-over, something no one else did at all or not quite as well in the case of some SL middle order players of the time (Mahanama, for example).

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That first innings that Ikki mentioned about Bevan doesn't really deserve to be on the list. Sure, we needed someone to build the innings, but out for 69 with a strike rate of 62 wasn't amazing and only looks good in hindsight after an all-time great collapse.
Of course it does, it's actually in hindsight and without context that it ironically looks worse. It was difficult batting conditions, where the top 3 scores in that game came <70 SR; against an all-time great ODI attack (Ambrose, Bishop, Walsh); and Australia had lost 4 wickets for 15 runs. Law and Bevan saved that match with 72 @ 69 and 69 @ 63 respectively.

It was great bowling by the Australians as well that caused the collapse, but even at 165/2, after 41 overs, the run-rate for the WIndies was only 4 an over.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan has had 5 not out failures out of 30 in chases. The ones you could criticise him for are his 45* (59) where Australia fell short by 7 runs and Bevan failed to hit a single boundary, his 56* (76) with 2 boundaries where Australia fell short by 7 runs, and his 24* (21) with one boundary with Australia falling short by 1 run. He also had this 31* (76) with just a single boundary, but in his defence it was against an ATG attack of Wasim-Waqar-Akhtar-Saqlain-Razzaq. This one seems excusable given the steep target.
We've discussed this before, only the first one is a legitimate problem. In the 56* he couldn't get going because all those around him were dropping like flies. The only reason we even got close was because of Bevan. Bevan himself comes in at 4/48 and Blewett goes immediately and it's 5/48. Australia had a really long tail and it's with Julian than they manage to stave off an absolute collapse but he doesn't stay long either and leaves Bevan at 6/94. Warne, Fleming and McGrath struggle to get off strike and ate up a lot of balls, meanwhile losing their wickets for peanuts. It was also clearly a bowler's pitch. In England's line-up only Gough chancing his arm at the end of the innings scored at a higher SR than Bevan but even that was for only 23 runs. Almost every other English batsman struggled to get even to 60 SR. The Australians likewise had problems, and with all this context it's evident why Bevan's match high score of 56 @ 74 was more than fine.

Even the 24(21) innings was not his fault either. He was clearly striking fast enough (114 SR). If anything, Symonds cost us that match with an unusually slow innings 36* @ 69. In the 31* against Pakistan, we fell 45 runs short because the whole team collapsed. Bevan came in at #4 for 2/60 and tried to get some foothold as his team crumbled for a total of 139.

So his method really only cost him 1 time.

Last edited: