• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2014/15

SeamUp

International Coach
Klusener renews Dolphins contract - SuperSport - Cricket

Lance Klusener will continue as head coach of the Dolphins for the next two seasons, the KwaZulu Natal cricket franchise said on Thursday.

"The continuity of the process that has been put in place over the past four years is key to our success going forward and securing Lance Klusener and the coaching staff was essential to this," Dolphins CEO Jesse Chellan said in a statement.

"I look forward to the Sunfoil Dolphins dominating the South African domestic cricket arena over the next few years."

President of KwaZulu Natal Cricket Union Faeez Jaffar said the franchise would continue to back Klusener.

"The Dolphins will continue to perform under his guidance. The coming season is going to be a very tough one," he said.

Klusener and his team had already commenced their winter training at Kingsmead, in Durban, in preparation for the T20 Champions League in September.
Dolphins add to spin options - SuperSport - Cricket

The Sunfoil Dolphins have moved to bolster their spin-bowling stocks by adding Proteas legspinner Imran Tahir and former Chevrolet Knights offie Thandi Tshabalala to their squad, the KwaZulu-Natal franchise announced on Monday.

Tahir returns to the Dolphins after spending the last two seasons with the bizhub Highveld Lions while Tshabalala, who played his last match for the Knights in 2011, returns to franchise cricket after playing club cricket in Johannesburg.

The 29-year-old Tshabalala, who has four one-day international (ODI) caps for South Africa, will arrive in Durban on Monday and will have to undergo a medical before joining up with the Dolphins.

Tahir, despite playing for the Gauteng-based Lions for the last two years, has been based in Durban during that time and said that he was looking forward to spending some time with his young family.

“Family is important. I’ve been away a lot from my wife and kid. He is four months old and I’ve been away from him for three months, which is not fair on him,” Tahir told reporters.

“It’s nice to be back (with the Dolphins). I’m the kind of guy who is always hungry and every year is a new challenge for me,” he added.

The 35-year-old Tahir arguably has been the most dangerous spin bowler in South African domestic cricket over the last few years. During the 2010/11 first-class season, while playing for the Dolphins, he took an astonishing 42 wickets in just five matches.

He has taken to ODI cricket with aplomb and he has captured 32 wickets in 16 games at an average of 17.68.

However, he has struggled at test level and, during the recent 1-0 test series victory away in Sri Lanka he picked up just four wickets in two matches at an average of 84 while he averages 47.17 overall.

The likeable Tahir said that it was difficult to put his finger on why he had struggled so much in Sri Lanka but that he would continue to try to improve.

“I’m doing the same things in tests that I do in one-day cricket. I have to be honest. I didn’t bowl the way I wanted to but I gave 100 per cent. I’m just really happy and honoured that I was a part of the South Africa squad that won a test and one-day series in Sri Lanka.

“I’m working really hard and just trying to improve again...to find my feet at test level to justify myself,” he explained.

The Dolphins also announced that Sunfoil has signed a new two-year sponsorship deal with the franchise with an option of a third year.

The Dolphins were not prepared to divulge financial details of the sponsorship except to say that it is less than the current deal.

However, the new deal will be incentive based with the team to be well-rewarded if they can win a trophy with the incentives rising for each trophy won.

jan

State Vice-Captain
You take on the new #ProteaFire video, gents?

This is #ProteaFire - YouTube

Interested in views from South African especially because I cant see the alleged power of the vid. The guys act so unnaturally and with such wannabe toughness that its ridiculous imo.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ram Slam T20 starts Sunday.

squads released -

COBRAS
Batsmen: Levi, Puttick, van Zyl, Ramela, Ontong, Vilas (wk), Engelbrecht [Fortuin, Vallie & Malan pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Pollard, Kemp, Khan
Spinners: Linde [Piedt injured]
Seamers: Kleinveldt, Shezi, Paterson, Williams [B.Hendricks injured]

International duty: Amla, Duminy, Peterson, Philander, Steyn

WARRIORS
Batsmen: JJ Smuts, Kieswetter (wk), Ingram, Bailey, Jonker, Seyibokwe, Ackermann [White returning from injury & James Price pushing]
Spinners: Harmer
Seamers: Birch, Theron, Walters, Gqamane, Magala, Mbane

International duty: Parnell

KNIGHTS
Batsmen: Abrahams, Second (wk), Rosier, van Biljon, Bodibe, Pienaar [Cloete pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Russell
Spinners: Coetsee, Diseko
Seamers: Friend, du Preez, Siboto, van Schalkwyk, Coetzee [Dry & Olivier pushing]

International duty: R. Hendricks & Rossouw

DOLPHINS
Batsmen: M. van Wyk (wk), Delport, Chetty, Zondo, van Jaarsveld, Makhanya [Vandiar returning from injury & Smit pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Dwayne Bravo, Frylinck [Savage returning from injury & Phehlukwyo has school commitments]
Spinners: Subrayen, Maharaj
Seamers: Alexander, Dupavillon, Engelbrecht [Kirsten returning from injury]

International duty: Miller, McLaren, Tahir, Abbott

LIONS
Batsmen: Gayle, Cook, Petersen, McKenzie, Symes, Tsolekile (wk), Bavuma, van der Dussen [Conway pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Morris, Pretorius
Spinners: Leie
Seamers: Viljoen, Tsotsobe, Matshikwe

International duty: de Kock, Phangiso (injured), Rabada

TITANS
Batsmen: Rudolph, Davids, de Bruyn, Elgar, Mosehle (wk), van Buuren, Adams [Markram pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Sammy [A.Morkel injured]
Spinners: van der Merwe, Shamsi, von Berg
Seamers: Mbhalati, Richards, JP de Villiers, Dala

International duty: AB de Villiers, du Plessis, Behardien, Wiese, M.Morkel, de Lange

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
My player to watch from each team:

Sybrand Engelbrecht - has been terrific so far this season for the Cobras. Capable of building innings and scoring quickly in the middle order, best fieldsman in SA possibly and off-spinners to. Perfect limited overs package.

Colin Ingram - The rock in the batting order at the Warriors. Scoring runs in 4-day cricket now and always been prolific in the limited overs formats. Trying to force his way in the WC squad.

Gerhardt Abrahams - Where has this guy been ? A waiter in Kimberley that is where. Has this amazing last second flick of the wrists and likes to take the game to the bowler.

Daryn Dupavillon - The young quick has similar sort of build to Dale Steyn. Very wirey and charges in. Known for a good bouncer and a good Yorker. Be good see him have a go at the Wanderers.

Eddie Leie - All action leg-spinner. His arms and legs are everywhere in delivery and when he gets a wicket. Needs to stand up with reliable Phangiso not there.

Theunis de Bruyn - Future Protea written all over his forehead. Not sure I can describe him better than brutal-elegance, the oxymoron that is but he can score all around the wicket and when he strikes it, it stays hit, currently scoring a 100 every other knock this season from warm-ups to 4-day to 50-over.

SeamUp

International Coach
SuperSport's world cup season commentary team:

Pommie Mbangwa
Kepler Wessels
HD Ackerman
Mike Haysman
Shaun Pollock
Mark Boucher
Graeme Smith
Michael Holding
Ian Bishop

* After all the years involved with cricket and comm work, no Robin Jackman ? Must be a mistake.

New series called Hooked on Cricket (18 episodes) also will be aired when the 24-hour cricket channel pilots this Sunday. Cricket Stars of the past 2 decades chat WC 2015 and so on. Guys like Sachin, Warne, Hayden & SA boys Smith, Boucher, Kallis and Steyn.

Quaggas

State Captain
Looking forward to this. Exactly one nonSA-based player per team - was there some agreement (or limit) between franchises? Shame if Jackman's not there.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looking forward to this. Exactly one nonSA-based player per team - was there some agreement (or limit) between franchises? Shame if Jackman's not there.
Graeme Smith is organizing the competition and supposedly he did the negotiations for the 1 player per team and CSA covers the cost.

if they wanted a 2nd, the franchise would cover the cost. There was talk of KP and 1 or 2 others.

Overseas players is probably a good thing with 21 players away on international duty at the moment but with new quota rules it will limit selections unfortunately.

Last edited:

Quaggas

State Captain
Graeme Smith is organizing the competition and supposedly he did the negotiations for the 1 player per team and CSA covers the cost.

if they wanted a 2nd, the franchise would cover the cost. There was talk of KP and 1 or 2 others.

Overseas player is probably a good thing with 21 players away on international duty at the moment but with new quota rules it will limit selections unfortunately.
Ta. Overseas players count as "not disadvantaged" I assume?

jan

State Vice-Captain
Thanks for the T20 write-up SeamUp. I plan to go through the whole domestic season in Cricket Coach with my "Cobras" team and Im clueless about T20 cricket in general :)

The ABDV and Steyn #ProteaFire vids are good.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks for the T20 write-up SeamUp. I plan to go through the whole domestic season in Cricket Coach with my "Cobras" team and Im clueless about T20 cricket in general :)

The ABDV and Steyn #ProteaFire vids are good.
Test & 50-over still trumps it that is for sure. :happy:

Always exciting to see new talent mind. Been a bit this season.

Yeah, they not too bad. Not surprisingly it was Graeme Smith who started the whole 'Protea fire' symbolising for the team. What a man, what a captain, what an inspiration & what a player he was for so long.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ram Slam will be broadcast in India. Happy about it. Will be good to see some T20 cricket from SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ram Slam T20 starts Sunday.

squads released -

COBRAS
Batsmen: Levi, Puttick, van Zyl, Ramela, Ontong, Vilas (wk), Engelbrecht [Fortuin, Vallie & Malan pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Pollard, Kemp, Khan
Spinners: Linde [Piedt injured]
Seamers: Kleinveldt, Shezi, Paterson, Williams [B.Hendricks injured]

International duty: Amla, Duminy, Peterson, Philander, Steyn

WARRIORS
Batsmen: JJ Smuts, Kieswetter (wk), Ingram, Bailey, Jonker, Seyibokwe, Ackermann [White returning from injury & James Price pushing]
Spinners: Harmer
Seamers: Birch, Theron, Walters, Gqamane, Magala, Mbane

International duty: Parnell

KNIGHTS
Batsmen: Abrahams, Second (wk), Rosier, van Biljon, Bodibe, Pienaar [Cloete pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Russell
Spinners: Coetsee, Diseko
Seamers: Friend, du Preez, Siboto, van Schalkwyk, Coetzee [Dry & Olivier pushing]

International duty: R. Hendricks & Rossouw

DOLPHINS
Batsmen: M. van Wyk (wk), Delport, Chetty, Zondo, van Jaarsveld, Makhanya [Vandiar returning from injury & Smit pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Dwayne Bravo, Frylinck [Savage returning from injury & Phehlukwyo has school commitments]
Spinners: Subrayen, Maharaj
Seamers: Alexander, Dupavillon, Engelbrecht [Kirsten returning from injury]

International duty: Miller, McLaren, Tahir, Abbott

LIONS
Batsmen: Gayle, Cook, Petersen, McKenzie, Symes, Tsolekile (wk), Bavuma, van der Dussen [Conway pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Morris, Pretorius
Spinners: Leie
Seamers: Viljoen, Tsotsobe, Matshikwe

International duty: de Kock, Phangiso (injured), Rabada

TITANS
Batsmen: Rudolph, Davids, de Bruyn, Elgar, Mosehle (wk), van Buuren, Adams [Markram pushing]
Seamer all-rounders: Sammy [A.Morkel injured]
Spinners: van der Merwe, Shamsi, von Berg
Seamers: Mbhalati, Richards, JP de Villiers, Dala

International duty: AB de Villiers, du Plessis, Behardien, Wiese, M.Morkel, de Lange
van Zyl ,Kemp & Kleinveldt join the other injured Cobras duo so Ferisco Adams is called up as an extra seamer for tomorrow.

Rudolph was meant to play limited overs cricket for the Titans but it looks like he won't be as not in the squad for tomorrow again. Young all-rounder Corbin Bosch who bowled well in U19 WC Final has got his first Titans call-up to as Albie Morkel is injured and David Wiese is in Australia.

Otherwise the rest is the same.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ram Slam will be broadcast in India. Happy about it. Will be good to see some T20 cricket from SA.
Good to know. There was talk of England getting it last season too.

We get IPL, Big Bash & West Indian T20 comp over here on tv.

SeamUp

International Coach
Knights just walked all over the Warriors.

Great knock by Rosier. Saw him a couple of times as a schoolboy but lost his way a little. Very good knock coming in at number 5 and kept the urgency v the spinners and seamers.

Warriors have a lot of thinking to do. Of course they missing Davy Jacobs & Rusty Theron. They probably lacking a seaming all-rounder but I felt for Colin Ackermann coming in at 5 who is more of a timer and deflector and if Jonker is suited to a type of game it is T20. But the positive news is Kieswetter played well replacing a key player in Jacobs for them, Rusty is nearly fit.

Titans v Cobras next

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't wait to watch Theunis de Bruyn bat but the Titans win the toss and stick the Cobras in.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Well, Levi isnt doing bad with 81 from 33!

EDIT: got c&b Elgar while I was posting :D

EDIT2: Elgar takes 3 wickets in 7 balls!

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Well, Levi isnt doing bad with 81 from 33!

EDIT: got c&b Elgar while I was posting :D

EDIT2: Elgar takes 3 wickets in 7 balls!
Deano loves a wicket ! Does not let anyone forget each wicket he takes. :laugh: Certainly not Levi, they've known each other since u19 days.

Nearly got Pollard now, with a cunning dart down leg-side :laugh:

Last edited: