• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you pick Stuart Broad as a bowler alone?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If this Test continues in the same vein as the one before I wouldn't bother sending Broad out to bat tbh

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If it continues in the same vein as the last Test we won't need him to bowl in the 2nd innings either. /thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last night should also put paid to the idea that in the absence of Broad, England's attack is related to 6th grade Nohopenshire and therefore Broad the genius must be picked at all costs. India were abject and maybe Jordan would have been punished a bit harder by better bats but get a grip.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There seems to be a feeling that since Jordan is further away from being a good Test player that means that there's 'greater potential' or 'more to work with', which doesn't really make sense.

I'm hopeful of him coming through though. If he gets it together he'd be quite different to the rest of the attack which is always a good thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's such a good fielder, and a gun lower order bat. I really want him to improve as a bowler because it's a shame to waste those assets

We also persevered with Broad partly for similar reasons back in the day. His fielding isn't as good as Jordan's but he's athletic in the outfield especially when compared with the alternatives of his early days (I actually remember someone on CW making the point that Harmison wouldn't have taken one of the catches Broad did at Lord's in 09)

Top_Cat

Exactly. Whether he's Teat standard now is obviously debatable but you gain nothing by showing clear investment in a bloke by picking him in the squad at the start of a series then dropping him at the first sign of trouble which, might add, the ECB have not done. You've got to see it through and trust the anointed blokes to lift, especially if one of your guns drops out. It's a good Teat and will tell the selectors a lot about how he handles the pressure of incumbency.

Last edited:

Daemon

Exactly. Whether he's Teat standard now is obviously debatable but you gain nothing by showing clear investment in a bloke by picking him in the squad at the start of a series then dropping him at the first sign of trouble which, might add, the ECB have not done. You've got to see it through and trust the anointed blokes to lift, especially if one of your guns drops out. It's a good Teat and will tell the selectors a lot about how he handles the pressure of incumbency.
I don't really get this line of thinking. Just because you've picked him in the squad doesn't mean you have to keep playing him and hope he turns out alright. If he looks mediocre but you think he's got potential then by all means keep him around the set up but give that spot of his to someone who's more likely to contribute. I don't know enough about England's fringe bowlers to comment whether he should be playing or not, but the reasoning that you gave sounds odd to me.

Top_Cat

Nah you're taking it too literally. There's obviously more to it which we are never privy to like what noises he's making at training, what he's sending down in the nets, etc. if the bloke is clearly struggling, of course you don't pick him. It's a judgement call.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think if he sorts his run up and action out and gets more accurate and consistent he could become a good test bowler. But personally I think Finn and Stokes have greater potential and Plunkett is better right now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah you're taking it too literally. There's obviously more to it which we are never privy to like what noises he's making at training, what he's sending down in the nets, etc. if the bloke is clearly struggling, of course you don't pick him. It's a judgement call.
I think a school of thought on CW can often be that each Test should see the raw best possible XI picked. But IMO that can lead to situations like Australia/England in recent times where all of a sudden you've a stack of guys lacking in experience. Youth can be damaged by ****ing around with them.

Top_Cat

Nah, selection is simple.

1. Pick 6 bats and 4 bowlers

2. Add their averages to an Excel spreadsheet

4. Push the 'Select in XI' button.

5. Select brand of victory champers

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, selection is simple.

1. Pick 6 bats and 4 bowlers

2. Add their averages to an Excel spreadsheet

4. Push the 'Select in XI' button.

5. Select brand of victory champers
But how do you pick a keeper?!

Top_Cat

Ah ****. Who's zacked the bowling the most this year?

Last edited: