• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

cnerd123

likes this
I'm curious about the consistency in testing between pace and spin bowlers too. Are the sensors placed in the same places? How do they decide which frame to use? How do they assess if a fast bowler is bowling like match conditions - only their speed? What about RPM? That Steyn effort ball where he has a kink in his arm also shows him snapping his wrist a bit more...do they look for stuff like that?

Al Amin looks really ugly tbh. Surprised he passed.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan Cricket News: Ajmal targets World Cup return | ESPN Cricinfo

"The frustrating thing is that I was tested in 2009, tested again earlier this year and have had private tests on my bowling action recently. Every single one of those tests has produced different results," he said. "There is just no consistency at all in these tests and the subsequent reports. If there was consistency then I would know where I stand. I work on rectifying one issue and then in the next report something different is pointed out to me."

Ajmal went on to say that the 15-degree limit was too strict on bowlers, particularly under the ICC's new testing protocol.

"I think 99% of bowlers these days would fail the 15 degree test for at least one or more of their deliveries," he said. "I also think that the technology being used in match situations to assess bowling actions is too strict. I think they should use the normal television cameras to assess our bowling actions, but instead what is being used are cameras that can virtually see the blood running though our bodies."
Fair points but that last bit is funny

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woah, back up buddy, we all know how are eyes aren't a good indicator of these things at all. I'm reasonably sure 1000s of posts have been made on the subject.

Honestly, I really fail to see how anyone can have a problem with someone actually passing the Test, and that proves anything about Ajmal's test.
Gawd this post is annoying me now, it's nice to get likes but each time it happens I just see I said "are" instead of "our", edit it mods, surely it's within your powers.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah this is not Ajmal or Sena but for bowlers like Gazi whom have very respectable in action, and so is Hafeez. If eyes cannot judge actions then test them all or do it on random people not only on a selected cohort.
eyes cannot judge exactly how dodgy a dodgy action is, but eyes CAN determine one that is clean. If you don't bend your arm you don't need to get tested.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
no. There is no evidence to suggest it.
What makes an action look dodgy is a bending of the arm, whether it turns out if they're actually chucking or not is a different matter and can only be determined through testing. If you don't bend your arm then your action will look clean and there's literally no possible way for you to be chucking because your arm is visibly straight throughout it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well unless you're part of the fantastic 4 straightening requires a kink at your elbow.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Isn't it straightening of the arm and not bending that is chucking?
yes, but if it doesn't bend it can't straighten provided space-time is flat between the ends of the arm. I'm not saying all players who bend their arms chuck, just that all players who don't have visibly dodgy actions can't possibly be chucking therefore it's a waste of time to test them contrary to what Migara believes.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they ought to do one test on a variety of 'clean' actions as a control to ensure the 15 degree mark holds up with this new testing technology though

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I agree. Given the testing procedures aren't the same as they were back when they came up with the 15 degree straightening limit; I reckon they should do some more tests to ensure it is still valid.

Keep on mind tho that Al Amin passed his test and his action is filthy.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
So it might even be too high, or it needs to be adjusted depending on what type of bowler you are

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure they have done these tests though. They don't need international high profile cricketers to be the controls. The whole thing just needs transparency imo.

Blocky

Banned
Why not clarify it and simply state that the arm cannot be bent during the delivery of the ball and that any straightening of a bent arm will be considered an illegal delivery...

Oh, that's right, because then we have to invalidate 800 test wickets from the worlds leading wicket taker.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not clarify it and simply state that the arm cannot be bent during the delivery of the ball and that any straightening of a bent arm will be considered an illegal delivery...

Oh, that's right, because then we have to invalidate 800 test wickets from the worlds leading wicket taker.
Pretty unfair on bowlers who are entirely incapable of straightening their arms completely due to a defect at birth or after an accident as in Ajmal's case

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure they have done these tests though. They don't need international high profile cricketers to be the controls. The whole thing just needs transparency imo.
Would have been great if they told us that

cnerd123

likes this

...you're joking right?