• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It takes a lot longer than a month to change 5 years of muscle memory, I hope neither of them return for a year at least.
Honestly think you're overstating the adjustment that needs to be made, particularly in Senanayake's case given he mainly just bowls regular offspin with a few finger flicked variations

cnerd123

likes this
Honestly think you're overstating the adjustment that needs to be made, particularly in Senanayake's case given he mainly just bowls regular offspin with a few finger flicked variations
Nah, even a minor adjustment will take time to get used to. If anything it's harder. Unlike altering a runup or the entire action, just keeping a straighter arm is something could easily slip their mind. They have to work hard not just to get their bowling back to international level with the adjustment, but to make sure they don't slip back into bad habits too. That means bowling long spells over an intense schedule while constantly being monitored.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It takes a lot longer than a month to change 5 years of muscle memory, I hope neither of them return for a year at least.
IMO the more pressing issue is why the boards feel that these guys should be in contention for national selection after a change in their action.

They're effectively a completely different bowler. It should take them at least 2 successful seasons in first class cricket before they're deemed worthy.

Shane Shillingford is the perfect example.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, even a minor adjustment will take time to get used to. If anything it's harder. Unlike altering a runup or the entire action, just keeping a straighter arm is something could easily slip their mind. They have to work hard not just to get their bowling back to international level with the adjustment, but to make sure they don't slip back into bad habits too. That means bowling long spells over an intense schedule while constantly being monitored.
You know that's what happens during the remedial process don't you?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It obviously varies from case to case but in general bad habits are not easy to correct. Consciously changing them during a practice session is one thing, maintaining it for 5 days of a test match is another.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The remedial process that players go through (take a look at Ajmal for example) is very strenuous, possibly more so than a test match in terms of repeating the same thing over and over day after day from what I've read

WindieWeathers

International Regular
IMO the more pressing issue is why the boards feel that these guys should be in contention for national selection after a change in their action.

They're effectively a completely different bowler. It should take them at least 2 successful seasons in first class cricket before they're deemed worthy.

Shane Shillingford is the perfect example.
Yep..the Shilly we saw in the NZ series was utterly useless tbh and played a big role in why we lost. The pakistan fans seem very excited on PP about Ajmal's "new action" but they are just setting themselves up for disappointment imo because it's very unlikely that he will be the same bowler at this late stage of his career. For a start the pressure will be much bigger than he's ever been used to because he'll be desperate to not get called again and in turn that danger will be hanging over his head everytime he goes up to bowl.

Also i very much doubt the doosra will still be in his arsenal either..so unless he's got Swann like flight to his game he's likely to go the same way as Shilly i think.

Luckily with Narine he's only 26 so he's got plenty of time on his side PLUS..and it's big plus, the guy actually has TWO actions in his locker already...early in his career in his second Test match HERE you can see with the Taylor wicket how he jogs up dangling the ball in the air and then delivers..whereas with his second action HERE in his last test match there's no dangling the ball and it's more of a straight forward delivery with more follow through in the shoulder. So we're talking about a man who actually has experience of tweeking his action in the last ten months or so...so that in itself gives me hope that Narine won't have too many problems adapting... especially if he's around 18 degrees or something, that should be very simple for him to address and if anything it might inspire him to enhance his bowling by using more flight than he's been used to in the past.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on what I've seen of the current series, Pakistan cricket needs remedial action.

smash84

The Tiger King
The above link has a preview of Ajmal's remodeled action. Saqlain thinks its good enough and it looks quite improved in these 3, 4 deliveries but Ajmal is definitely not bowling at full tilt.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Time to dig up the thread as Hafeez being called.

Al Amin despite looking umpteen times ugly than Sohag Gazi is deemed legal. Still waiting to see a single fast bowler getting reported.

With icc not releasing the methodology there is more and more suspicion that the measurements done on spinners or pacers or either is wrong.

Daemon

Time to dig up the thread as Hafeez being called.

Al Amin despite looking umpteen times ugly than Sohag Gazi is deemed legal. Still waiting to see a single fast bowler getting reported.

With icc not releasing the methodology there is more and more suspicion that the measurements done on spinners or pacers or either is wrong.
Al-Amin is a fast bowler who was reported..

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly and he was found legal while all the spinners failed. Al Amin's action looks much worse than Gazi who was banned.

OverratedSanity

I was pretty surprised Al Amin got cleared too. Haven't watched him bowl too much, but the few videos I've seen of his action look absolutely diabolical.

I have my doubts about the criteria used by the testers for fast bowlers, because it's inherently more difficult to not just pick up the kink in the action with the naked eye, but also I don't think their deliveries can be distinguished from one another as easily as the spinners. For a spinner, it's easier to test a particular delivery, say a doosra bowled at 80mph with 2300 rpm. How do you do something similar for the fast bowlers to ensure it's being delivered the same way he does in a match? What parameters do they use? A bit of transparency from the ICC would help a great deal.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly and he was found legal while all the spinners failed. Al Amin's action looks much worse than Gazi who was banned.
Woah, back up buddy, we all know how are eyes aren't a good indicator of these things at all. I'm reasonably sure 1000s of posts have been made on the subject.

Honestly, I really fail to see how anyone can have a problem with someone actually passing the Test, and that proves anything about Ajmal's test.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah this is not Ajmal or Sena but for bowlers like Gazi whom have very respectable in action, and so is Hafeez. If eyes cannot judge actions then test them all or do it on random people not only on a selected cohort.