• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Real life mirroring CW discussion

Judge Thokozile Masipa has the option of forgoing a murder conviction in favor of a lesser charge of culpable homicide, meaning he acted in what he thought was self-defense, but was still negligent in shooting Steenkamp.
:happy:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but tbf some of the seamers who appear to have perfect actions to the naked eye may actually be flexing up to 50 so

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Glenn McGrath -- biggest chucker of the lot. And don't get me started on that Sarwan bloke -- no way is his arm straight!

watson

Banned
Here is some old footage of Lillee and his contemporaries in a competition to see who is the fastest. The side-on slow motion footage gives a reasonable indication of whether they are chucking or not. Lillee is at the 4 minute mark.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but tbf some of the seamers who appear to have perfect actions to the naked eye may actually be flexing up to 50 so
tbf this only gives Migara's argument more merit. I doubt many of us expected Ajmal to be that bad, I think my worst case scenario guess would've been 25 degrees or so, not ****ing 40. It shows that guys with clean looking actions may be closer to the limit than we think.

It's crazy how he passed in '09. Hopefully it's just the different testing procedures and the disregard to his elbow injury rather than his action slowly deteriorating.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha.....love Richie's assessment of Imran at the beginning of Imran's career. And 30 years later Imran makes Richie's All Time XI.

smash84

The Tiger King
So the rumours I'd read elsewhere are true, Ajmal averaged 40 degrees :-O
Oh ****....I knew his action looked bad (and initially cleared by the ICC) but 40 degrees? That is almost 3 times the allowable limit. I never thought it could be this bad

Are they sure none of the others are flexible more than 15 degrees?

And yeah, no remedial work is gonna fix that. Even if it does there is no way Ajmal can bowl at the international level with that kind of tweaking to his action

grecian

tbf this only gives Migara's argument more merit. I doubt many of us expected Ajmal to be that bad, I think my worst case scenario guess would've been 25 degrees or so, not ****ing 40. It shows that guys with clean looking actions may be closer to the limit than we think.

It's crazy how he passed in '09. Hopefully it's just the different testing procedures and the disregard to his elbow injury rather than his action slowly deteriorating.
Nah he's looked bad all the way along, it's only the new way of looking at things, which has been promoted by the likes of Migara, that makes us wonder how bad it really looks. It's always been appalling. Proven completly now. The 2009 Testing needs to be wondered whether that was the kosher one now. Whatever the change this is hugely conclusive. I think the entire "it maybe down to Work-rate and injury" was just trying to downplay how awful the Testing was before. Why didn't they announce the amount right away, they want those previous Tests buried.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm just straight up not buying that <15 degrees and ~40 degrees can look essentially the same.

I actually regard this as a good thing though as it suggests the previous testing methods were flawed, and hence my concerns about needing to test every bowler every 20 seconds henceforth just in case their actions have deteriorated without visually appearing to are largely alleviated.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah he's looked bad all the way along, it's only the new way of looking at things, which has been promoted by the likes of Migara, that makes us wonder how bad it really looks. It's always been appalling. Proven completly now. The 2009 Testing needs to be wondered whether that was the kosher one now. Whatever the change this is hugely conclusive. I think the entire "it maybe down to Work-rate and injury" was just trying to downplay how awful the Testing was before. Why didn't they announce the amount right away, they want those previous Tests buried.
There is no way there is that much discrepancy between the testing methods in that time, the problem is the lack of monitoring and the attitude that being cleared once possibly relaxes the attitude towards someone's action as well as natural deterioration that might occur due to workload or pressure bowling or simply falling into bad habits without the pressure of scrutiny having been cleared once.

Also not really getting why people think successful remedial work is out of the question, 20 degrees might seem like a lot but I honestly don't think it would be that difficult to correct. He might not be quite as potent upon his potential return however.

grecian

There is no way there is that much discrepancy between the testing methods in that time, the problem is the lack of monitoring and the attitude that being cleared once possibly relaxes the attitude towards someone's action as well as natural deterioration that might occur due to workload or pressure bowling or simply falling into bad habits without the pressure of scrutiny having been cleared once.

Also not really getting why people think successful remedial work is out of the question, 20 degrees might seem like a lot but I honestly don't think it would be that difficult to correct. He might not be quite as potent upon his potential return however.
BIB Disagree. We've been told to accept scientific evidence for ages, now we disregard it do we?

"5 degrees seems utterly massive to me.

harsh.ag

Fair point Grecian. But I don't think most (or any) of us could have predicted the 40 degree straightening with the naked eyes.

It is probably not ridiculous to suggest that we should test a few randomly picked good bowlers with this new system and see what it throws up. Maybe the 15 degrees line will be obliterated.

duffer

Fair point Grecian. But I don't think most (or any) of us could have predicted the 40 degree straightening with the naked eyes.

It is probably not ridiculous to suggest that we should test a few randomly picked good bowlers with this new system and see what it throws up. Maybe the 15 degrees line will be obliterated.
Yep, a bit like random drug testing. I'd support it given what we just found out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year