• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
it applies only to Sarwan. All others extend their elbows and some hyperextend.
One murky quote saying McGrath and Pollock's actions were found to extend up to 13 degrees does not equate to blatant chucking being possible without the naked eye getting suspicious.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
cbf digging it up properly but if iirc it said something to the effect that people with classical actions such as Pollock and McGrath were found to be extending up to 12 degrees, no details or individual figures though

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasn't the recommendation to set the mark at 15 degree because if they wanted to set it at 10 then even people like McG and Pollock were going over the 10 degree limit?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
One murky quote saying McGrath and Pollock's actions were found to extend up to 13 degrees does not equate to blatant chucking being possible without the naked eye getting suspicious.
well on the subject of blatant chucking you are correct. I am concerned about marginal cases say about 17-20.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
well on the subject of blatant chucking you are correct. I am concerned about marginal cases say about 17-20.
Do you think it's appropriate use of ICC money to test every single player who bowls in international cricket, even if they bowl very sparingly and have extremely clean-looking actions? Keep in mind that the testing process is expensive and we still have many boards struggling to pay their players a competitive wage (or have professional contracts at all in some cases) or set up HawkEye for UDRS in internationals.

I think the idea of testing everyone is fine in theory; I just think cricket has much bigger problems more worthy of ICC investment than proving beyond all doubt that, for example, Scottish second choice wicket keeper Marc Petrie isn't going to straighten his arm more than 15 degrees in the extremely unlikely event that he has a trundle in an international.

I think testing more bowlers who look dubious, as has been happening of late, is a good idea, but testing bowlers with actions that look fine just seems PC waste of money to me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What Migara is concerned about is the effort ball.

On the doosra - it's said to be impossible to bowl without some degree of straightening. I would guess that the outswinger is also impossible to bowl without some degree too.

You could have a case where Steyn's big hooping reversing delivery involves more straightening than his stock ball. So I do think Migara is correct to point out where there should be consistency.

DriveClub

International Regular
Migara is a poor man's burgey, both of them are intolerable ****s, coming from a **** like me that's a real low.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think it's appropriate use of ICC money to test every single player who bowls in international cricket, even if they bowl very sparingly and have extremely clean-looking actions? Keep in mind that the testing process is expensive and we still have many boards struggling to pay their players a competitive wage (or have professional contracts at all in some cases) or set up HawkEye for UDRS in internationals.

I think the idea of testing everyone is fine in theory; I just think cricket has much bigger problems more worthy of ICC investment than proving beyond all doubt that, for example, Scottish second choice wicket keeper Marc Petrie isn't going to straighten his arm more than 15 degrees in the extremely unlikely event that he has a trundle in an international.

I think testing more bowlers who look dubious, as has been happening of late, is a good idea, but testing bowlers with actions that look fine just seems PC waste of money to me.
So don't test every bowler, test a few (maybe 10 or so), get Steyn to bowl outswingers and others to bowl bouncers or whatever like they do in matches and see what you get, if the results confirm the suspicions of Migara then you test a few more and if the problem remains look at adjusting the rule again or taking some other course of action.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Migara is a poor man's burgey, both of them are intolerable ****s, coming from a **** like me that's a real low.
You can't be that much of a ****, I had no idea you existed until I read this post.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is tremendous blow. I confess being sympathetic to spin bowlers who bring more variety and skill into the game, even if the actions looked dodgy. So I feel bad for Ajmal.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is tremendous blow. I confess being sympathetic to spin bowlers who bring more variety and skill into the game, even if the actions looked dodgy. So I feel bad for Ajmal.
Why do you feel bad for him now that it's proven he's a chucker? Feel bad for all those batsmen he got out.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you feel bad for him now that it's proven he's a chucker? Feel bad for all those batsmen he got out.
His high flying career got ruined. And being found a chucker is different from being found a fixer. It's not exactly cheating and disqualification is a matter of conventions. Won't keep arguing this point though, it's just my view that may not have many takers.