• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell's Latest Whinge

Flem274*

123/5
Your morning dribble

Ian Chappell: Poor basics have brought down the standard of cricket | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

The wildly fluctuating series between India and England reflects Test cricket in the last decade.
No it doesn't. In 2004 Australia were still top dog.
Unfortunately, parity has come about because the standard of the better sides has slipped a little rather than it being a case of the lesser teams raising the bar.
And how does he go about proving this?
Batting survival techniques have deteriorated. It's power-hitting that has dramatically improved. And while some amazing catches and saves are enacted near the boundary, in the crucial area of the close cordon, chances are too often spilt because simple but critical footwork is lacking. The pursuit of the spectacular has outstripped the desire to master basics.
Erm...South Africa numerous times, McCullum and Watling, lots of others? Have you ever seen Pujara, Misbah and Sangakkara bat?
Much of the pre-game routines are fairy-floss rather than the meat and potatoes that help win cricket matches. One of my main concerns when the idea of international coaches was first mooted was that decisions would be taken to justify a large contract rather than be in the best interests of the player. It seems that many coaches want to leave a monument behind, and consequently there are numerous theories in existence replacing good old-fashioned tried and tested techniques.
Ian Chappell hates coaches. The sky is blue. Ian Chappell doesn't back his point up with anything. Grass is green. Excellent captain and batsman but rapidly becoming a self parody of his analysis.

Cbf with the rest. You lot can read. Do you agree with Chappell or are you in my camp?

Blocky

Banned
You've got to remember for Chappell - test cricket is basically India, Australia and England - that's how he views test cricket. He wouldn't have a clue who is in the current New Zealand line up, he probably thinks Allan Donald still plays for South Africa. He won't have watched the Sri Lankan and Pakistan down to the wire series that combined some brilliant patient test innings ( Younis, Sanga ) - as well as some beautiful bowling (Ajmal late in the innings, Herath) - he'd have watched India play England, see the absolute capitulation and messy fielding and gone "Meh.. back in my day we'd have caned these bunnies"

I think ultimately though, he's right if you look at England and India. Their selection policies are utterly stupid, the level of cricket being played by them is worse and the only thing you can say about England's resurgence is that it's probably short lived the moment they come up against another fiery attack.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think England have found some genuine test cricketers in Ali and Root and they've been relatively impressive in the last two tests but yeah, the standard of cricket has been extremely poor. Particularly the Indian fielding.

The batting, captaincy, spin bowling and umpiring (cheers DRS) does not compare favourably with what's just occurred in SL, but then we don't expect Chappell to know about non Big 3, do we.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And yeah there's too many Faf, Amla, ABDV, Clarke, Sanga, Mathews, Williamson, Root, Bell, Taylor innings to even bother listing

Blocky

Banned
I think England have found some genuine test cricketers in Ali and Root and they've been relatively impressive in the last two tests but yeah, the standard of cricket has been extremely poor. Particularly the Indian fielding.

The batting, captaincy, spin bowling and umpiring (cheers DRS) does not compare favourably with what's just occurred in SL, but then we don't expect Chappell to know about non Big 3, do we.
Root,yes. Ali - let's see how he goes when he's facing some real venom.

At the moment England rely on Broad and Anderson turning up, catching fire and destroying the opposition. The moment there is resistance, they've looked clueless in the field and don't have any other option to turn to. The bowling of Ali has been laughable, because the dismissals he's getting are pure batting error. If I had his luck, I'd have made the World XI side in 2005/2006.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

At the moment England rely on Broad and Anderson turning up, catching fire and destroying the opposition. The moment there is resistance, they've looked clueless in the field and don't have any other option to turn to. The bowling of Ali has been laughable, because the dismissals he's getting are pure batting error. If I had his luck, I'd have made the World XI side in 2005/2006.
Nonsense, the 6 he got at Southampton were mostly good dismissals. In fact I'd question you've watched him at all, that post much more laughable than anything Moeen has bowled. He gets spin, drift and bounce. Those things will get wickets. His problem is accuracy, and bowling too many bad balls.

Got Sanga out for his first two wickets in Test cricket, and he's the best since Bradman apparently.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well I disagree about Ali. I think his batting looks good. Not great - most batsmen are going to fail when they face "real venom", but certainly test standard. Could probably say the same about his bowling. But yeah, we'll see.

I really wish England would play teams like Bangladesh, Pakistan and the West Indies more. There's just not enough variety even amongst the top teams to know where they really stand.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Much of the pre-game routines are fairy-floss rather than the meat and potatoes that help win cricket matches.
Does this actually mean anything? Or is it a case of including some vague allusion to 'manliness' just to complete the bull**** bingo

91Jmay

International Coach
Well I disagree about Ali. I think his batting looks good. Not great - most batsmen are going to fail when they face "real venom", but certainly test standard. Could probably say the same about his bowling. But yeah, we'll see.

I really wish England would play teams like Bangladesh, Pakistan and the West Indies more. There's just not enough variety even amongst the top teams to know where they really stand.
Ironic as that was the thing we used to get slated for in the early 2000s. Windies away should be a good test of Moeen, will need to take wickets on helpful pitches.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular

8709486.jpg

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Does this actually mean anything? Or is it a case of including some vague allusion to 'manliness' just to complete the bull**** bingo
Much of the pre-game routines lack substance rather than the textbook methods that help win cricket matches.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The bowling of Ali has been laughable, because the dismissals he's getting are pure batting error. If I had his luck, I'd have made the World XI side in 2005/2006.
Can you just fess up to this being an outright troll post, cos it looks like you may have been serious........

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah :laugh:

The role of the spinner is to induce and then capatalise on batsmen's errors in these conditions, and what's more he's genuinely beaten batsman with good bowling too, Sanga/Thirimanne at Headingley comes to mind

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm just sick of people thinking Ali is actually a great spinner, wait until he's played 20 tests.
Is this another example of a poster exaggerating their opinion re dislike of a player to even up/balance the cricketing world because there are other people who he thinks overrates a player?

Seems it. Poisons debate.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Is this another example of a poster exaggerating their opinion re dislike of a player to even up/balance the cricketing world because there are other people who he thinks overrates a player?

Seems it. Poisons debate.
No, this is a case of correctly assessing a guy who has played only six tests, taken over half of his wickets in the last two tests against what has been the most pathetic batting performance I've seen from India, also happens to have a first class average of 38 with the ball in a competition where Jeetan Patel is a potent strike weapon and generally averages below 25 every year.