• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would Moeen Ali bat in your world XI?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have him opening the batting, as with all due respect to his bowling, he's going to need a new role after he's played Australia next summer

Stace

First Class Debutant
Smith > Shakib as a pure batsman, by quite some distance.
If your looking at it as a batsman who can also hold an end up with the ball then Root is the man, his economy is 2.64 whereas Smith is 3.84,, Root averages 46.55 with the bat compared to 40.02 for Smith.

Root > Smith

DriveClub

International Regular
Smith > Root, Smith one of the better players of spin so will wait until Root tours subcontinent. From what I've seen so far Root is a terrible player of spin, footwork is appalling.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Crucially, Moeen Ali has more vowels than consonants in both his first and second names. Unique among England players.

Accordingly, he opens the batting and bowling, and keeps wicket between spells.

Stace

First Class Debutant
He started his ODI career in India and equalled the record for consecutive scores over 30+. He played 1 test and did well, Kohli was impressed, said he was very talented.
Root > Smith.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If your looking at it as a batsman who can also hold an end up with the ball then Root is the man, his economy is 2.64 whereas Smith is 3.84,, Root averages 46.55 with the bat compared to 40.02 for Smith.

Root > Smith
Comparing a relatively attacking part-time leggie with a dart-throwing occasional offie on the grounds of 'holding an end up' isn't exactly fair. I can counter with Smith's SR > Root's (I don't actually know if it does, but it seems a fair assumption because I cbf checking Cricinfo).

Especially since my post said "as a pure batsman", as in their bowling would be completely irrelevant at a hypothetical higher level. No Ian Bells for TPC to troll there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he has no doubt been playing very well, but not World team quality yet. More proven players ahead of him at the moment, he is also riding the captaincy wave which can happen right at the start, I'd be shocked if he maintains a career average above 50. Would expect it to be around 48 most the time.
Really? It was mid-forties before this year, his approach looks more mature and his strokeplay more assured, has also been more of a matter of converting scores rather than throwing it away than simply a case of good form too, looks to have the quality of the 50+ average player. I wouldn't have in a world XI just yet either though

Stace

First Class Debutant
Comparing a relatively attacking part-time leggie with a dart-throwing occasional offie on the grounds of 'holding an end up' isn't exactly fair. I can counter with Smith's SR > Root's (I don't actually know if it does, but it seems a fair assumption because I cbf checking Cricinfo).

Especially since my post said "as a pure batsman", as in their bowling would be completely irrelevant at a hypothetical higher level. No Ian Bells for TPC to troll there.
Actually comparing there SR by the position they have played in most and look settled in (both no.5) Root's is higher.
I do like Smith and its going to be interesting to see how they do in the future.

watson

Banned
England seem desperate for a frontline spinner at the minute so Moeen should perfect his bowling (which is actually not too bad - 22 wickets at 28, SR of 48) and drop down to seven or eight in the order.

From what I've seen of his batting technique against short-pitched-bowling any self respecting Aussie quick like Johnson or Pattinson would simply bounce him out of an Ashes series. England can't afford their No.6 batsman averaging a dozen runs or so against Clarke's team come next July.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Ahh yeh, I see, my bad, I kept reading about as a pure bat and got crossed wires, yeh i'm sure Smith's bowling SR is higher.
Edit- I mean lower.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is obviously not a serious thread but amazingly enough I don't think he's that far away. We really lack quality allrounders in world cricket at the moment to the point of the options being to play Shakib or run with Warner as the fifth bowler. If he can prove to be better than Shakib, he's basically got himself in the extended squad and may be in the side depending on balance/conditions. It's mad but it's true.

Alternatively, kill two birds with one stone and let Watson take over the troublesome second opener and fifth bowler positions. :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
If you really want an allrounder in the team then with Shakib out surely it's Watson at six or seven?

Behind him you have Mathews who is the best batsman by far but an allrounder in name only until he sorts his wickets column out, Jadeja, and then the inexperienced guys like Moeen, Neesham, Anderson etc

But really you'd have to be determined to have an allrounder in the team for even Twatto to make it.

Blocky

Banned
It's pretty funny that Moeen Ali is absolute **** as a spin bowler, but ripping apart the Indians who are supposed to be the best at playing spin.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, pick your 6 best batsmen (and get some overs out of Michael Clarke if poss and maybe Warner) with Watling at 7.

I'd still back a 4-man attack of

Steyn
Johnson
Southee/Harris
Ajmal/Herath

to get 20 wickets