• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Herath

The better bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So where is the OP debate at? Previous doubters have a good chance to make a man of themselves here
Well, I voted for Ajmal during the first test. Ajmal's really good too, you know. Obviously Herath won this series, but changing opinions at the drop of a hat not the best of things IMO. If this continues for a little while longer, I may tip my hat.

But I must say, skills wise, Herath is right up there. Subtle variations, and so much patience.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I voted for Ajmal during the first test. Ajmal's really good too, you know. Obviously Herath won this series, but changing opinions at the drop of a hat not the best of things IMO. If this continues for a little while longer, I may tip my hat.

But I must say, skills wise, Herath is right up there. Subtle variations, and so much patience.
Well I'm just enjoying myself a bit at the moment (not that this is the first time Herath has outperformed Ajmal in a SL-Pak series) but yeah I love Ajmal, absolute champion, He's almost even with Herath in my opinion. However this series proved something, I read some comments in this thread earlier about how people would only choose Herath over Ajmal when there was almost no turn in the pitch to speak of. Well this series we saw pitches that weren't taking ridiculous amounts of turn, but mainly slow turn, yet Herath came out on top, that's because Ajmal probably bowls a little too quickly for those types of pitches, he slides the ball on more while Herath bowls a little slower and gets the ball to grip, it makes Ajmal a more frightening prospect on bunsens but Herath's method proved more successful on these kinds of pitches, and I think that is significant

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, for spinners who naturally spin it away, the killer ball is the straighter one for the lbw/bowled. Herath's arm ball has benefitted from drs, certainly.
On the contrary I would say, off spinners stock ball, cannot be kicked now as it used to be. The number of off breaks bowled in a spell by an offie is far greater than straighter bowled by a leggie / sla.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think DRS would have made much of a difference for Warne. Certainly for bowlers like Herath, Swann, Vettori etc I think it's a great thing that umpires finally have the confidence to give those front foot LBWs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Uh, mods, you see my hand slipped while voting on this poll. Meant to click on Herath. Honest.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I probably would've gone with Ajmal when the thread started by I think Herath had overtaken him after the last series anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think DRS would have made much of a difference for Warne. Certainly for bowlers like Herath, Swann, Vettori etc I think it's a great thing that umpires finally have the confidence to give those front foot LBWs.
Nah, he got a ****load of LBWs late on in his career from his straight ball and there's no reason why DRS wouldn't have gotten him a ****load more.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Herath quite comfortably the best spinner in the world now.

It would be nice if we knew at what point since 2009 Ajmal's action became illegal, so we could just compare 'legal' Ajmal with Herath. But that's an impossible task, so might as well put at apostrophe over the last 5 years and hand the award to Herath.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, he got a ****load of LBWs late on in his career from his straight ball and there's no reason why DRS wouldn't have gotten him a ****load more.
IIRC he missed out on a few wickets in 05 with the umpires not picking his straight ball.