• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Herath

The better bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People keep saying that Ajmal is more dangerous but it just doesn't stack up.

The reality is that a bowler who forces a batsman to play every ball is just as dangerous as someone who might bowl a couple more unplayable deliveries every hundred balls.

Herath bowls some absolute grenades but also has the ability to work over good batsmen. Misbah and Younis aren't the type of batsmen who just miss straight deliveries.
The spin bowling equivalent of a Wasim-McGrath debate?? :D

91Jmay

International Coach
I was staunchly Ajmal, but Herath is a great, great bowler. Was skeptical of him, but cannot deny it anymore.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Ajmal is banned in a few days after the inspection, this poll is going to look really stupid.

watson

Banned
If Ajmal is banned in a few days after the inspection, this poll is going to look really stupid.
He won't be. But I'd lay good money on his Doosra being banned.

Therefore, we will be probably need to revisit this thread in a years or so to see how a Doosra-less Ajmal has faired taking wickets. I suspect not very well.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
He won't be. But I'd lay good money on his Doosra being banned.

Therefore, we will be probably need to revisit this thread in a years or so to see how a Doosra-less Ajmal has faired taking wickets. I suspect not very well.
They won't ban his doosra, they've tested it before and he passed within the limits. He'll pass through this absolutely fine, his action looks a lot more fluid than say Williamson.

watson

Banned
They won't ban his doosra, they've tested it before and he passed within the limits. He'll pass through this absolutely fine, his action looks a lot more fluid than say Williamson.
Fair enough. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ajmal is better IMO but Herath is a fantastic bowler. It'd be interesting if Swann was still playing where he would fit into this.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Ajmal is better IMO but Herath is a fantastic bowler. It'd be interesting if Swann was still playing where he would fit into this.
Once the other two finish their careers it will be Swan by a wee bit. All three phenomenal bowlers, and if their careers didn't follow that of warne and murali would rank amongst the likes of tayfield and underwood.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Once the other two finish their careers it will be Swan by a wee bit. All three phenomenal bowlers, and if their careers didn't follow that of warne and murali would rank amongst the likes of tayfield and underwood.
Agreed. Following Warne and Murali is tough on them, particularly Herath, who has directly followed Murali for Sri Lanka. Interesting that they all started their international careers late. Ajmal didn't debut until he was 31, Swann was 29 and Herath, although starting much earlier, has only been a regular since he was in his 30s too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What does it matter if they followed Murali and Warne? If you think they're as good as Underwood and Tayfield, rank them up there with them.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. Following Warne and Murali is tough on them, particularly Herath, who has directly followed Murali for Sri Lanka. Interesting that they all started their international careers late. Ajmal didn't debut until he was 31, Swann was 29 and Herath, although starting much earlier, has only been a regular since he was in his 30s too.
Not to mention to be compared with Kumble, Saqlain, Harbhajan and Mushraq Ahmed.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
What does it matter if they followed Murali and Warne? If you think they're as good as Underwood and Tayfield, rank them up there with them.
Because while i certainly rank him up there (this ffs in 20 years time people will look back, compare his record to Murali and Warne, and wonder what the fuss was about. Sure bowlers in other generations were up against the likes of O'Reilly, but the gulf between the records of our great spin bowlers today is just so much greater than in the past, which takes away from just how good these guys are.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ajmal's career to date:

34 Matches 174 wickets @ 27.80, with 10 5WH, 4 10 WM

Herath in the same period (ie) since Murali retired:

34 Matches 177 wickets @ 26.57, with 16 5WH, 3 10 WM

viriya

International Captain
First 9-fer by a left arm bowler in test cricket..

I think it's clear who the best spinner in world cricket right now is at least.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I just love that bastard attitude from Prasad. Not short of a word, and letting Junaid Khan knowing what will happen if he decides to give chin music. Few more slower balls and piched up deliveirs in the middle of that bouncer barrage would have been mighty effective.