• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is englands worst spinner

WORST english international spinner from these

• batty

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • dawson

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • croft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J brown

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • min patel

• salisbury

• swann

• schofield

• giles

• tufnell

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why is England fassinated by spinners when their fast bowlers are better off than the spinners?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
halsey said:
Including Tuffers is an insult. But I admit Giles is crap.
Giles is not crap, or did I imagine his 16 wickets in 2 Test's in SL or his series in Pakistan?!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Giles is not crap, or did I imagine his 16 wickets in 2 Test's in SL or his series in Pakistan?!
Allright, he is handy in helpful conditions. But apart from that, he is largely blunt.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
jamee999 said:
Because we need spinners on the sub-continent
Why? I dont think serving spinners who arent good to subcontinent batsmen in subcontinent does much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
halsey said:
Including Tuffers is an insult. But I admit Giles is crap.
Interestingly Giles has a better SR and a similar average to Tufnell.

In India...

Giles has 6 wickets in 2 Tests @ 33.00 (1.82 econ).

Tufnell has 4 in 2 Tests @ 68.5 (3.4 econ).

In Sri Lanka...

Giles has 25 wickets in 6 Tests @ 33.92 (2.66 econ).

Tufnell has 3 wickets in 1 Test @ 47.33 (3.49 econ).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Why? I dont think serving spinners who arent good to subcontinent batsmen in subcontinent does much.
But Giles has been fairly decent on the subcontinent.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Interestingly Giles has a better SR and a similar average to Tufnell.
True. But for natural ability I'd go for Tuffers any day. Contrary to his public image, with feet splayed at ten to two, his main problem was self belief.

But for natural ability, Tuffers.

PY

International Coach
Usually stay away from 'Worst' thread because they are negative but couldn't resist.

I'm not sure why England need a spinner in England or other non-spinning pitches. Granted he does the job on sub-continent but he has been lacking (or the pitches have been lacking) in England so why play him? If you talk about variation, why not use Michael Vaughan or Marcus Trescothick as temporary spin options.

I don't think it's Gile-o's fault because I like him but IMO he doesn't deserve a place in England.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
I don't think it's Gile-o's fault because I like him but IMO he doesn't deserve a place in England.
Agreed. Also, if he will be bowling in the mindset that some are suggesting he will in the West Indies I would suggest that he doesn't play. Give another bowler a chance (a swing bowler perhaps?) and let Vaughan do the negative tactics.

PY

International Coach
:lol:

Yes actually, he's an awesome player. :P

A product of beer and an exam caused that slip. :(

PY

International Coach
halsey said:
It is at this point that I remind you that Tres bowls seam. :D
I'm almost certain I've seen Trescothick bowling spin before (well tweakers anyway) as well as his usual medium paced tripe.