• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is englands worst spinner

WORST english international spinner from these

• batty

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • dawson

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • croft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J brown

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • min patel

• salisbury

• swann

• schofield

• giles

• tufnell

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bazza said:
As for the why play a spinner argument, because if you play 5 right arm medium fast seamers, and they prove ineffective, you're screwed. Simple.
And if you play 4 seamers and a spinner and they're ineffective, you're screwed. Same with 3 and a spinner or 3 and 2 spinners.

Basically, it doesn't matter what combination you pick. If they're ineffective, you're screwed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Oh, and Marcus Trescothick has never bowled spin in a Test-match, I can assure all of that. Maybe he might have done on some not-unusual instance of 500 for 6 at Taunton on a hazy August day as another meaningless match petered out into a meaningless draw pre-1999.
Spot the contradiction.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Spot the contradiction.
Unfortunately (for me anyway), there isn't one. I was sure Tresco had bowled spin before.

He might have not done it in a Test match but he could have done it for Somerset at Taunton in a FC game.

maximoose

Cricket Spectator
i am pretty sure that the contradion he means is he says,
'Oh, and Marcus Trescothick has never bowled spin in a Test-match'

and then says'
'Maybe he might have done on some not-unusual instance'

see?

PY

International Coach
maximoose said:
i am pretty sure that the contradion he means is he says,
'Oh, and Marcus Trescothick has never bowled spin in a Test-match'

and then says'
'Maybe he might have done on some not-unusual instance'
Welcome to CW :)

Well no Test cricket at Taunton so therefore his phrase couldn't technically be a contradiction.

But anyway, it's only a small point. I'm not one to believe in this variation codswallop because you can get defensive bowling from Vaughan in England and that's all that Gile-o is used for in England. Play another all-rounder or a leftarm seamer or both if it can be managed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And if you play 4 seamers and a spinner and they're ineffective, you're screwed. Same with 3 and a spinner or 3 and 2 spinners.

Basically, it doesn't matter what combination you pick. If they're ineffective, you're screwed.
A shame more people don't realise that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
The "not-unusual" was a reference to a standard tame 500-6 draw at Taunton.
Well, all right, it's not as common as I may have made-out.
But you do get more of them at Taunton than anywhere else, because the damn ground is so small as to champion poor batsmen (Blackwell being the best CIP).
And even if the occasions only happen a couple of times a season, it doesn't alter the chances of Trescothick (if he played) twirling his arm over for a couple of offies. Not that anyone suggested it did.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
"So basically I think England's worst spinner who has played international cricket is Dawson and Batty tied - they're both as poor as each other."

Worse than Salisbury?? Consistently woeful even after a number of chances during various phases of his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Well no Test cricket at Taunton so therefore his phrase couldn't technically be a contradiction.
Admittedly misinterpretation on my part.

I'm not one to believe in this variation codswallop because you can get defensive bowling from Vaughan in England and that's all that Gile-o is used for in England. Play another all-rounder or a leftarm seamer or both if it can be managed.
This is exactly what I have been preaching!

PY

International Coach
IMO, England should choose one out of Rikki Clarke, Paul Collingwood and Ashley Giles depending on pitch, form etc

Does anyone have any decent left-arm seamers who are also 'all-rounders'? (whatever the definition of one is) I'm not too strong on most counties.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
PY said:
IMO, England should choose one out of Rikki Clarke, Paul Collingwood and Ashley Giles depending on pitch, form etc

Does anyone have any decent left-arm seamers who are also 'all-rounders'? (whatever the definition of one is) I'm not too strong on most counties.
Only in ICC2 :(

LHB LFM

59 with the bat, 18 with the ball.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Bulbeck perchance?
Nope, that would be LMF. This chappy is called Nick Pollock and just took 6-78 and 4-96 against me as well as 71 off 95 balls.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Nope, that would be LMF. This chappy is called Nick Pollock and just took 6-78 and 4-96 against me as well as 71 off 95 balls.
Oh right, sorry - thought you were talking of a real player on the game!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Oh right, sorry - thought you were talking of a real player on the game!
Nope, just a young player who due to the selection policies in ICC2, which share quite a lot of characteristics with the England selection policies, hasn't got picked for England yet...

krkode

State Captain
Some ICC players are phenominal in the game without being so in real life (or even if they are, they haven't been selected).

Kevin Dean, Jason Brown, Justin Bates, Michael Powell (Glamorgan) are just few of the names that come to mind.

Sorry to go this off topic, but I was just wondering what happened to Alex Tudor...couldn't England use a player like him?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:

First of is there any left arm seamers that are good enough for England.

Only one who springs to mind is Ryan Sidebottom (what a funny surname - then again he may think my surname Walsh is pretty funny).