• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mathew Hayden vs Virender Sehwag

Who's better?

• Hayden

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Difficult to tell

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
If both were playing in today's era Hayden would still average 50 because Australian wickets are still mostly flat. Labuchagne's last few years have been similar to Hayden 2001-04. Both put up huge numbers at home.

Sehwag probably wouldn't be opening. The lack of opportunity to make huge double and triple hundreds, as well as harder home pitches to bat on would see a noticeable drop in his average. No Tests in Pakistan would also hurt his average.

I'd imagine Sehwag averaging low 40s overall playing a similar counterattack role as Rishabh Pant does. Likely batting at 5 behind Kohli. He would do better outside the subcontinent then what he did as an opener but not as good at home.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
If both were playing in today's era Hayden would still average 50 because Australian wickets are still mostly flat. Labuchagne's last few years have been similar to Hayden 2001-04. Both put up huge numbers at home.

Sehwag probably wouldn't be opening. The lack of opportunity to make huge double and triple hundreds, as well as harder home pitches to bat on would see a noticeable drop in his average. No Tests in Pakistan would also hurt his average.

I'd imagine Sehwag averaging low 40s overall playing a similar counterattack role as Rishabh Pant does. Likely batting at 5 behind Kohli. He would do better outside the subcontinent then what he did as an opener but not as good at home.
Both are flat track bullies. However most entertaining.

Sunil1z

International Regular

Are you saying Sehwag is worse than Rohit ?Because Rohit is averaging 70 at home as opener

Socerer 01

International Captain

huh? the only dude to not only read but dominate a rampant Mendis for century isn’t struggling to demolish the current era spinners irrespective of how the pitches fare. people really undersell how murderously good Sehwag was against spin

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Are you saying Sehwag is worse than Rohit ?Because Rohit is averaging 70 at home as opener
Sehwag averaged 54 in easier home conditions. He also averaged only 30 in the second innings when it was a bit tougher to bat like it is in the first innings in modern Indian conditions with DRS.

Sharma is more technically apt for tougher pitches then Sehwag is. Sehwag definitely way better on 2000s pitches then Sharma.

huh? the only dude to not only read but dominate a rampant Mendis for century isn’t struggling to demolish the current era spinners irrespective of how the pitches fare. people really undersell how murderously good Sehwag was against spin
How the pitches fare changes the whole game when it comes to spinners. Especially with the DRS factor and India didn't like playing Tests with DRS during Sehwag's career.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I agree that Rohit’s technique is better but

Sehwag averaged 54 in easier home conditions. He also averaged only 30 in the second innings when it was a bit tougher to bat like it is in the first innings in modern Indian conditions with DRS.

Sharma is more technically apt for tougher pitches then Sehwag is. Sehwag definitely way better on 2000s pitches then Sharma.

How the pitches fare changes the whole game when it comes to spinners. Especially with the DRS factor and India didn't like playing Tests with DRS during Sehwag's career.
only two other batsmen struck double figures in the innings I’m talking about. Sehwag scored a double century then

you’re really underestimating Sehwag against spin and how mediocre lot of current spinners are. Mayank Agarwal has his own technique problems and even he averages 69 at home

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pant is so so good isn't he. Has a good chance to become better than Gilchrist IMO – hopefully he recovers from the crash well.
If he recovers completely I reckon he's odds on to become a better batsman than Gilchrist, but even though his keeping improved quite a bit in the short period I still don't think it'll ever be Gilchrist level.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
I agree that Rohit’s technique is better but

only two other batsmen struck double figures in the innings I’m talking about. Sehwag scored a double century then

you’re really underestimating Sehwag against spin and how mediocre lot of current spinners are. Mayank Agarwal has his own technique problems and even he averages 69 at home
Yeah and that's one innings. You have that plus his 155 vs. Australia. After that there's plenty of evidence of Sehwag failing in the second innings against lesser bowlers then Murali and Warne when the pitch is tougher for batting.

Brian Lara hit 277 in Sydney (plus 182 and 226 in Adelaide) but only averaged 42 in Australia overall across 19 Tests. One or two big scores doesn't guarantee an average of 50.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best Sidhu could do was bash 50-60 runs at the top. Sehwag and Sachin consistently made huge scores against good spinners. Honestly embarrassing that people continue to peddle the Sidhu myth. He was good but nowhere near "greatest of all time against spin" level.

ataraxia

International Coach
If he recovers completely I reckon he's odds on to become a better batsman than Gilchrist, but even though his keeping improved quite a bit in the short period I still don't think it'll ever be Gilchrist level.
Pant will likely end up with a huge longevity advantage, which is all that really matters tbh :ph34r:

subshakerz

International Coach
The best Sidhu could do was bash 50-60 runs at the top. Sehwag and Sachin consistently made huge scores against good spinners. Honestly embarrassing that people continue to peddle the Sidhu myth. He was good but nowhere near "greatest of all time against spin" level.
Sidhu is one of the best but the reason you pointed out is why he shouldnt be at the top.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Clearly didn't watch him since 2021 Eng series I presume?he's world class now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clearly didn't watch him since 2021 Eng series I presume?he's world class now.
Nah **** this **** off.

Little more toxic type of posting than "you don't agree with me, therefore you don't watch cricket"

I even specifically noted he'd improved a lot. In my mind he's gone from "maybe he should just play as a bat" to "perfectly fine" - but he's nowhere near Gilchrist level with the gloves at this stage.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nah **** this **** off.

Little more toxic type of posting than "you don't agree with me, therefore you don't watch cricket"

I even specifically noted he'd improved a lot. In my mind he's gone from "maybe he should just play as a bat" to "perfectly fine" - but he's nowhere near Gilchrist level with the gloves at this stage.
Hence my remark. I find his glove.work, especially standing upto the stumps nothing short of sterling these days.

Gilly kept most of his career in Australia which is regarded as among easiest places to keep. Totally contrasting with the demands of keeping in the Subcontinent.

For another thread this though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I’ll take that bet.

Hence my remark. I find his glove.work, especially standing upto the stumps nothing short of sterling these days.

Gilly kept most of his career in Australia which is regarded as among easiest places to keep. Totally contrasting with the demands of keeping in the Subcontinent.

For another thread this though.
Has Pant ever stumped a bloke at 135+ though?