• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mathew Hayden vs Virender Sehwag

Who's better?

• Hayden

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Difficult to tell

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Nah, Sehwag has monstered some pretty darn good spinners on some tracks that were pretty receptive to turn. Hayden was by no means bad -- his India tour in '01 was pretty immense, actually (and the first ever double ton that I'd heard of), but Sehwag is a spinners' nightmare.
Give more details.

Going full Richard with the broken-up quote here.

Nah, gotta disagree here. Sehwag hits the ball ****ing hard. Hayden was huge, but Sehwag struck harder.
Saying Hayden "could" strike hard doesn't mean he "used to" strike hard. He wold take advantage of his ability to build the innings and achieve some goals.

Hard to quantify this. Sehwag has played some amazing knocks, as as Hayden. But both have also cashed in against weak opposition or made big runs unnecessarily.

This seems, umm, rather hard to quantify or prove.
I claim he does, I have qantified.

The way yo have countered, things go easily with Hayden.

Last edited:

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
This is so great.

I want more!! I want more!!
constant and consistent are two different terms, I can explain you only if you want.

Hayden was better than Sehwag in all these.
Strength, Pulling, driving, defense, attack(it needs explanation), reaction time, troubling the bowler, Reading the bowler, finishing the match, t20 cricket, bringing special occasion, driving, hitting, sweeping, batting technique, confidence, persistence, concentration etc.
Want more?

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
constant and consistent are two different terms, I can explain you only if you want.

Hayden was better than Sehwag in all these.
Strength, Pulling, driving, defense, attack(it needs explanation), reaction time, troubling the bowler, Reading the bowler, finishing the match, t20 cricket, bringing special occasion, driving, hitting, sweeping, batting technique, confidence, persistence, concentration etc.
Want more?
please do

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
please do
Consistency is understood so no need to explain it.
Constancy may be defined as a batsman's ability to play all the deliveries of same type with same skill in the same way.
For instance, a batsman who has punished a yorker outside off stump thrice and falls and out side edge to slip is less constant than a batsman who punished exactly same yorker 8 times and edged it in his ninth attempt.
Anything Else?

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Constancy may be defined as a batsman's ability to play all the deliveries of same type with same skill in the same way.
For instance, a batsman who has punished a yorker outside off stump thrice and falls and out side edge to slip is less constant than a batsman who punished exactly same yorker 8 times and edged it in his ninth attempt.
Anything Else?
If you have more to share, please do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Anything Else?
So consistency is pretty much strock selection?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
So consistency is pretty much strock selection?
I didn't talk about consistency, I did that about constancy and it could mean to keep playing without getting tired, continuously showing skill and keeping playing for long time like Lara's 400.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
:laugh: I didn't have a say, as Queenslanders we're all given Greg Norman golf books and biographies of all players who played in our first ever Sheffield Shield winning team.

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anything Else?
Look. I have read a lot of your posts before, your English isnt fluent I can tell. Google the word SARCASM or SARCASTIC. Because people are always SARCASTIC to you on here but you never understand.

bagapath

International Captain
dawood! i just got to read your post on another thread and came to know that you are a ninth grade student.

first of all, it is great to have youngsters posting in this forum.a hearty welcome to you. i am looking forward to sharing our mutual love for the game with you in this forum.

since you are very serious about your opinion, I realize that I should be more sincere in my replies to you.

so here is my take.

i have come to realize that it is impossible to reach a particular level of success in a competitive industry unless there is some steel in you. international sport is very very competitive.

both sehwag and hayden have scored more than 7000 runs in over 100 tests. they have scored hundreds against all test playing nations more than once. they average around the 50 run mark. all this means they both were exceptionally good. they are unlikely to miss out on the top 100 test batsmen of all time list.

to be so good, they both must have had a lot of steel in them. so it will be impossible to compare them on their courage, self belief, positive attitude etc. they must have had these in abundance otherwise they would not have done so well for so long.

it is perfectly legitimate to compare them on more tangible cricketing elements though. their style, success in all conditions, technical glitches, technical strengths, stats, and their impact on their team performance. so if you want to keep this debate on track, and you must because this is a legitimate comparison, then please don't bring in vague terms and definitions.

it ultimately boils down to the bat swing connecting with the ball at the correct time in the correct angle. your anticipation, hand-eye coordination, foot movement, forearm power, timing and placement all combine to do exactly this. because of individual physical attributes, we succeed and fail in different degrees.

for example, i hit myself in the toe every time i bat. my longest innings in the past 12 years lasted seven balls, all lobbed at knee height.

viru could stand and deliver his shots because he had great hand eye coordination and his timing was impeccable. without moving his feet he could reach the ball at the right time with the right part of his bat. this style became his weakness in bouncing and swinging conditions. still, he scored hundreds in england, australia and south africa.

the muscular, front foot pressing attacking style of hayden's got him thousands of runs. but against fast swing bowlers of the distant past like marshall or imran he would have struggled a lot. he was lucky that he didn't play ambrose and wasim at their peaks. but again, he scored a hundred against pakistan in sharjah in extremely unfriendly conditions. that innings must rank amongst the very best ever in test cricket history.

i think there is plenty to love in each. there can be a clear cut choice between them, for sure. but that will be an individual preference rather than any gospel truth.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
you know who said:
Anyone that’s got into the Australian cricket team has had to have their personal challenges met, and they’ve confronted those and conquered them – that’s just what it means to play for Australia, that’s the fabric of playing for the baggy green.
i voted for sehwag