• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The bowler of the 90s and 00s

Choose TWO bowlers of your choice as the best of 90s and 00s

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Now that all the big guns have gone quiet it is a good time to have a less emotional and more honest conversation on the greatest test bowlers of the 90s and 00s and choose the best of them.

I propose the names of the following, in order of their debuts:

Wasim Akram
Courtney Walsh
Curtley Ambrose
Waqar Younis
Anil Kumble
Shane Warne
Allan Donald
Muralitharan
Glen McGrath
Shaun Pollock

Steyn is still in the game. So ignoring him for now.

Too much has been written on Warne and on how he compares with Murali. This individual argument has taken place in a separate thread before. But we have never discussed this topic with all names in the mix with the benefit of hindsight. We can now see clearly which bowler had the maximum impact in the 20 years between Jan 1, 1990 and Dec 31, 2009. We can give the 00s and 10s to Barnes and the 30s to Oreilley. The 50s and 60s to Trueman. The 70s to Lillee and the 80s to Hadlee. Who gets to be the king of the 90s and 00s? Who will history consider the biggest champ off all?

Please vote for TWO choices in the poll.

andmark

International Captain
Warne seems like the obvious pick given his ability to spin a cricket ball further than anyone else ever could, 700 wickets etc. Unfortunately my second pick wasn't as scientific relying mainly on Youtube videos (thanks Robelinda2!) and so going with McGrath mainly on the basis that his action is the one which stands out to in cricket generally- not just this particular era.

bagapath

International Captain
even in this exalted group akram, ambrose, warne, murali and mcgrath are a notch above the rest and i dont know how to split them.

andmark

International Captain
It sums up England in that period that there's (correctly so) no Englishmen in either of these polls.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Are we looking for the best bowlers in each decade here or simply the two best bowlers in 20 years?

bagapath

International Captain
Are we looking for the best bowlers in each decade here or simply the two best bowlers in 20 years?
Pl vote for the two best bowlers in those 20 years. We are looking for THE best bowler to emerge at the end of the poll.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim played more of his career in the 80s than in he 00s. I reckon for the 90s Wasim and one of either ambrose. For the 00s it is between McGrath, Warne, or Murali. Very tough question

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that all the big guns have gone quiet it is a good time to have a less emotional and more honest conversation on the greatest test bowlers of the 90s and 00s and choose the best of them.

I propose the names of the following, in order of their debuts:

Wasim Akram
Courtney Walsh
Curtley Ambrose
Waqar Younis
Anil Kumble
Shane Warne
Allan Donald
Muralitharan
Glen McGrath
Shaun Pollock

Steyn is still in the game. So ignoring him for now.

Too much has been written on Warne and on how he compares with Murali. This individual argument has taken place in a separate thread before. But we have never discussed this topic with all names in the mix with the benefit of hindsight. We can now see clearly which bowler had the maximum impact in the 20 years between Jan 1, 1990 and Dec 31, 2009. We can give the 00s and 10s to Barnes and the 30s to Oreilley. The 50s and 60s to Trueman. The 70s to Lillee and the 80s to Hadlee. Who gets to be the king of the 90s and 00s? Who will history consider the biggest champ off all?

Please vote for TWO choices in the poll.
Over Marshall?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne seems like the obvious pick given his ability to spin a cricket ball further than anyone else ever could, 700 wickets etc. Unfortunately my second pick wasn't as scientific relying mainly on Youtube videos (thanks Robelinda2!) and so going with McGrath mainly on the basis that his action is the one which stands out to in cricket generally- not just this particular era.
Nah, Murali spun it similar or even bigger, but Qadir takes the cake here. Even MacGill gave it a humungous rip.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Due to when I was born this poll roughly translates for me as "who is the best bowler you have seen?"

McGrath and Ambrose are definitely top two, and out of those two I'd just about go for Ambrose.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Murali is definitely number one, for me. Waqar has a small case of being better at his peak (though Murali's peak was absolutely ludicrous) and McGrath and Ambrose were better at bowling at the absolute best batsmen but the value Murali's extremely long and scarily accomplished career adds to a team in terms of wicket-taking has to win it.

The second bowler is a far tougher question. It's a toss up between McGrath and Warne for me. Will pick McGrath.